AFL slams 'offensive' web page

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are geniuses! Why hasn't anyone thought of that before?
Let's just wipe the slate clean and treat everyone the exact same and pretend that we all have the same upbringing and understanding of the world and the same experiences and expectations and the same privileges and opportunities and lalalallalaaaa :rolleyes:

H2H
"If you actually can't see there's any difference in a name directed at an individual with no baggage and a person carrying the weight of centuries of racial stereotyping, I don't know know how."

Mate, you don't need to pretend we've all had the same upbringing etc in order to treat people equally.

- I choose to treat people of all races and backgrounds equally, irrespective of the different upbringings/backgrounds we may have had - if you choose to treat people differently based on race, i guess that's your perogative....but there is a word for that you know ;)

So if the Herald Sun printed one of their sensationalist headlines titled "Black Majak" after, say, he is BOG in a dominating performance...

Racist? I can see both angles to that one.

I think the race card is over played, but some of the stuff on that site is pretty feral and absolutely racist.

Isn't that the end goal? Assimilation and integration? What do you have against treating everyone equally?

I'm not sure if you're just trolling or can't see his point. What you are saying would be great if it worked that way, and I'm sure it's what most reasonable people would want.

But that is not the way the world works, it wasn't in the past, it isn't currently and the likelihood is, that it won't be in the future. You can't just start from scratch with these things. That's the way it is.

I'm not sure Wikipedia constitutes an argument.

The fried chicken stuff isn't rooted in slavery. People of African descent worldwide like chicken. Just as the Chinese eat a shitload of pork. And Americans love beef.

The funny thing is, I read Snoop Doggs rider once. It said something like "10 buckets of KFC fried Chicken to be backstage after every gig. NO EXCEPTIONS NO EXCUSES THIS MUST OCCUR!" and all double underlined and bolded. Way to beat the stereotypes there Snoop! :D

is it about daw having KFC and palming people off or is it about the pic with him and brad scott and brad scott saying **** we gotta get you into some night games ??

that afl memes page is awesome, not sure why they would want to get rid of it, there's an NBA one, the NBA have been made aware that it exists and they don't give a s**t

The AFL would be upset by it because they can't make any money off of it

I'm not sure if you're just trolling or can't see his point. What you are saying would be great if it worked that way, and I'm sure it's what most reasonable people would want.

But that is not the way the world works, it wasn't in the past, it isn't currently and the likelihood is, that it won't be in the future. You can't just start from scratch with these things. That's the way it is.

I can see his point and I undestand where he is coming from to an extent. I agree that special programs, better welfare systems, assimilation policies and various other things need to be in place to help minority groups in the western world. But he wasn't talking about that, he was talking about peoples attitudes and societies attitiude as a whole towards minority groups. I believe that everyone should be treated equally, regardless of race, gender or sexual preference in day to day interaction with each other. Do you have a problem with that?

People go stupid about it for sure.
Anyone remember Bert Newton and Mohammid Ali " I like the boy"
It was made completly naively and was not racist at all.

Its all in the way that its presented.

Is it wrong to point out that someone is really tall, really fat , has a really big nose? Yeah probably.

Is it wrong to charge a fat guy extra to fly on a plane? probably not.

Should we pretend that someone with black skin has white skin. No.
Should we think that makes a difference to whether or not they like chicken? Most rediculous thing I've heard in my life.

1) ALL the AFL have done is brought more attention to the AFL meme page
2) I couldn't even find the Daw meme when I tried ..............

3) No one seems to be able to provide me with a single other example of any steriotype involving Sudanese people eating fried chicken.

Majak Daw is not from the USA people - to suggest he is (and therefore deny his actual heritage) is probably the only offensive part of it as far as i can see.

I'm not sure Wikipedia constitutes an argument.

The fried chicken stuff isn't rooted in slavery. People of African descent worldwide like chicken. Just as the Chinese eat a shitload of pork. And Americans love beef.

You're almost right. "The fried chicken stuff" isn't just rooted in slavery. The original jokes on postcards had hilarious captions such as "CAN'T GET ME ENOUGH OF THAT FRIED CHICKEN" and were accompanied by cartoons of black people acting rabid and fighting over the chicken. Because, you know, they are more like animals than people. Which is an insult that has been hurled at people of colour for centuries, but especially people with very dark skin.

3) No one seems to be able to provide me with a single other example of any steriotype involving Sudanese people eating fried chicken.

Majak Daw is not from the USA people - to suggest he is (and therefore deny his actual heritage) is probably the only offensive part of it as far as i can see.

You are proving over and over again that you have no understanding of the issue.

