by VitalDread

DSC00743_1.JPG

Photo taken by [name]Old_Dog[/name]

Games - 2
Goals - 0
Best and Fairest - Outside top 10

Stats History- Ayce Cordy (AFL Tables)

Date of Birth - August 6, 1990
Recruited- 2008 NAB AFL Draft 1st round father-son selection (Western Bulldogs) No. 14 overall.
Height/Weight: 202cm 90kg
Dreamteam Price: -$97,600
Supercoach: - $110,200

Finally managing to make his long awaited AFL debut Cordy showed great form in the VFL side Williamstown playing as both a forward/ruck/backman, being able to play in multiple areas on the field will help Cordy in the long run being able to adjust to any type of game style.

Playing in the VFL he managed a solid five week preformance in which he was named best on ground in 3 of the appearances, thus finally allowing him to play his first match against Port Adelaide in Round 22.

His performance was solid at helping keep Port Adelaide scoreless in the first half, holding down the defense with players like Markovic, Wood, Murphy though he only managed six disposals his pressure and attacking the contest kept PA worried about bombing into their forward 50.

In his match against Hawks, Cordy remained strong when Hawks kept pressure on our backmen, suffering from a broken finger Cordy kept on playing showing that he has the will and strength to remain on the field and play out.

In 2012, Cordy is hoping to have a breakout season and rack up a few games under his belt and figure out his prime position either being a ruck/forward or a ruck/backmen and hold his own for the future number 1 or 2 ruckmen for Bulldogs.

Past Threads:
Cordy???
Has everyone given up on Cordy?
Ayce Cordy and 'project players'
Notable Games:
Round 22 v Port Adelaide 1 kick 5 handballs 6 disposals, his long awaited debut

Round 33 V Hawthorn 3 kicks 7 handballs 10 disposals

There was some debate on another thread about whether Cordy has actually got "it" to be a top footballer. Thought I'd bring it over here where it won't get lost as it's an interesting discussion point.

The case against seems to be:

• drafted in 08 had four seasons on the list and only played 2 games before 2012
  • too light / shoulders too narrow (so apparently he will never get a solid enough body to match his height)
  • has never really dominated a game
  • has not done much in any of his AFL games - picked mainly as a KPF this year and yet to kick a goal
  • has not demonstrated those bits of magic that you often see early in a great player's career, even when they are not dominating
  • not sure whether he's meant to be a KPF, a ruckman, a KPD or even a wingman
  • was a prime draft pick (14, f/s) but other talls from the same draft have gone past him (Roughead 31, Jones 32)
The case for goes like this:

• big blokes take time, he's still only 21
  • he's been smashed by injuries each season up to now so he's never had much of a pre-season or a chance to string games together
  • he has filled out enormously since arriving and will probably fill out further. Currently about 98kg
  • he has unusually good mobility and flexibility for a 200cm+ player (they always mention how good his ball handling is "below his knees")
  • has actually shown glimpses of ability and good footy smarts
  • can play in a variety of positions
  • has clunked marks and kicked a few goals in the VFL, so he has shown he can do it
  • just needs time and more games
  • works hard on the field and in the gym - good attitude, good citizen
  • emotionally committed to the club via father and the Cordy dynasty
I'm more in the latter school. In fact I'm tipping him to kick at least a couple of goals against GWS this weekend. If I'm right he could be a very dangerous weapon this time next year, especially if lurking forward alongside Jones.

I reckon that, like a lot of kids*, he just needs a breakout game where things suddenly fall into place. This would develop his confidence and let him know he belongs at this level, that nobody is whispering about him behind his back (i.e. on BF). And it's worse being a f/s and first round draft pick because the whispering starts earlier.

Clay Smith had one of those breakout games the first time he wore the club jumper while Wallis had to wait over a year for it. I'm hoping to see it from Cordy on Saturday.

* - doesn't seem right calling him a "kid" when he's a bout a foot taller than me!

Agree with you dogwatch, a break out game would do him the world of good.
Im in the camp that he will come good. Still only 21, with a lot of injuries in the past, had to put on a lot of weight to get to a suitable size. All of it is starting to come together this year.

I hope he does well this weekend. What's up with his set shot kicking though? Couldn't even make the distance from 35-40m on Sunday, and something similar happened against Port last year.

Based on some of the things I have seen him do I think he shows much more promise than Roughead, he needs time and games something a lot of supporters are unwilling to wait for but he has great talent, is still a couple of years off though. Hopefully he can snag a couple against GWS as he is my pieman gold

There was some debate on another thread about whether Cordy has actually got "it" to be a top footballer. Thought I'd bring it over here where it won't get lost as it's an interesting discussion point.

