Anzac Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it time to have us play on Anzac Day?

I think it is!

The afl should look at sharing this game with other 'big' clubs that will get the same crowds as Collingwood and Essendon.

Would love it if they rotated the game between us, Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood.

We still have the 2nd highest attendance on Anzac Day back in the late 70s vs the pies.

Benny Gale, Richmond Football Club and supporters.

Stuff the AFL.

Stuff Collingwood & Essendon hijacking Australia's Anzac Day.

The Richmond Football Club is a big enough club.
The Richmond Football Club has an impressive history.
The Richmond Football Club has a big supporter base.
The Richmond Football Club draws a crowd.
The Richmond Football Club has passion.
The Richmond Football Club has soul.
The Richmond Football Club has tradition.
The Richmond Football Club has a mascot and theme song that represents a fighting spirit.
The Richmond Football Club has war heroes. (Channel 7 thinks only Essendon & Collingwood do)
--Go here later---> And this is just the Victorian Football League Soldiers! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Victorian_Football_League_players_who_died_in_active_service
The Richmond Football HAS played on the 'G' during Anzac Days in the past.

The Richmond Football Club (and other clubs) need to take back Anzac Day at the 'G' for ALL TEAMS.

I'm sick of this crap turning into the Collingwood & Essendon circus.

Pull your figure out for 2013 Richmond Football Club, flex your weight, grow some balls and tell the AFL now that we want to nominate to play ON THE 'G' ON ANZAC DAY. Or are we going to always be told when to play and when not play by the likes of Collingwood and Essendon? The RFC now needs to show powerful leadership off field. Drop a bombshell (no pun intended) right into the AFL's mindset.

This is a very important time for the RFC to exert some influence.

(and yes, I don't agree with any teams dominating certain days. Get rid of the lot of them)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FOOTNOTE: My Grandfather who fought in WWII, who also hated Collingwood and Essendon, would be so pissed off to know that YEAR AFTER YEAR on this day at his beloved 'G', ONLY Collingwood and Essendon WERE allowed to play and show their respects to the Anzacs.

Re: Is it time to have us play on Anzac Day?

I think it is!

The afl should look at sharing this game with other 'big' clubs that will get the same crowds as Collingwood and Essendon.

Would love it if they rotated the game between us, Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood.

We still have the 2nd highest attendance on Anzac Day back in the late 70s vs the pies.

You just beat me Groupie...Great minds think alike!..maybe the Mods will Merge the Threads. Cheers.

How many times over the last 10 years would we have embarrassed ourselves, the club and the whole spirit of the Anzacs by getting our pants pulled down on a day that is supposed to embody courage and mateship and fighting it out to the bitter end.

Frankly, Collingwood and Essendon have done the day justice since its inception and deserve it for all the hard work they've put into making it the number one Home and Away game on the calender every year.

Call me whatever you like I dont care. :thumbsu:

I'm gonna go the other way. A day like today is bigger than a pissing contest over who's club should have it. The pies and bombers do a wonderful job of this day. I respect them for what they and the afl have made this event become.
Its good for The RSL, and it helps raise awareness of the personal sacrifices great australians have made. Enjoy the day, enjoy the game.
Peace out CB17.

You just beat me Groupie...Great minds think alike!..maybe the Mods will Merge the Threads. Cheers.
Already done.
Discuss.

I am happy for us to play on Anzac Day, but at the same time we need to be prepared to give away Dreamtime and round 1 opener to other clubs.
Personally I would like North Melbourne to be given a regular Good Friday match, but that's just me.
Personally I think this game has hijacked the day in what it should mean.
I doubt I will even watch today's game.It's just another game involving two clubs I don't support.
Anzac Day, for me, is a day of sombre reflection and to give thanks to those have fallen and who have served to allow us to live free lives.
This football game is exactly that. A football game. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's an argument and a discussion we will be having for a long time to come, because these two sides will continue to play on this day for some time yet.

this should not be about just richmond.
all melbourne based clubs should have the opportunity to play on anzac day. share it around from season to season. give interstate sides an option as well second game in perth one yr adelaide the next. anzac is about all australians not just collingwood essendon or for that matter richmond.

my brother in law is a vietnam vet a mad north supporter im sure hed love to see north play say hawthorn on anzac day. lets share this occasion around for all footy followers not just a select few.

How many times over the last 10 years would we have embarrassed ourselves, the club and the whole spirit of the Anzacs by getting our pants pulled down on a day that is supposed to embody courage and mateship and fighting it out to the bitter end.

Frankly, Collingwood and Essendon have done the day justice since its inception and deserve it for all the hard work they've put into making it the number one Home and Away game on the calender every year.

There have been many Anzac Day games involving Pies-Dons that have been stinkers. More stinkers than close games in fact.

Do you know what you're talking about?

Go learn about Gallipoli and work out the result.

So would you say the Anzacs embarrassed themselves?

Then you talk about fighting till the bitter end?

Get your thoughts together please.

Already done.
Discuss.

I am happy for us to play on Anzac Day, but at the same time we need to be prepared to give away Dreamtime and round 1 opener to other clubs.
Personally I would like North Melbourne to be given a regular Good Friday match, but that's just me.
Personally I think this game has hijacked the day in what it should mean.
I doubt I will even watch today's game.It's just another game involving two clubs I don't support.
Anzac Day, for me, is a day of sombre reflection and to give thanks to those have fallen and who have served to allow us to live free lives.
This football game is exactly that. A football game. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's an argument and a discussion we will be having for a long time to come, because these two sides will continue to play on this day for some time yet.

