Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Lets say it is theoretically possible, is it ethical to knowingly sell memberships (which are essentially seats) to 50% of there supporter base that will not get seating.
i know that if i were a member and could get into see my team, i'd be looking for a refund per game i wasn't admitted entry.

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
I suppose interstate/international members might be able receive a certain amount of live Collingwood matches on the website. Not sure where that sits with the TV/coverage rights though.

I know that when I've been overseas for an entire season (twice) I would have gladly paid 100 bucks for 10 live games.

Something like that would be the only way to boost membership enough to hit those numbers I think.

Collingwood have 2 different 3 day memberships.

The ANZAC Day membership: Home matches against Essendon, West Coast and St. Kilda

The Blockbuster membership: Home matches against Carlton, Hawthorn and Geelong

So far less than 30K of this massive Collingwoood army have turned up for 2 of their 4 games, assuming there was more than 741 Port supporters on Saturday. 150K sounds far fetched and delusional.

I hope you're not making the laughable assertion that the crowd in the Coll-Rich game was split 50-50.

This isn't about dick measuring for membership numbers, it's purely a money making opportunity. There are plenty of people in the country (and out) who can't attend games. If the club can offer them something different to have them contribute financially to the club then so be it.

May 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So it boils down to: they can get 100,000 people to tick 'yes' on an on-line survey. And that becomes a story in the HS.
FFS, lightweight much?
FWIW on-line surveys find around 90% of people run their own company, and earn more than $1,000,000 p.a.

The 2 actual 'membership' numbers that matter, are 11(+) home game seated members (aka the ones the AFL audit), and total revenue.

Are you really that naive to think Collingwood or any competent business would base their 5 year membership plan exclusively around an online survey :eek:

150k is ambitious but, they are doing more work and investing more than any other club in the league around membership. Even if they fall short they will still be so far in front of the next team it won't matter.

What most of you fail to understand is it's all about converting supporters into members (of any type, no matter of match day bullshit numbers audited by the AFL) because it's much easier to convert an existing member to a higher package. This is why Hawthorn with all their children's memberships will be laughing in 10 years time.

a_fighting_fury

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Yarra Park
AFL Club
Richmond
What I'm acutely aware of is that as every club builds their membership base, they will be able to increase membership fees as they like till it becomes out of reach for the common man. An unavoidable side effect of success.

Essendon_Fan

Team Captain
Apr 15, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
They could reach this goal if they started giving away memberships for free, it would be win-win, Collingwood get 150,000 members and members get their money worth.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
Are you really that naive to think Collingwood or any competent business would base their 5 year membership plan exclusively around an online survey :eek:

150k is ambitious but, they are doing more work and investing more than any other club in the league around membership. Even if they fall short they will still be so far in front of the next team it won't matter.

What most of you fail to understand is it's all about converting supporters into members (of any type, no matter of match day bullshit numbers audited by the AFL) because it's much easier to convert an existing member to a higher package. This is why Hawthorn with all their children's memberships will be laughing in 10 years time.
I meant the story was based on that. I'm sure Pert isn't banking on it.

Pies12

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
All clubs have these 3 game memberships etc.

You think essendon, calrton, richmond, hawthorn only have legit full season, half season members? these clubs membership tallys are hugely inflated by these options. If you think this is only collingwood then please give me a break

Collingwould

All Australian
Sep 22, 2008
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who gives a toss as long as they give the club cash.

this is the thing that counts, who really gives a flying flick how many members we get, so long as we have plenty of resources to make the club strong.

I pay $60 membership for my toddler, but he's not going to any games, the club gets a bit extra cash, he gets some stickers and a mini sherrin = everyone's a winner!

SdKfz 181

Premiership Player
Jun 5, 2009
Blairgowrie
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rovers | Napoli | Victory
Some people need to forget about member numbers, and full game membership figures.. Start thinking money, if Collingwood can achieve this total, it will pocket them 23 million dollars

G-Mo77

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who cares about membership numbers...its membership revenue thats important. Numbers are just a PR excercise used to attract sponsors.

And to make the insecure types feel good about themselves on BF. ;)

Good luck to them if they can get 150K :thumbsu:

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
basically, buying non-ticketed memberships is the equivalent to donating to a charity. clubs are non-profit organisations, except the donation enables strong fit men to run around after a ball, receive massages, and help the club to pay for amusements around the club in players downtime such as a wii, etc. COL supporters must be a gullible lot if 70k-odd of them end up giving them a donation for this purpose. but i suppose it's like donating to the arts i guess.

personally, i think there's more than enough money in football than for the average joe to become philanthropist. Clubs should be ashamed in their attempts to rip-off more cash from hard-working everyday supporters. AFL players, coaches, competition and club officials, sponsors, etc all get rewarded handsomely from their involvement. hence, if i don't get the return of being able to watch games live, then frankly, i wouldn't pay for it. this belief that buying a membership in return for a badge and a couple of stickers means I'm contributing to something worthwhile is a crock.

Ugle Dick

Team Captain
May 28, 2011
Laughing at Jake Melksham
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man Utd, Spurs, Real Madrid,
Another great thread showing why we are the biggest team in all the land. All other clubs tremble before our size and power :thumbsu:

While we might not reach this target - a club needs to set ambitious and challenging goals. Glad to see we are leading the way in this regard.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So far less than 30K of this massive Collingwoood army have turned up for 2 of their 4 games, assuming there was more than 741 Port supporters on Saturday. 150K sounds far fetched and delusional.
I saw an email from Carlton's President last week urging for a concerted effort from its supporter base to reach 50,000 members.

50,00 members - imagine that? How good would that be?

Back