The case against seems to be:

• drafted in 08 had four seasons on the list and only played 2 games before 2012
  • too light / shoulders too narrow (so apparently he will never get a solid enough body to match his height)
  • has never really dominated a game
  • has not done much in any of his AFL games - picked mainly as a KPF this year and yet to kick a goal
  • has not demonstrated those bits of magic that you often see early in a great player's career, even when they are not dominating
  • not sure whether he's meant to be a KPF, a ruckman, a KPD or even a wingman
  • was a prime draft pick (14, f/s) but other talls from the same draft have gone past him (Roughead 31, Jones 32)
The case for goes like this:

• big blokes take time, he's still only 21
  • he's been smashed by injuries each season up to now so he's never had much of a pre-season or a chance to string games together
  • he has filled out enormously since arriving and will probably fill out further. Currently about 98kg
  • he has unusually good mobility and flexibility for a 200cm+ player (they always mention how good his ball handling is "below his knees")
  • has actually shown glimpses of ability and good footy smarts
  • can play in a variety of positions
  • has clunked marks and kicked a few goals in the VFL, so he has shown he can do it
  • just needs time and more games
  • works hard on the field and in the gym - good attitude, good citizen
  • emotionally committed to the club via father and the Cordy dynasty
I'm more in the latter school. In fact I'm tipping him to kick at least a couple of goals against GWS this weekend. If I'm right he could be a very dangerous weapon this time next year, especially if lurking forward alongside Jones.

I reckon that, like a lot of kids*, he just needs a breakout game where things suddenly fall into place. This would develop his confidence and let him know he belongs at this level, that nobody is whispering about him behind his back (i.e. on BF). And it's worse being a f/s and first round draft pick because the whispering starts earlier.

Clay Smith had one of those breakout games the first time he wore the club jumper while Wallis had to wait over a year for it. I'm hoping to see it from Cordy on Saturday.

* - doesn't seem right calling him a "kid" when he's a bout a foot taller than me!

That's a bit harsh DW. Surely he wouldn't imagine that his progress isn't being discussed and debated to a degree. Has been civil to this point I would have thought.
I'm in the decision pending camp. In his favour, some good judges, not to mention to his coach have endorsed him so he'll be given the time they think is necessary and I'm happy to run with that.
His situation is interesting, especially if and when Campbell and Tom Hill put their hands up for inclusion. If they all show something we may even be spoilt for choice. Who woulda thunk it.

That's a bit harsh DW. Surely he wouldn't imagine that his progress isn't being discussed and debated to a degree. Has been civil to this point I would have thought.
Well of course every draftee gets talked about. It comes with the nice salary package, the media exposure and the fan adulation.

What I meant by whispering is that some fans get the knives out pretty early (which was partly the point of my thread on whipping boys, qv). This doesn't affect some players but there are others that must feel the weight of expectation if they take a while to hit their peak and they may end up almost trying too hard.

The very best players play unselfconsciously and don't worry about what others think or say from week to week. They can just let it all flow when they cross the white line. However most mortals are self-critical to some extent and get concerned about what others think and say.

You can get over this by having a good coach (I'd expect Macca would understand this issue pretty well) or by working hard on the mental side of your game, even when you are down. But the best way is to have a breakout game and then follow up with regular good performances. You then relax and it all comes more naturally.

I've seen it and coached it.

Well of course every draftee gets talked about. It comes with the nice salary package, the media exposure and the fan adulation.

What I meant by whispering is that some fans get the knives out pretty early (which was partly the point of my thread on whipping boys, qv). This doesn't affect some players but there are others that must feel the weight of expectation if they take a while to hit their peak and they may end up almost trying too hard.

The very best players play unselfconsciously and don't worry about what others think or say from week to week. They can just let it all flow when they cross the white line. However most mortals are self-critical to some extent and get concerned about what others think and say.

You can get over this by having a good coach (I'd expect Macca would understand this issue pretty well) or by working hard on the mental side of your game, even when you are down. But the best way is to have a breakout game and then follow up with regular good performances. You then relax and it all comes more naturally.

I've seen it and coached it.

Fair points DW. If confidence is an issue for him, and quite possibly it is as you suggest, then this week is especially important for him as Collingwood’s hardened backline would surely test him physically and mentally if he were to be selected. The coach has done his bit publically backing him. His selection is justified. Good luck to him.
Enjoy the game and I confess that I preyed upon your local knowledge when estimating the crowd. I hope you’re right (but not too right).

Really good article on Cordy by Emma Quayle. Gives good insight into what he was going through those first couple of years.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/shouldering-a-heavy-burden-20120518-1yw64.html

AYCE Cordy used to dislocate his shoulders doing pull-ups. When he reached out to tackle a teammate at training he knew it was more likely than not one of them would pop out. At 19, he knew how to shove them back into place on his own, a skill that made him a little sick. One day, he had to do both: one while lying on the ground, the other while jogging off. He would turn up to work, hear the team was doing contested drills and think, 'I really don't want to do that'.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/shouldering-a-heavy-burden-20120518-1yw64.html

Geez, thats a huge risk for pick 13 - a guy who cant do a pullup without dislocating a shoulder? Did we know this?

