Which up & coming Victorian club will be next to win a flag?

Next "young" Vic club to win a flag will be.....?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bundy_28

Senior List
Suspended
Feb 26, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Deledio might be a better player, but Stants is a better mid on output to date. More CPs, more clearances, more tackles.

Foley is a better inside mind than Stanton to date, but Stanton is a better overall player.

may need to get your hand of it lamaros, even the Essendon supporters boo Stanton when he gets near the footy and again boo him after butchering it.

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Deledio might be a better player, but Stants is a better mid on output to date. More CPs, more clearances, more tackles.

Foley is a better inside mind than Stanton to date, but Stanton is a better overall player.

Deledio has played in the backline most of his career, where stanton has played way more time in the midfield, so how can you compare their midfield output??...to even consider comparing them is insulting to deledio as a player.

HurleyTheFuture

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Deledio has played in the backline most of his career, where stanton has played way more time in the midfield, so how can you compare their midfield output??...to even consider comparing them is insulting to deledio as a player.
If Deledio has played Defence most of his career how can you say hes a better midifelder :eek:

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon

I didn't compare them as players, I just said Deledio hadn't proven anything in the midfield yet. I even said he was a better player. Not sure how more clear cut you can get.

It's like saying Pendles is one of the best in the league, but he hasn't proven himself as a backman so I would say Reid is a better backman. It's not a denigration at all.

But it's wrong to say Deledio is a better midfielder than Stanton: as you rightly point out Deledio has hardly played there.

Therefore Stanton would be the 3rd best midfielder at Richmond based on output to date.

Pies_101

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
From a neutral perspective (taking all hate out of this) essendon would be the best team out of this bunch simply because they can beat the best teams on their day. I think everyone would have a sense of nervousness when playing them because you don't know which one is going to show up. The one who beat Geelong and nearly beat the pies or the one who nearly lost to port. They made the finals and barring a disaster, should make it again. Hird would probably be aiming to get them to be more consistent and should be the first out of this bunch to challenge for a flag.

Cannot see the other three making it this year. I see Richmond and Melbourne challenging for the flag around the same time in about 5 years.

I won't bother going into who has the most potential, what players are the best etc because if those players don't perform, then what use are they?

North seem to have issues. They seem to beat the same teams every year (Richmond, Fremantle, Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, Port) and lose to the same teams every year (Geelong, St Kilda, Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, ). Its strange. They need to be competitive against the better teams or else the won't get far.

I don't think that anyone would deny that Essendon at their best would be much better than the rest of the teams and I can't see that change in the next 3 years at least.

I would rank them as

Essendon
Richmond
Melbourne
North

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
From a neutral perspective (taking all hate out of this) essendon would be the best team out of this bunch simply because they can beat the best teams on their day. I think everyone would have a sense of nervousness when playing them because you don't know which one is going to show up. The one who beat Geelong and nearly beat the pies or the one who nearly lost to port. They made the finals and barring a disaster, should make it again. Hird would probably be aiming to get them to be more consistent and should be the first out of this bunch to challenge for a flag.

A bit like Collingwood back in 2007 and 2008, when you beat Geelong, St. Kilda, Bulldogs and co a couple of times, but fell off against Essendon, Carlton and Fremantle and only finished 6th and 8th.

Dunno if that is a fair comparison, but it's one to give some bomber fans hope. We do have a very young team (Fletch aside), so you have to expect some improvement.

HurleyTheFuture

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
A bit like Collingwood back in 2007 and 2008, when you beat Geelong, St. Kilda, Bulldogs and co a couple of times, but fell off against Essendon, Carlton and Fremantle and only finished 6th and 8th.

Dunno if that is a fair comparison, but it's one to give some bomber fans hope. We do have a very young team (Fletch aside), so you have to expect some improvement.
Just to clarify, Lamaros is NOT claiming that we will will end up like Collingwood, knowing some bigfooty posters thats all they would of got out of reading that post

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I didn't compare them as players, I just said Deledio hadn't proven anything in the midfield yet. I even said he was a better player. Not sure how more clear cut you can get.

It's like saying Pendles is one of the best in the league, but he hasn't proven himself as a backman so I would say Reid is a better backman. It's not a denigration at all.

But it's wrong to say Deledio is a better midfielder than Stanton: as you rightly point out Deledio has hardly played there.

Therefore Stanton would be the 3rd best midfielder at Richmond based on output to date.

Disagree.

He played there the year Rawlings took control and was sensational. I really want him to go back in for this reason. He led contested ball stats for the second half of the year. He is damaging outside but can also win his own ball.