Said that.
And also you cannot give teams one particular day without having great close games AND stinkers. You'll have all types of results anyway.

Get rid of all these games. They were Sheedy's Essendon promotion tools anyway.

And with the recent progression of a group asking for something successfully (in this case a Prayer Room), one day soon, another club will say that they want to play on the 'G' on Anzac Day. Will the RFC be the first?

Do you know what you're talking about?

Go learn about Gallipoli and work out the result.

So would you say the Anzacs embarrassed themselves?

Then you talk about fighting till the bitter end?

Get your thought together please.

You clearly didnt read what I wrote you buffoon.

Unless these Games are shared around...get rid of them...i dont like contrived Fixtures and Games...for the select few clubs...

AFL nonsense...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There have been many Anzac Day games involving Pies-Dons that have been stinkers. More stinkers than close games in fact.

Collingwood and Essendon have been far better than us on a whole since 1995 when the tradition was started.

Collingwood have won 9 and Essendon 7. How many times would we have won? Obviously its academic, but I dont think very many.

Imagine if we were playing Carlton on Anzac Day last year? With all the build up, all the emotion and then they come out and stomp all over us by 100 points. :thumbsdown:

this should not be about just richmond.
all melbourne based clubs should have the opportunity to play on anzac day. share it around from season to season. give interstate sides an option as well second game in perth one yr adelaide the next. anzac is about all australians not just collingwood essendon or for that matter richmond.

my brother in law is a vietnam vet a mad north supporter im sure hed love to see north play say hawthorn on anzac day. lets share this occasion around for all footy followers not just a select few.

I believe they should share it around but what would Hawthorn v North draw? I'm guessing around 60k on Anzac Day.

Although I agree that it should be about the day and not the crowd figure.. You would think that the afl would want a massive crowd to make their $$$$ so you would think that they would only go for big clubs on Anzac Day if they ever changed the fixture in the future.

Said that.
And also you cannot give teams one particular day without having great close games AND stinkers. You'll have all types of results anyway.

Get rid of all these games. They were Sheedy's Essendon promotion tools anyway.

And with the recent progression of a group asking for something successfully (in this case a Prayer Room), one day soon, another club will say that they want to play on the 'G' on Anzac Day. Will the RFC be the first?
It's inevitable that one day these two clubs won't own this day. I don't see it happening in the next five years at least. I'm more concerned about the inequality of the fixture as a whole as I am with one game of footy.

Collingwood and Essendon have been far better than us on a whole since 1995 when the tradition was started.

Collingwood have won 9 and Essendon 7. How many times would we have won? Obviously its academic, but I dont think very many.

Imagine if we were playing Carlton on Anzac Day last year? With all the build up, all the emotion and then they come out and stomp all over us by 100 points. :thumbsdown:
I think you are missing the point of the whole discussion. It's not the scoreboard that is the focus. It's the concept of the game and in the importance of the day and how two already very powerful clubs (the two most powerful in the state) get a monopoly on a game that stirs so much emotion.

Make it the GF replay i say
Urgh! I hate the term GF replay. It's not a replay of the grand final. It's a totally different game in a totally different season. St Kilda and Collingwood played a grand final reply in 2010. Unless it's an actual replay of a drawn grand final from the week before, there is no such thing.
That's why I don't support the calls for ANzac Day being between the previous year's grand finalists.
They don't deserve any more of less than anyone else.

Nope. For me I say leave it as it is. We have our big blockbuster games already in Round 1 and the Dreamtime game. No reason for us to have ANZAC day instead of one of these games.

I think you are missing the point of the whole discussion. It's not the scoreboard that is the focus. It's the concept of the game and in the importance of the day and how two already very powerful clubs (the two most powerful in the state) get a monopoly on a game that stirs so much emotion.

But on the other hand, Anzac Day is very much a day about tradition and history. Collingwood and Essendon have played every year, they've made the day what it is and have pulled incredible crowds every season.

You cant take the game off them now after 17 years just because we're jealous they got dibs on it first. Let Richmond and the other clubs in the AFL develop their own marquee games. We've already got a couple going, no need to steal it off Collingwood and Essendon now that they've made a success out of it.

I know you've disputed the results, and I understand why. But I would have facepalmed at the amount of times Richmond would have disgraced the whole spirit of the Anzacs with some of the performances we've put on over the last few years. Frankly we dont deserve it and if we'd gotten it, potentially would have had it stripped off us by now anyway.

But on the other hand, Anzac Day is very much a day about tradition and history. Collingwood and Essendon have played every year, they've made the day what it is and have pulled incredible crowds every season.

You cant take the game off them now after 17 years just because we're jealous they got dibs on it first. Let Richmond and the other clubs in the AFL develop their own marquee games. We've already got a couple going, no need to steal it off Collingwood and Essendon now that they've made a success out of it.

I know you've disputed the results, and I understand why. But I would have facepalmed at the amount of times Richmond would have disgraced the whole spirit of the Anzacs with some of the performances we've put on over the last few years. Frankly we dont deserve it and if we'd gotten it, potentially would
have had it stripped off us by now anyway.

Totally understand where you are coming from. And that's another thing. I am a big fan of the saying 'If it aint broke, don't fix it'.
Is this fixture broken? In terms of crowd numbers and the coverage it generates for the competition, no it's not.

Make it the GF replay i say

The 2 grand finalists from the previous year should be rewarded with this game, then it can evolve into something special, every team is a chance to reap the benefits of playing on this day.

At the moment it's another meaningless game that 90% of the football world has no interest in. And unfortunately, the ANZAC medal is even more meaningless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back