Opinion Port's recruiting in recent years

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Re: Changes for round 3

IMO drafting Moore has just been an outright mistake.

Part of my patience with Jacobs is that he could be a genuine centre-square midfielder one day, whereas Moore I can't see ever being more than a flanker/second tier guy, even if he works out. He didn't really show that potential as a junior (which is why he is always referred to as a utility/half back/half forward) and I really don't understand anything about why we picked him and how we are developing him. It seems nonsensical.

Can't argue with that. Hindsight and all, but we "butchered" the 2009 draft in more ways than one.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Re: Changes for round 3

IMO drafting Moore has just been an outright mistake.

Part of my patience with Jacobs is that he could be a genuine centre-square midfielder one day, whereas Moore I can't see ever being more than a flanker/second tier guy, even if he works out. He didn't really show that potential as a junior (which is why he is always referred to as a utility/half back/half forward) and I really don't understand anything about why we picked him and how we are developing him. It seems nonsensical.
I might have to agree with you on that, sad thing is we would not get a cold Pie for him as a trade so what happens.... he hangs around as list clogger?

Moore just needs to show something, anything to suggest he may make it. Porthos' post sums it up. He hasnt shown he can pick up heaps of the ball, he hasnt shown he can take a grab and kick goals, he hasnt shown he can shut down an opponent or play loose across half back. He just needs to show something.

b0ydman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I bat for my own team
the sad thing is that the door on Moore becoming a great/good player is closing

closing?

bang.
that's the sound of a closed door.

slam%2Bdoor.jpg

next month he will be 21

he's played 13 games over 2 seasons and averaged 9 touches per game, and an average of 1 tackle per game...while the ball was in there a lot

He's now doing stuff all, in the SANFL, playing against kids in a reserves league

But its all Norths fault?

squinto

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A few early draft picks 'get AFL' early and are physically sound and make it in year 1 or 2 and some don't.

We need to give Pitts and Moore until end 2013 to decide their fate - how long did Cotchin, for example, take before he really made it.

Agree with you Natman. Moore may have been one of these project type players that needed time to develop? I think giving him to the end of next year will give him time to show something, especially after all of his injuries. Moore was always going to be under the microscope with being a top 10 pick. However, he may have more potential than the other players mentioned by our supporters during that draft e.g. Melksham (10), Lucas (12), Tapscott (18) and Bastinac (21) - I think these were the main names thrown around here. I think Nat Fyfe (pick 20) and Allen Christensen (pick 40) would have to be the 'steal' of that draft. If only our recruitment team had a crystal ball.

QPower

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2006
The Chestnut Tree Cafe
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port
Moore is playing in the magoos for Roosters in his third year in the system FFS.

He won't make it - no one who has not made an impact in the third year does make it apart from the odd ruckman.

He just signed a 2 year contract at the end of last year in amidst all the other documented signings.

I dont think Moore was a project player. Pretty sure a lot of pre draft judges viewed him as a 'pick and play' ready to go type.

Moore has spent his first 2 years dealing with OP (allegedly). He's started this year performing at a higher level than his first 2 years. We may yet see him succeed.

North playing him in the magoos is more a reflection of north's mistreatment of our players than Moore's output

tryonthis

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watching today's game on TV and I couldn't help but to be in awe of Joel Selwood. Absolutely love his style of play. I think Boak will eventually develop into the player we all thought he would when he was first drafted (and it helps that he's committed to Port) but my mind couldn't help but wander if we had picked Selwood in the '06 draft.

Watching today's game on TV and I couldn't help but to be in awe of Joel Selwood. Absolutely love his style of play. I think Boak will eventually develop into the player we all thought he would when he was first drafted (and it helps that he's committed to Port) but my mind couldn't help but wander if we had picked Selwood in the '06 draft.

Don't waste your time we didn't and can't turn back time. No vertainty Selwood would be as good with us anyway.

All the club and supporters can focus on is boak being the best he can be.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some baffling things happened for me as a supporter from 2009 to 2010 round 1. Banner and Moore had finally worked their way into the team and were playing well (Banner was) and Moore was doing fine across half back. Comes to round 1 2010 and both are back in the SANFL not even considered for selection due to gold pass system or some unknown reason. It cannot be good for their confidence and it could have killed it for good (Maybe so in Moore's case). It can't be easy for him to have to have battled his way into Choco's team then lose his spot and watch O'Shea and Irons etc gifted games due to age last year, then when he finally starts clicking in a game he gets ****ing subbed @#$)@#$ and "injured". IMO Moore's issues are a bit of the clubs fault and his. North dicking around with his development does not help.

I would not be surprised to see Banner not climb the hill again, he battled away for a couple of seasons to be given another chance putting in consistent performances in the SANFL, came in last year and played pretty well (albiet looked a bit slow and unfit like all of them at some stage) and starts this year struggling for a go again..