Would take Lids before Stanton as a midfielder but obviously this is a pointless discussion between Richmond and Essendon supporters because both are passionate about there said player.

May 16, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
THIRTEEN AND CLOSING

Deledio has spent 2 years in defence. That's not 'most of his career' by any stretch of the imagination.

Deledio played in the midfield up to the end of 2009. In 2010 he moved to defence as a HBF to help release the ball from defence.

He also made the 2008 AA squad in the midfield.

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Deledio has spent 2 years in defence. That's not 'most of his career' by any stretch of the imagination.

Deledio played in the midfield up to the end of 2009. In 2010 he moved to defence as a HBF to help release the ball from defence.

He also made the 2008 AA squad in the midfield.

In 2008 Deledio had 2.1 clearances, 2.2 tackles and 7.5 contested possessions a game. He was playing midfield like Zaharakis played midfield in 2011.

I've said he's a better player, and likely will be a better mid when he moves there full time. Just, not yet.

Not sure what more you could want?

NewBabyBombaz

Debutant
Jun 12, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
When he was subbed off mid last year there were a lot of jeers from the Bombers faithful,

Let's be honest, Stanton isn't that great, he is a A-/B+ sort of player at best. But that is besides the point, Essendon have made finals 2 of the past three years, have a very exciting brigade of young talls (Hurley, Carlisle, Pears, Hooker, Ryder, Bellchambers) and Young Mid's coming through (Zaharakis, Melksham, Heppel (RISING STAR), Howlett and potnetially Kavanagh). Good range of mid range players (Crameri, Hille, Hardingham, Dempsey, Hocking, Winderlich) and then the Mighty Jobe Watson and Dustin Fletcher.

There is a lot to like about the bombers already, mid 2011 many experts (including Sheehan and Healy) states Essendon were a worthy top 4 team.

How can you possibly weight the potential of a team like Richmond, who I should add have been potential for the last 20 years against this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When he was subbed off mid last year there were a lot of jeers from the Bombers faithful,

Let's be honest, Stanton isn't that great, he is a A-/B+ sort of player at best. But that is besides the point, Essendon have made finals 2 of the past three years, have a very exciting brigade of young talls (Hurley, Carlisle, Pears, Hooker, Ryder, Bellchambers) and Young Mid's coming through (Zaharakis, Melksham, Heppel (RISING STAR), Howlett and potnetially Kavanagh). Good range of mid range players (Crameri, Hille, Hardingham, Dempsey, Hocking, Winderlich) and then the Mighty Jobe Watson and Dustin Fletcher.

There is a lot to like about the bombers already, mid 2011 many experts (including Sheehan and Healy) states Essendon were a worthy top 4 team.

How can you possibly weight the potential of a team like Richmond, who I should add have been potential for the last 20 years against this?

I would not be hanging your hat on making finals 2 of the last 3 years.

8th in 2009 and a 96 point hiding (a finals record for Ess), followed by 14th in 2010, followed by 8th and another embarrassing finals performance against a big rival. As much chance as bottom 4 than top 4.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
I would not be hanging your hat on making finals 2 of the last 3 years.

8th in 2009 and a 96 point hiding (a finals record for Ess), followed by 14th in 2010, followed by 8th and another embarrassing finals performance against a big rival. As much chance as bottom 4 than top 4.
No really?
You mean the club shouldn't have released the "2009... what a year" DVD or the "2011 - saviour has cometh" DVDs?
****, thanks for clearing that up.
There was me thinking we were literally the best team in the league. You've a particularly keen mind to discern there were actually sides better than us.

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
I see North is trailing the poll significantly.
You wouldn't have thought going on the constant main board gushing about how brilliant their kids from their supporters.

oh no North are trailling a poll significantly on Big Footy?:eek: May as well not try this year, relocate to Tassie and be done with it.:rolleyes:

Bosk the thread had been dead for 2 weeks for a reason.

Try again slap nut!!!

slimdusty4

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
ManU, UNC, Knicks, NYRangers, Yanks
Think essendon have bragging rights in this one....
Followed by Richmond, then north, then unfortunately daylight to the dees.

Amazing how 9 weeks has blown this "even" group of teams open.

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Essendon won't win a flag with their current group whilst my anus points to the ground.

There's nothing between North and Richmond and Melbourne still need another year.

Nov 30, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg
Essendon won't win a flag with their current group whilst my anus points to the ground.

There's nothing between North and Richmond and Melbourne still need another year.

I can see Essendon winning it this year with a little luck, I really hope not though

Back