Push to boost Magpie army to 150,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a chance if they are top 4 every year for the next few seasons.

Throw in another flag and they'll get it.

Personally I think they will slip down the ladder soon.
You could be right. There's no way they could continue to build a highly competitive team around the nucleus of sub 25 year olds including Pendlebury, Thomas, Reid, Brown, Shaw, Cloke and Dawes.

I saw an email from Carlton's President last week urging for a concerted effort from its supporter base to reach 50,000 members.

50,00 members - imagine that? How good would that be?
It would be excellent.

Mind you, I don't view the various club memberships as some dick measuring contest, as many seem to do.

Just an extremely important KPI for a sporting club, and another reason we are three times the club Carlton are.
Dick measuring contests clearly suit you but, as I said, they just don't interest me.

AFL superpower Collingwood has boldly declared it can boost its membership to 150,000 within five years.
The membership bonanza would reap as much as $23 million for the Magpies.
Collingwood is confident of reaching its target of 75,000 paid-up supporters this season, but Magpies chief executive Gary Pert said that was only a launching pad.
"We have a target in the next three years of 100,000 members and 150,000 within the next five years," he said yesterday.

Read more at: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...e-army-to-150000/story-e6frf9jf-1226336632235

Is this possible?

Yes if they get all the exposure with blockbusters, ANZAC day , free to air TV, prime time games etc like they have, gives no one else a chance

AFL superpower Collingwood has boldly declared it can boost its membership to 150,000 within five years.
The membership bonanza would reap as much as $23 million for the Magpies.
Collingwood is confident of reaching its target of 75,000 paid-up supporters this season, but Magpies chief executive Gary Pert said that was only a launching pad.
"We have a target in the next three years of 100,000 members and 150,000 within the next five years," he said yesterday.

Read more at: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...e-army-to-150000/story-e6frf9jf-1226336632235

Is this possible?

It would be close to impossible using standard type memberships suggesting a double in revenue.
There would have to be all sorts of tricks involved with advantages in signing family members/friends etc.
A few dogs and cats wouldn't go astray, either.
Collingwood have not gone hard with non-ticketed members as yet so this may be an ace in their sleeve, but a 100% ace? Doubt it.

Not if they drop off it's not.
They'd only have access to, at most, 80k seats at the G (with AFL members & MCC). If they want to try and flog 70k plastic, non-match-day memberships, good luck. I don't see any value in them, I think they're a fad that will soon drop away - especially if sides aren't competing.

Good luck with it Ed.

I guess we are still competitive for another week :D:D

big clubs need big targets - great move by the Pies :thumbsu:

I agree. OK it is unrealistic unless the idea of "membership" is so devalued as to be meaningless but so what? Frankly everyone is doing it and Collingwood have every right to aim high.

This plan and all such plans is built on having a consistently top 4 PF GF ouffit onfield. They are coming back to the pack onfield and the window of opportunity in which the can pretend to be so far ahead of everyone is closing so they need to push every button now before before the party ends.

Good for them. If Richmond were riding the wave for the past few years and consequently motivating most of our fans to get to games and buy memberships I would expect the very same aims and media showboating and would be disappointed if it didn't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be close to impossible using standard type memberships suggesting a double in revenue.
There would have to be all sorts of tricks involved with advantages in signing family members/friends etc.
A few dogs and cats wouldn't go astray, either.
Collingwood have not gone hard with non-ticketed members as yet so this may be an ace in their sleeve, but a 100% ace? Doubt it.
I doubt it to, but what I like is that at least its an aspirational goal. In the article its not just about game day memberships, but a variety of non-game day memberships.

I wouldnt be surprised if there is a wall up on the website, where only collingwood members (whether game day or not) only have access. Look at there foxtell program dedicated to themselves. This could be posted behind this membership wall after it ends on foxtel (depending on agreements) along with a number of other types of content (or even extended interviews, where only a portion of the interview was showing on the foxtel program).

I believe they have looked at some of the largest soccer clubs from the EPL and the like, where not all "Members" are game day attendees.

Its like Carlton targeting 50k game day members this year. If you dont have goals, you will never achieve them. By publishing the goals, you are forcing the club to make sure they have concrete plans in place to try and achieve them. The members have a way to measure the performance of the board, and judge them accordingly.

I believe also, whether I am right or wrong, that once you get someone to stump up cash to be part of the club - whether game day or not, they feel obliged to make a little bit more of a concerted effort to take part either through attendence or viewing on TV, thus this helps the value of the product increase for anyone club.

If collingwood even reach 100k, not 150k - I would be mightly impressed in the next 5 years.

But we should not compare one club with another. With my club via memberships, I only compare it against previous years - have we exceeded, grown from last year. Has match day attendance grown from last year. (that is sometimes misleading due to the vagaries of the draw).

How come they only got 30,000 of their ~70,000 members to a ~53,000 seat stadium on Saturday?

Not trolling, but it is concerning to see 43% of their members fill a a stadium to 57% capacity.

Another question for Collingwood supporters... how does your ticket access work with multiple venues. ~70,000 members can obviously fit into the MGC, but what happens with Ethiad Stadium? Is it pretty much general admission and 1st come 1st serve?

Cheers.

Suprisingly, some of us have jobs. :)

Identification of a particular group within the population with identification numbers and badges? Hmmm, sounds familiar...

...and it's voluntary? :eek:

Buchenwald_Prisoners_83718.jpg

Perhaps the final solution to the Collingwood question is just around the corner? :D

Won't happen, that's an unrealistic number, maybe 100,000 but not 150,000.

I've let my interstate membership lapse for the first time this year.

Because last year I didn't get a hat with it.

I saw the membership cap as an acknowledgement of support. If they take my $75(?) without saying thank-you, then they can do without it next time.

In the end, it's about the dollars.

That's what Collingwood is trying to generate. Money. The number of memberships is technically irrelevant in the grander scheme of things.

If we were going to go the ePenis angle, then I think only home game, social club, legends and AFL members should count personally.

Funny that Collingwood also has the highest number of AFL Members on Club Support, so our numbers obviously can't be THAT fluffed up since 12 or 13K of those are AFL Members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back