rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Will be interesting to see if Dawson cops a suspension for the stray elbow. Love to see a comparison video with Judd when he opened up our captains face.

Personally i think it should be considered below the force required to warrant a suspension. He justifiably got a free kick against, its all it deserved.

Wonder if they'll site Milne for the hit off the ball against Dawson or the hits on Barlow.

prattsta

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2006
Westeros
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, 76ers, Steelers, Canucks
I love how keen people are to unsettle a working defensive unit.

It's bizarre.

I'm a Silvagni fan, but Dawson's willingness to leave his direct opponent to help out a team mate and/or impact a contest far outweighs any slight advantage Silvagni may have in a 1-on-1 situation.

muzzington

Angry Anderson Batmobile Extravaganza
Jun 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought you'd compare the Dawson/Milne hit to the Scarlet/Ballantyne hit with many people thinking they should have hit them harder.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
It's the same thinking that will have people want to drop half the team whenever we lose.

If people had their way - so far we would have dropped Hill, McPhee, Johnson, Dawson, Pav, Suban, Ibbo, Broughton, Anthony, Keps, Mayne ...

When we lose, what about when we win. After the Brisbane game people were calling for blood and we had just won with a percentage of 180.

strobe00

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's bizarre.

I'm a Silvagni fan, but Dawson's willingness to leave his direct opponent to help out a team mate and/or impact a contest far outweighs any slight advantage Silvagni may have in a 1-on-1 situation.

I agree. Much as I'd love SCNOS to be playing, Dawson's overall influence on the backline is greater than just his one-on-one work, which is generally pretty solid.

His approach is rubbing off on the rest of our back line. They're backing each other up much better, shepherding and screening the opposition away from guys taking marks and disposing of the ball, and also leaving their direct opponents when necessary to cut off attacks.

Dawson was in my best seven or eight on Friday. And I rated him higher than Elvis that game. I don't see SCNOS pushing anyone out of the back line at this rate. Our back six have been very solid, and very settled.

As for the likelihood of Dawson spending time on the sideline for the elbow. It was of insufficient force. Juddy's elbow was much harder than that. And it looked clumsy rather than deliberate (looking like he was trying to bump Milne's at shoulder height but miscued as he was falling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sman-21

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well from what i read somewhere last night, it pretty much certain Dawson will cop 1 week, due to previous record.

Same for Kosi

Sman-21

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oh an i was flicking through channels sun morning an 7s footy show waas on.
They had Montagna An kosi on, sounds like the Saints dont rate Dawson much, Montagna said something like we knew Dawson couldnt compete with Kosi 1 on 1.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
^^^^^^^ he didn't say anything like that. Watching the game again he deserved to get off, nothing much in it.

NicoNicoNico

Team Captain
Apr 17, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
^^^^^^^ he didn't say anything like that. Watching the game again he deserved to get off, nothing much in it.

Ummm, I think he did. it was something to the effect of "we knew that one on one, Daws wouldn't be able to compete with Kosi's size."

It wasn't so much a dig at Dawson's skills, but the mis-match between them.

^^ I was tongue in cheek.

I think it's irrational and emotive behaviour on the part of those calling for changes constantly - and it's becoming irritating to hear a weekly chorus of change to a team that is largely performing.

Can do better yes, but gelling as a unit won't happen if we don't allow them a consistent run together - they are still learning the game plan, and will be for a while. Patience would be nice

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
It's bizarre.

I wouldn't say conceding 101, 94 and 80 in 3 games is a working defensive unit. I'm taking away the Brisbane game as that didn't have much to do with a defensive unit as it did to have with what Brisbane were doing. That ranks us with 1-3 Richmond in terms of average points against. Terrible. Dawson is the weak link, teams know this and are targeting his player. First it was JPod, then Goodes/O'Keefe/Rotating ruckman and finally Kozi who towelled him.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I wouldn't say conceding 101, 94 and 80 in 3 games is a working defensive unit. I'm taking away the Brisbane game as that didn't have much to do with a defensive unit as it did to have with what Brisbane were doing. That ranks us with 1-3 Richmond in terms of average points against. Terrible. Dawson is the weak link, teams know this and are targeting his player. First it was JPod, then Goodes/O'Keefe/Rotating ruckman and finally Kozi who towelled him.

I would consider a 5 goal haul a towelling. Kosi got 3? Big deal, Pods kicked more on MacPharlin.

We gave up 101 to the reigning premiers, 94 to Sydney who did jack in the second half once we woke up and 79 to the Saints at Etihad. We have a solid defensive unit.

It's the unit to pay attention too not the individual.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

I understand it was him that shot Bambi's mum as well.

Seriously what season have you been watching? Didn't O'Keefe get like 2 possessions in that game? None of their ruckmen kicked a goal and Goodes was playing midfield.

If you're going to make facts strech to fit your predetermined conculsions at least use real ones.

Back