Brad Scott can you please concede that your gameplan is crap!

Remove this Banner Ad

I note from my posts the last few pages I am a man before my time, about 2 years it seems. :p

We are attacking now, less tackling, showing some hunger, amazing really isn't it? :p

I do think the lack of continuity hurt us bad though, just not having the same group on the park for any length of time didn't allow us to learn to gel as a unit.

Tremendous bump! I remember reading that thread in disbelief, rome wasn't built in a day etc Now the core midfield group has played at least 30-50 games basti, zeebs etc we are slowly starting to see the fruits of Bon's labour. Add to that the continued improvement of sammy w, jmac, cunners, and the rapid development of harper we are quite obviously building something special! Its a damn shame wellsy boomer and drew aren't all a couple of years younger, a dynasty of domination would be a nailed on certainty imo.

Nah, you were just impatient and lamenting.

Shagga with Class was the one who could see it all unfolding.

Actually BS himself should probably take the credit.

If anyone watched Insider last night David King was talking about how Collingwood are not setting up defensively and their press has gone. Yes their first rebound disposal is towards the boundary on the HBF but the 2nd kick is not right to the boundary. Players will not leave their man to zone. In the old days they would either go inside 50 or get a stoppage on the wing.

BS is addressing the North issues over time with a young midfield.

Win ball. Use ball. Set up defensively if ball lost.

Happy handball will create turnovers but at least our players are still around the ball to create pressure. We also do not have legs like McKenzie and McDonald in our back half yet.

The long bomb to Petrie allows the other teams to double team and pick off marks for a free hit going the other way. Reckon it is our intercept marks that are up and their rebounds down.

The fact he played Wright this week shows he has no idea. None what so ever. Wright is no were ready and again this game has been shyte.

Glad he didn't listen to me

We are playing defensive round the boundry football, only handballing to get out of trouble not to create. The game plan is to kick to a tall down the line, but the tall is out numbered everytime because we are playing a zone..

Glad he listened to me!

Lets be frank, we look like millionaires when it comes off, but we look absolutely shithouse when it breaks down (50% of the Essendon match).

Personally, after two seasons, I gave him until this mid season to get it right. He looks like he might achieve that deadline.

I have never been a fan of using entire seasons as experimental football laborotories, nor have I ever really witnessed that kind of thing before in all my years following North.

If it gets us to deep September, then I will be the first to applaud him.

We're getting there...

1443544-karate_kid_v_predator_super.jpg

Speaking of the gameplan, it was interesting to hear Jack state in his interview with Gerard and Derrwhayne that this heavy handball style is just one style of play that we have been working on and that we have a number of things we can do differently.

Education has certainly been the emphasis over the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets be frank, we look like millionaires when it comes off, but we look absolutely shithouse when it breaks down (50% of the Essendon match).

Personally, after two seasons, I gave him until this mid season to get it right. He looks like he might achieve that deadline.

I have never been a fan of using entire seasons as experimental football laborotories, nor have I ever really witnessed that kind of thing before in all my years following North.

If it gets us to deep September, then I will be the first to applaud him.

He's done it pretty well, it must be said. We may have been disappointing at times, but we've never looked like Essendon under Knights or, God forbid, Melbourne under Bailey.

Two seasons, two finishes at 9th. In a way he dodged a bullet when Wells did his quad or whatever it was in the warm-up to the Essendon game which we ultimately lost. In an alternative universe we win that game, pip Carlton for 8th and play finals in his first season. But it's hard to imagine that 2010 would have panned out much differently and suddenly it looks like we're going backwards and the pressure on Bon intensifies.

I like to think that the club would realise that he needs more time to prove himself and that this season would have started much the same, but jesus can you imagine what this joint would have been like in that world? No doubt this thread would be approaching 1000 posts.

When what comes off?

Against Essendon we were smashed in contested ball.

We also continually kicked down the line to be outnumbered in the air and on the ground.

Even at the end Harvey and Campbell 60m out in the open field blazed and allowed Fletcher the angle.

Ruckman outmarked 19 to 6.

Kick to handball ratio 1.19.

Jack makes some difference, but our disposal accuracy was poorer against Essendon.

Clangers v Essendon - 47
Clangers v Geelong - 35

Jack makes some difference, but our disposal accuracy was poorer against Essendon.

Clangers v Essendon - 47
Clangers v Geelong - 35
As was our structure.

Goldy at CHB, Taz off injured, H and Petrie in the ruck and forward.

I'd be very interested to see the outcome of that game if it was played again this week.

I stated before that the GWS game probably came at the perfect time to allow us to really get the style down with almost the best 22 up and running. That run looked to really give the boys confidence in the style and their execution.

As was our structure.

Goldy at CHB, Taz off injured, H and Petrie in the ruck and forward.

I'd be very interested to see the outcome of that game if it was played again this week.

I stated before that the GWS game probably came at the perfect time to allow us to really get the style down with almost the best 22 up and running. That run looked to really give the boys confidence in the style and their execution.

IMO, the structures broke up because we were losing the clearances and turning the ball over too easy.

There's not much Hamish or Todd can do but follow their man in to defence when the opposition win the clearances regularly and their rucks charge forward.

But Goldy was 'playing' CHB/FB on the resting ruck, not following his opponent forward per se, so the whole set up was not ideal. He was marking Hurley at FB at one center bounce from recollection.

Good to see the contested stuff back is the game though. You're right, it certainly hurt our ability to create drive by run when we weren't winning the ball in the first place.

It would be really interesting to look back over the game on the weekend to see which Geelong players actually played at the centre bounces and stoppages on the weekend. This would give us a better indication of how our group are going in the contested stuff. I know Selwood and Kelly did quite a bit but Bartel wasn't in thre that much.

This will be a big test again this weekend.

Modern football is won and lost in the midfield these days. Its all about pressure and creating turnovers to score from.

My impression is we were by far the youngest team in this part of the ground and as such were the most vulnerable against the better teams. Im pretty sure Scott did say at the start of the year he was fast tracking their development by throwing them in the deep end.

It will be very interesting to see how well Melbourne go next year. If both Bruce and McDonald are gone they are going to be in a similar situation to us. I get the feeling they wont improve significantly at all and might be in for quite a rude awakening.

Holy shizz, eerily accurate. Mind having a crack at this week's lotto numbers for us?

And well played LtK. Choppy Pickett would be proud of this bump.

Game plans are useless if the players don't execute it.

Against Essendon we were good early and then we fell away.

Against Geelong we were good for a longer period of time.

As the players get more confidence in the game plan we will see better results.

There will be games this year when we will get beaten but hopefully it will be less than pervious years.

When Tarrant was in the side it appeared we were using the Rucks more to help out in defence with Taz forward.

Against Geelong we had Delaney instead, and he was anchored in defence with the Rucks being used forward.

Much better setup IMO.

As far as multiple game plans go, I wonder if teams will try to go man on man against us. As long as we have players prepared to block and shepherd it should make little difference, but it could be interesting if we are off our game.

Game plans are useless if the players don't execute it.

Against Essendon we were good early and then we fell away.

Against Geelong we were good for a longer period of time.

As the players get more confidence in the game plan we will see better results.

There will be games this year when we will get beaten but hopefully it will be less than pervious years.
I think the gameplan was fine round 1.

As has been pointed out we got smashed in the clearances after quarter time and that was the ball game. Our run and carry of HB actually helped to keep us in the game IMO, because despite being outplayed in general all around the ground we were still able to score enough to stay in the game when we caused a turnover or managed to get it through.

Ziebell was sorely missed against the scum no doubt about it in hindsight, they just looked bigger and stronger than us on the night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back