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would not be surprised to see Banner not climb the hill again, he battled away for a couple of seasons to be given another chance putting in consistent performances in the SANFL, came in last year and played pretty well (albiet looked a bit slow and unfit like all of them at some stage) and starts this year struggling for a go again..

Banner was our 23rd player on the weekend. Just to make that clear, he was on the edge of playing on saturday and we needed him.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
How many games in the reserves before we can move him away from North? Surely it's time.

Re: Power SANFL - Round 5

Edit: This post was moved from the SANFL Rd 5 thread. I basically got sick of seeing some of our players spending time in the SANFL B's and too much time in the A's and not playing AFL.

We seriously need to recruit a few more Nick Stevens'.

He was pick #25, ie a second rounder, a mid fielder who had an AFL body when we drafted him, wasn't carrying an injury, we didn't have to nurse him thru an injury for a season or two, he played 5 games at SANFL A grade level, from Rd 1, where he dominated, and Westies coach at the time Michael Taylor, said goodbye we wont see you again you are too good for the SANFL. Stevens never played a SANFL game again after he made his debut.

The only games he missed were, 7 due to 3 lots of suspensions and 2 for a knee injury in 2003. Every Time he came back to the AFL straight away and didn't go thru the SANFL.

I wish we drafted one or two kids like this every year.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

We seriously need to recruit a few more Nick Stevens'.

He was pick #25, ie a second rounder, a mid fielder who had an AFL body when we drafted him, wasn't carrying an injury, we didn't have to nurse him thru an injury for a season or two, he played 5 games at SANFL A grade level, from Rd 1, where he dominated, and Westies coach at the time Michael Taylor, said goodbye we wont see you again you are too good for the SANFL. Stevens never played a SANFL game again after he made his debut.

The only games he missed were, 7 due to 3 lots of suspensions and 2 for a knee injury in 2003. Every Time he came back to the AFL straight away and didn't go thru the SANFL.

I wish we drafted one or two kids like this every year.

Wasn't this supposed to be Ben Jacobs? Until he got the Glange he was definitely considered AFL ready and could rack up the possies in the middle. So chances are if we did draft another player like that we will stick him in the backline......

Wasn't this supposed to be Ben Jacobs? Until he got the Glange he was definitely considered AFL ready and could rack up the possies in the middle. So chances are if we did draft another player like that we will stick him in the backline......

yeah there was some bad luck with Jacobs but he played only 2 games in the SANFL, he didn't dominate them like Stevens did and he was rushed into the side to tune of the play the kids mantra. Many of us have said he should have spent more time in the SANFL to get his confidence back. Maybe he has got over the hump and doesn't need to go back to the SANFL to get his confidence.

As a 1st round pick he should be avoiding the SANFL.

The bottom line is that we have stuffed up so many of our 2nd and 3rd round picks who have just drifted thru the SANFL A and B grades over the last 7 or 8 years.

See Porthos' list of our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round drafting history 2001-10

In 1998 we were a young side in terms of AFL games but we had plenty of 22-->26 year olds who had strong SANFL background. Stevens had to compete against them, first at SANFL level and then AFL. He wasn't gifted a game, he proved himself in 5 consecutive top level SANFL performances.

We need more of this from our 2nd and 3rd round picks, and even some 1st round picks - not this continuous drifting in and out of the AFL side and in out of SANFL A and B grades.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Our problem was definitely in those 02-04 years as those players should be our core team at the moment and we only have Chaplin thats really in our best 18 at the moment...

We seem to have done better over the last couple of years but we still struggle with players getting shafted at their SANFL clubs or getting played out of position when they do get a chance at AFL. Ie: Lower and Jacobs.

That 2004 draft was a nightmare. What did Chris McDermott call it, Alan Stewart's parting gift to Port Adelaide (I think that was just Thommo, but still ...). If only McDermott knew :eek:

Everything we did that post-season turned to dust.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens

In 1998 we were a young side in terms of AFL games but we had plenty of 22-->26 year olds who had strong SANFL background. Stevens had to compete against them, first at SANFL level and then AFL. He wasn't gifted a game, he proved himself in 5 consecutive top level SANFL performances.
the 22-->26 year olds he was competing against, and playing with, played as a team and helped the rookie play well by doing so. We had guys like Lyle and Wilson and Kingsley and Wangas and Pooley and David Brown that were happy to cop a knock to get the ball forward, without being the guy looking like a star doing it.

Edit: Also, Nick's drafting was distorted by the 17 year old rule in place at the time - eg. Collingwood probably would've drafted him instead of James Wasley (Nick was heavily linked with them pre-draft), if they hadn't already picked up Chris Tarrant as their 17 year old in the first round. In hindsight, it was an interesting rule in that non-bottom teams could get good value later in the draft (like we could've done if we'd picked Pavlich instead of Adam Morgan in 98)

Back