Senior 20. Colin Garland

It was interesting listening to the TV commentary on the weekend... Malthouse wasn't a huge fan of Garland's disposal, kept saying how he panics whenever he gets the ball. Fair to say he's always under pressure down back for us, but interesting and insightful comments from Mick.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
It was interesting listening to the TV commentary on the weekend... Malthouse wasn't a huge fan of Garland's disposal, kept saying how he panics whenever he gets the ball. Fair to say he's always under pressure down back for us, but interesting and insightful comments from Mick.

I thought that too, but looked it up and was 82%...... efficiency was super surprised

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Round 5 - Saints

K-7
H-4
T-2

Ok Garland has taken a step back so far this year imo. He hasnt been terrible but at the same time hasnt stood out at any point.

I have mentioned elsewhere or previously that i like Garland as a 3rd tall type player, or a running type player rather than the the second tall as he isnt quite big enough imo. But in saying this i dont his defensive jobs have been to poor, just that he is suited to the 3rd type role.

Playing in defence and the amount of pressure we came under i was surprised he only had 2 contested possessions, but he still maintained a good Kick to handball ratio.

I dont think he is to far off, and only needs to get a few more kicks, and tackles to really prove his worth. Boosting the efficiency would also help.

MFC: Pre-season update: Strauss to Tynan

20. Colin Garland

Col’s had an excellent pre-Christmas. He’s really improved his endurance and his repeated speed. His skill level has been good – his defensive fundamentals have been highlights of his summer so far.

– Jade Rawlings

May 8, 2011
loɔɐʇıou:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
It seemed as if he played really well when he was put up in the forward line last year. Why did Neeld switch him back? Is he so good defensively that he cannot be a regular forward? I do not know very much about the intricacies of the defense.
I think he was only there as a stopgap measure while Mitch etc. were injured and we had literally no other options. Apart from the Essendon game I can't remember him looking anything other than a little bit lost up forward.

Despite his defensive work last year not being up to previous standards, I think alongside Frawley and Tom McDonald he'll be one of our back six for a very long time. He is proven on big forwards, small forwards and mid-sized forwards, is good in the air and on the ground and his disposal is generally reliable. Boy, I sound like one of our assistant coaches!

kober3742

Debutant
Jan 1, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think he was only there as a stopgap measure while Mitch etc. were injured and we had literally no other options. Apart from the Essendon game I can't remember him looking anything other than a little bit lost up forward.

Despite his defensive work last year not being up to previous standards, I think alongside Frawley and Tom McDonald he'll be one of our back six for a very long time. He is proven on big forwards, small forwards and mid-sized forwards, is good in the air and on the ground and his disposal is generally reliable. Boy, I sound like one of our assistant coaches!

Thanks logger. That is why I ask the questions as my knowledge of the sport is not good.

Depresses me how good Garlo used to be, he actually gets worse as each season dawns.

Bit harsh off the back of round 1 of nab cup to say he's gotten worse this year.

Bit harsh off the back of round 1 of nab cup to say he's gotten worse this year.
Those brain fades that hurt him in 2012 are clearly still around

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was he ever really good though, or did we just see a heap of potential in him, and because he was so young we thought he was good? Maybe he was good, but I can tell you right now, he is no where near in my best 22. I have about 9 defenders on top of him. Too many brain fades, plays on talls and smalls, but get toweled by both, is poor by foot, goes up in contests he is not needed in, did I mention the brain fades? Him and Joel Macdonald are my two whipping boys at the club. I try not to bag players, but these two get on my nerves every time we play.

2013 Adopt a Demon Preseason Preview: 20 - Colin Garland
GARLAND%20Colin.png

For those of you who are looking for an even-handed and unbiased analysis of Garland's season - forget it. I come from the Hunter S Thompson school of journalism which says objectivity is a myth and it's pointless to even try to attain it.

I have a connection to this man that goes beyond the usual supporter-player relationship. Maybe it's because we both grew up in Tasmania, perhaps it's due to those goals he kicked against Essendon last year (which lead to *that* photograph with Neeld) or maybe it's because he appears to be the first cab off the rank as a potential whipping boy this year and I can't help but support the underdog.

Whatever the reason, I am going to do my best to stand between Col and the wave of hatred that will no doubt rain down on him when he performs one of his close-to-being-trademarked 'brain fades'. On the MFC website Col's Fan Rating (whatever that means) is currently at a healthy 4/5 (from five votes). I will be monitoring this with interest as the season progresses.

It surprised me when I was looking up his stats that he hasn't reached 100 games yet and he needs to play 20 games this season to get there. It's going to be tough for him though, there is a lot of competition for backline spots this year but I think he's got a good chance of featuring in Neeld's side. His versatility and experience will probably stand him in good stead, and I have faith that with the solid support of Frawley and Watts around him he can shake what I suspect to be some confidence issues and play the kind of football I know he's capable of.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It surprised me when I was looking up his stats that he hasn't reached 100 games yet and he needs to play 20 games this season to get there.

Wow, that suprises me too, I thought he would have been over 100 games by now.

I like what Garland brings to the table, I have him comfortably in my best 22.

Send him forward, give him a reason to wake up in the morning. Down back its a slow death.

He has talent, just not defensive talent.

Col played fairly well today, did some stupid things but also won some important contests. I think defenders are judged harshest of all, seems the good stuff they do is mostly invisible and the bad stuff is highlighted.

Because of my exhaustive and informative performance reviews (which I'm sure he's read) I can't help but take at least 90% of the credit for his game today.

Colin Ginsberg player review:

I saw the best defenders of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through Brunton Avenue at dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded footballers burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the
starry dynamo in the machinery of night.

11 disposals for 100% efficiency. 12 x 1%s. Quite a few votes in the 426 thread.

Back