Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Out: Butcher/D.Stewart, Broadbent, Gray

In: Young, Logan, Phillips/Rodan

We're too tall and Butcher and Stewart just aren't doing enough. Westhoff usually plays well in Showdowns and hasn't been too bad. Thought Jacobs was good so he stays in.

Cassisi is very lucky he's captain. I'd almost be dropping Hartlett or Pearce as well but we have no one to replace them with who will perform any better.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out: Primus

In: whoever else actually understands the basics of football.

Real outs:
Broadbent - that was truly woeful.
Gray

Ins:
Young
Salopek - won't do any good

Butcher - really not up to AFL level this year, but the delivery to him is attrocious.

Sep 6, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Swamprats
I think the tall forward structure in dry conditions can work but we aren't exploiting it anywhere near enough with tactics or skill. The passing is terrible and generally aimed at the pocket. The structure can work with a couple of talls at the top of the square and a crumber at the front of the pack. Very simple tactic, but executed correctly is hard to defend against.

If we don't go with this sort of set up, it is hard to justify having 4 talls and in this case one must go. I would consider going 3 talls up forward (Schulz, Butch, D.Stew) and perhaps play Westhoff off a wing. I will never be convinced that Westhoff can be a KPP. He is a versatile tall who should play as a medium. With that in mind there are are any ne of a number of mids who could drop out to accomodate this.

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out:
Broadbent - slow, doesn't take his opportunities and won't make it
Westhoff - been pathetic from his second year onwards
Cassisi - no longer an important player, Trengove takes the captaincy for the week
Gray

In:
Salopek
Young
Logan
Rodan

Ported

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out:
Broadbent - slow, doesn't take his opportunities and won't make it
Westhoff - been pathetic from his second year onwards
Cassisi - no longer an important player, Trengove takes the captaincy for the week
Gray

In:
Salopek
Young
Logan
Rodan

Can pretty much direct all those criticisms towards your first in unfortunately.

SupportMe

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
What I want --

Out: Westhoff, Pearce, Cassisi, Gray

In: Logan, Rodan, Young, Salopek

What we'll get --

Out: Gray

In: Thomas

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
It really doesn't matter anymore. Until we can recruit guys who know how to one grab it and then hit a target we won't win anything.

Some absolutely terrible coaching today...

Ported

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What's with all the Sal love?

He just played a mediocre game in the snafl. Pearce executed shockingly, but he still took the game on and had an okay second half. He's pretty much our only player who can break lines consistently. Westoff was ho-hum, but not terrible, and is a more valuable type that Sal.

Pearce really wasn't that bad today. I'd hate to see us without him, we'd have even less run than we do now...

Out: Gray :)()
In: Young

Only change for the moment but I'd love to see Redden in, maybe for D Stew. Westy on a wing/loose man in defence only.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pearce really wasn't that bad today. I'd hate to see us without him, we'd have even less run than we do now...

Only change for the moment but I'd love to see Redden in, maybe for D Stew. Westy on a wing/loose man in defence only.

The trouble is that none of our tall forwards is starring at present.

Schulz is a very steady 10-12 possession, 5 mark, 2 goal forward. He is consistent, reliable and determined but he's not going to instill fear in the opposition or repeatedly put them under pressure by pulling down Cloke-like marks. He also plays far more as a conventional full forward than Tredrea ever did, and we don't have anyone playing the lead-up role across HF-wing at present.

Butcher is extremely raw. He cannot function effectively in the air if there is a lack of space around him. He relies on playing from behind and swooping on his own crumbs. Hardly the way a power forward will dominate.

Westhoff just succumbs to pressure too easily. Fine when positioned behind the ball, but with a guy a metre behind him, leading up to the play, he goes to ground too easily.

Daniel Stewart is a tale of almost. He almost looked good today, but just didn't do enough to have any real effect on the contest.

Basically, we're waiting for Butcher to develop into the power forward, so need to be most patient with him to get him the gametime and experience to develop quickly. In the meanwhile, we have steady old Jay, but unless we're hitting him lace-out with perfect passes, we'll have to accept 2-3 goals per game. Given the lack of scoring from our crumbing players or mids (Brad Ebert excepted) and now that Robbie is likely to be out for the rest of this year, it's fair to say that 2-3 goals per game from Jay will not be enough to beat decent sides.

statman87

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2010
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
3 Simple changes to defeat the crows

IN
Ebert: always plays well in showdowns
Logan: Tommy's needed he always tries
Rodan: we need the roadrunner badly why he was dropped in the first place is beyond me

Out
DStewart: Just cant cement his spot
Broadbent: As above
Gray: Knee

EMG Salopek Thomas Young

statman87

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2010
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i love it how the Outs are followed by a bunch of Ins who will most probably perform worse i.e Logan, Salopek

The way i see it King Tredrea is, i know who id rather have in the 'trenches' a player like Tommy rather than people who arent trying and thats the difference between winning and losing. We are so close its not funny just a few miner tweeks to our 22 and we will be winning against top sides.... starting next week against the cross town mungrels haha

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
The way i see it King Tredrea is, i know who id rather have in the 'trenches' a player like Tommy rather than people who arent trying and thats the difference between winning and losing. We are so close its not funny just a few miner tweeks to our 22 and we will be winning against top sides.... starting next week against the cross town mungrels haha

i absolutely agree with this bit, but id love to know who in particular isnt trying?

Oct 3, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Centrals
In: Rodan, Redden, Logan (to turn 3-on-1 opposition forward lines into 3-on-2), Young (sub)
Out: Gray (injured), Renouf, Westhoff (we have better forwards, better ruckmen and better wingmen), Broadbent (not a sub)

Emg: Westhoff, Broadbent, Newton (all won't have SANFL games)

cmpower

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Pearce should be on the wing and in the centre. Only. No half back flank/quarterback crap. Leave that to Hartlett!

Back