Grover, the forgotten man??

freo1

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Everyone keeps saying to put SNOS into the side asap, which may be true, but I think a lot of us may be forgetting Groves. He had a bloody good year last year and I think is a great addition to the team.

He has spent time up forward in his career (more so early days) as well.

With JA all but killing his own career on friday night, I would hope he'd make way for Grover. And I think Grover could 1) either go forward himself as a mobile target, or 2) go down back to provide relief and let McPharlin go forward for a spell.

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Mandurah Football Club
Everyone keeps saying to put SNOS into the side asap, which may be true, but I think a lot of us may be forgetting Groves. He had a bloody good year last year and I think is a great addition to the team.

He has spent time up forward in his career, more so early day, as well.

With JA all but killing his own career on friday night, I would hope he'd make way for Grover. And I think Grover could 1) either go forward himself as a mobile target, or 2) go down back to provide relief and let McPharlin go forward for a spell.

not forgotten, just too old and not good enough to be considered ahead of silvagni. Dawson took his job, so now he is a wafl player unless injuries dictate otherwise... grover up forward is the worst idea in a long list of bad ideas that the club has had in the past

freo1

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
not forgotten, just too old and not good enough to be considered ahead of silvagni. Dawson took his job, so now he is a wafl player unless injuries dictate otherwise... grover up forward is the worst idea in a long list of bad ideas that the club has had in the past

Not sure where you got this idea from? He was extremelely consistent last year in a year that the backline was consistently under pressure. Based on his last performances for the club, this is untrue. Until he's had a chance this year, we can't really make that assesment.

And personally, I dont think he was ever managed up forward very well.

He deserves a crack before SNOS I think.

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not sure where you got this idea from? He was extremelely consistent last year in a year that the backline was consistently under pressure. Based on his last performances for the club, this is untrue. Until he's had a chance this year, we can't really make that assesment.

And personally, I dont think he was ever managed up forward very well.

He deserves a crack before SNOS I think.

going on AFL form last year, Silvagni had him covered, he ahd a good year last year, but I dont think he is good enough to displace any of our tall backs i.e mcpharlin, dawson or silvagni

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Even though Grover has been used as a key position back for most of his career, he is not tall enough for that position. He has used his strength and determination to make a go of being of key position back.

I consider the players keeping him out of the team are McPhee and Johnson. They have been going well and McPhee has shown ability to cover a small forward in the last 2 weeks - something that has been a bugbear for us.

However, we all think the personnel in the forward line is inadequate and both McPhee and Johnson have shown ability up forward at times. McPhee has kicked high pressure goals in the last 2 years and Johnson played as a mobile CHF in the first half of 2010 (before the unfortunate event) and was very useful, in my opinion.

I understand all the things about the stability of the defense and that if it aint broke don't fix it, but I do think Grover and Silvagni could both take the third tall defender type roll and free up McPhee or Johnson (Johnson would be my preference) to go forward.

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Even though Grover has been used as a key position back for most of his career, he is not tall enough for that position. He has used his strength and determination to make a go of being of key position back.

I consider the players keeping him out of the team are McPhee and Johnson. They have been going well and McPhee has shown ability to cover a small forward in the last 2 weeks - something that has been a bugbear for us.

However, we all think the personnel in the forward line is inadequate and both McPhee and Johnson have shown ability up forward at times. McPhee has kicked high pressure goals in the last 2 years and Johnson played as a mobile CHF in the first half of 2010 (before the unfortunate event) and was very useful, in my opinion.

I understand all the things about the stability of the defense and that if it aint broke don't fix it, but I do think Grover and Silvagni could both take the third tall defender type roll and free up McPhee or Johnson (Johnson would be my preference) to go forward.

quality post, good points made :thumbsu:

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
Our back line has been fairly solid this season - the least of our concerns. I can only see Groves getting a game if we get a few untimely injuries.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
currently: key backs - McPharlin, Dawson, Silvagni, Grover, Faulks = good

my concern (over the next two years)

If Silvagni doesn't get enough opportunities - leave for greener pastures
Grover - retire
McPharlin - retire

Key backs: Dawson, Faulks, (Anthony?) = not good. A big backward step for Freo defence.

This is why I want SNOS in as much as possible this year - and he's v. good

bruzaar62

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa

Grover - retire
McPharlin - retire

Key backs: Dawson, Faulks, (Anthony?) = not good. A big backward step for Freo defence.

Silvagni should be played before Grover,he is part of our future wheras Groves has been a loyal servant but should only play if we have an injury run similar to last year or decide to rest some of the others.
Would not like to see either Johnson or McPhee up forward ,they clearly play their best down back...so leave as is !!
Would hate to see Silver leave through lack of opportunities !!!!!!!
Silvagni is also more flexible in Grover,as he can pinch hit in the ruck and play forward

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle

Grover - retire
McPharlin - retire

Agree.

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I understand that at the end of the season last year Antoni announced that he was retiring to Mark Harvey after playing his 200th game. Apparently he was then convinced to pay another year as the club had culled a lot of players last year and that Harve's didn't want to lose an experienced backman following the retirement of Roger Hayden.

Dawson is younger and quicker and has Grove's spot at the moment.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
I understand that at the end of the season last year Antoni announced that he was retiring to Mark Harvey after playing his 200th game. Apparently he was then convinced to pay another year as the club had culled a lot of players last year and that Harve's didn't want to lose an experienced backman following the retirement of Roger Hayden.

Dawson is younger and quicker and has Grove's spot at the moment.
Actually have no problem with this. Should be a win situation for everybody.

Surely Pav should not retire after playing in the seconds in his final year, but Grover is more a workhorse player, who does whatever is needing by the club...

strobe00

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Silvagni should be played before Grover,he is part of our future wheras Groves has been a loyal servant but should only play if we have an injury run similar to last year or decide to rest some of the others.
Would not like to see either Johnson or McPhee up forward ,they clearly play their best down back...so leave as is !!
Would hate to see Silver leave through lack of opportunities !!!!!!!
Silvagni is also more flexible in Grover,as he can pinch hit in the ruck and play forward

Agree with all this.

Silvagni is contracted until the end of next year. It seems pretty likely that he'll be able to work his way into the team at some point due to injury, suspension, experimentation or something else. i.e. he'll get a shot, and won't be going anywhere.

He'll know what the coaches expect him to work on, and will be working hard in the WAFL to show it.

I think Grover is insurance really. A great player and a great servant of the club, but it's unlikely that he'll be getting a game unless we have injuries in KPP or third tall spots (hope not!). Or we are well and truly out of the finals race in the last couple of games in the season (hope not!).

Don't see him playing another game this year, but a good chance the club will look to keep him associated with the club in a similar way as they have with Roger.

Back