Alls well that ends well (knock on wood), but wow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez, thats a huge risk for pick 13 - a guy who cant do a pullup without dislocating a shoulder? Did we know this?

Alls well that ends well (knock on wood), but wow.
give the bloke some credit, he has gain 20+kg since being at the club, it's a shame he got injured, that stuff happens.

give the bloke some credit, he has gain 20+kg since being at the club, it's a shame he got injured, that stuff happens.

Its not about putting on muscle or a random injury.

In the article it said that his shoulders were popping out all the time under normal play conditions, and they did a last ditch operation on both of them to move some bone from his collarbones to his shoulder sockets to limit their range of movement.

Thats not just 'getting injured', thats a stuctural problem remedied by radical surgery as a last chance for any kind of football career at all.

Its not about putting on muscle or a random injury.

In the article it said that his shoulders were popping out all the time under normal play conditions, and they did a last ditch operation on both of them to move some bone from his collarbones to his shoulder sockets to limit their range of movement.

Thats not just 'getting injured', thats a stuctural problem remedied by radical surgery as a last chance for any kind of football career at all.

Hmm, it is an interesting one.

The article says he may well have gone top 5 had we not had the f/s, although it was the Saints that forced us to use our first rounder on him (they had pick 13).

Surely it was the amount of weight he gained early on that hurt his shoulders the most. Going from 73kgs to around 90kgs in around a year and a half must have puts massive strain on the joints, and his shoulders have clearly taken a while to get used to it.

Here's to Ayce getting more games under his belt this year, and putting his bad start behind him - been pretty impressive so far in 2012...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138788/default.aspx

NORTH Melbourne veteran Brent Harvey, in a special comments role on ABC Radio on Sunday night, declared the Western Bulldogs had found a genuine player of the future in Ayce Cordy.

Harvey also predicted 21-year-old Cordy would eventually be recognised as the best of the Dogs' young big man trio that includes Liam Jones and Jordan Roughead.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138788/default.aspx

His weight gain while at the Bulldogs has been phenomenal but he still has 5kg to go - he no longer looks out of place out on the football field but having the physicality to compete in the contests has brought with it different challenges.

Cordy prides himself on his agility and athleticism but playing with the added bulk has seen a loss of pace - an attribute he is determined to get back, it just takes time.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/w...article/tabid/4112/newsid/144838/default.aspx

Looks like Cordy has been struggling a little with the bulk he has put on while at the dogs.

Tim very concerned about the dogs and not very impressed with how we butchered the ball Friday night. Before you all play the man - how about we start listening to some of these guys instead of just ignoring them or coming out with comments like "Her we go" or the "Sky is falling". I wanted to concentrate more on what he said about Cordy. something along the lines of..........

Cordy doesnt have the ability or strength to stand his ground to make it as an AFL key position play.
He doesnt hit the ball at the speed required for a KPP to be that key target the dogs need to have the confidence to kick it to our forwards.
IF he is to make it as an afl footballer it will be ad a ruckman.

Comments I totally agree with - Problem is that Campbell is far ahead of him in that area as well.

Maybe too early too diagnose, but I personally can't see him developing to be the forward we hope he could be.

He could be too much of a liability playing in the backline as well.

Tim very concerned about the dogs and not very impressed with how we butchered the ball Friday night.
Tim how could you say you are concerned, 90% of posters on the board will tell you it's only round 1 of the NAB cup. Take a chill pill Tim, please only point out the positives

Here we go again - We are all very quick to point out the positives but when it comes to the negatives - "oh its only one NAB game"

Could we not say the same thing about the positives - its only one game so doesnt meant anything.
If thats the case lets all just shut up as its one nab game so positive or negatives both mean nothing !
Cant have it both ways.

His comments were about Cordy and being KPP.
I tend to agree that Cordy will not be a key position forward. Thats just mine and Tim Watsons view.
Be keen to hear where others see him fitting in positionally and reasons why they believe he has growth in his game to be that Drew Petrie type we need.

As most posters can attest, i'm a very positive, optimistic supporter. And yes, it is only Rd 1 of the NAB cup. But, I am concerned because whilst you can say it's very very early in the season, we should still expect basic skill improvement. Hitting targets and good decision making. Which were not so evident Friday night. And this is across the board too, not just our rookie players.

The difference between our ball use, and that of the bombers and pies was very distinct.

It is a concern to me only. The sky isn't falling.

I actually liked him as a prospect in his first two games when he was playing as a defender. Maybe that's an option (seems to be the answer for most of our players) ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back