All of these jokes about black people: monkeys, fried chicken, cotton picking, they are all rooted in a belief which was held for hundreds of years and even supported by prominent scholars of the day: that black people are more like animals than humans. That is the stereotype that you are perpetuating with these jokes, even if you clearly don't know it and even if you don't personally believe that black people are lesser-humans.

I tell you who loves fried chicken. Asians. There's a KFC downstairs and boy they'd make up about 90% of the custom. They can't get enough of it.

Next door is a Chinese eat in or take away place, which is 90% caucasians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're almost right. "The fried chicken stuff" isn't just rooted in slavery. The original jokes on postcards had hilarious captions such as "CAN'T GET ME ENOUGH OF THAT FRIED CHICKEN" and were accompanied by cartoons of black people acting rabid and fighting over the chicken. Because, you know, they are more like animals than people. Which is an insult that has been hurled at people of colour for centuries, but especially people with very dark skin.

I think you're overly sensitive. Chicken is loved by people of African descent world wide. Jamaicans love jerk chicken. West Africans love piri piri chicken. The reason is because it is a cheap animal to keep, it's a cheap meat, suits all dietary restrictions, and as a blank palette, maintains flavour and spice well.

When I lived in the UK, friends of African descent loved fried chicken. We'd joke about it. It had no connotations other than something they grew up with. You can go to soul food restaurants in New York owned by prominent black people where the signature dish is fried chicken.

You're making huge leaps of logic in saying that the predilection for a certain type of food implies that a person of a certain race or cultural background is thought to be an animal. White hipsters in Melbourne love ristrettos. Does this mean they are animals?

You are proving over and over again that you have no understanding of the issue.

All of these jokes about black people: monkeys, fried chicken, cotton picking, they are all rooted in a belief which was held for hundreds of years and even supported by prominent scholars of the day: that black people are more like animals than humans. That is the stereotype that you are perpetuating with these jokes, even if you clearly don't know it and even if you don't personally believe that black people are lesser-humans.

No, quite the contrary - I don't see African Americans and Sudanese Australians as the same race just because they're black.

Just because there has undoubtably been steriotypes surrounding African Americans liking fried chicken, doesn't mean you/we/anyone should just assume all dark people were targeted into the same steriotype just because they look similar......THEY ARE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RACE.

You are proving over and over again that you feel it's okay to treat people differently, purely based on their race - i find it appalling.

So can someone please explain why someone would bother with the Daw/Fried Chicken thing if it wasn't intended to be racist?

It was clearly INTENDED to be racist, but the moron who did it missed the mark completely and therefore it's not.

I've said before, it's like someone saying an Italian has slopey eyes or that Asians loves Spaghetti - it's not racist, it's just some fool attempting to be racist and failing badly.

I'm actually the admin of the page. As of yet I haven't heard anything from anyone regarding taking the page down or deleting photos, so I just took it upon myself to delete some and take the logos off.

The one the article seems to have a problem with is one with Brad Scott talking to Majak, with the caption 'F*** man we need to get you playing some night games'. Now just because I wasn't offended doesn't mean that it wasn't offensive I guess, but honestly, the guy has dark skin. At night it's harder to see him. It had nothing to do with race, and honestly, I think placing a sub-heading 'No Memes about black people' would be more racist in the true meaning of the word.

I can admit whole heartedly that 90% of the trash that gets posted to me is awful. There are some seriously offensive ones that get a truckload of likes, but I have tried to keep the ones I re-post on the wall clean and genuinely funny. Hopefully it all blows over soon. I'm sure people are going to get sick of the page eventually anyway...

Discussion and debate are all well and good (and can lead to an improved understanding), but I'm a bit embarrassed for BF today (which is really saying something). Massive oversimplifications left, right and centre. Get thee to a library or similar.

It was clearly INTENDED to be racist, but the moron who did it missed the mark completely and therefore it's not.

I've said before, it's like someone saying an Italian has slopey eyes or that Asians loves Spaghetti - it's not racist, it's just some fool attempting to be racist and failing badly.

Finally someone spells it out. "Moron is so stupid he stuffs up racist slurr "

The only racist ones I have seen on there would probably be the Eddie Betts monkey look a like, Majak Daw with fried chicken, and one of Liam Jurrah at a petrol station. I find it interesting the article singles out Majak Daw as a victim of racism when the Jurrah and Betts ones seem more offensive. I think what Riewoldt(that s**t is getting old and I am not sure why he cops the penis stuff so much and NDS doesn't) and Milne cop on there is worse than what Daw gets.

Overall there is some real gold that gets posted and it is laughable that the AFL would make that request. Personally I feel there is not enough rage comics posted. I am starting to make a collection of supercoach related ones.

Do you or does anyone else think he does though?

Matty Richardson looks like Chewbacca and Cameron Ling the Paddlepop Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back