Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
With the under 18 champs finishing this week and the live televised games to be shown this week I thought it would be good time to start a thread on this years draftees.

Personally i think we need more inside mids and one of wines or vlaunstin would be great. For a later pick i like the look of tyler blake who is a defender.

Players I would be looking at:

1st round:

Oliver Wines (185cm)/Nick Vlastuin (187cm) (both big bodied inside mids who are tough)
Jonathan O'Rourke (183cm) (inside/outside mid probably better skilled than the first 2)
Sam Mayes (187cm) (midfielder/forward - probably the biggest upside of all the possibilities as he's played mainly as a forward last year for SA. Now a midfielder, great kick, great mark and elite speed.)

2nd round:

Potential Sliders:
Dayle Garlett (181cm) (lightning quick, skilled mid/forward - attitude problems could see him slide)
Jake Stringer (191cm) (huge bodied mid/medium forward - broken leg could see him slide to late first/early 2nd)

Sam Lowrie (187cm) (imagine Embley)
Jason Pongracic (182cm) (big bodied (86kg) in and under type could replace Tucky long-term)
Sam Colquhoun (179cm) (small defender/midfielder with elite skills)
Rory Atkins (183cm) (hard at it inside mid who I'm hoping will last till our 3rd rounder)
Tim Membrey (188cm) (medium forward who can crash packs. IMO could be a 3rd tall behind Vickery/Riewoldt.)

3rd round:

Would be hoping to:
a) have at least another pick in this round for say Graham if not a late 2nd rounder.
b) one of Atkins or Membrey slide to a pick in this round.

Nathan Hrovat (174cm) (small but tough inside mid - compared himself to Sam Mitchell on Fox Footy yesterday)
Jackson MacRae (188cm) (creative left footed forward - compared himself to Stevie J)

Later Rounds:

Small Forwards mainly:

Chris Yarran (183cm) (small marking/crumbing forward - talented but lazy)
Shannon Taylor (177cm) (small forward/mid - comparable to Edwards possibly)
Marvin Warrell (182cm) (crumbing forward)
Shaquille McKenzie (174cm) (crumber)
Emmanuel Irra (179cm) (Quick outside mid who is a great kick for a kid who hasn't played all his life.)

An ideal draft (obviously a bit of footy to be played) in my opinion would be something like:

Sam Mayes (187cm/78kg)
Jason Pongracic (182cm/86kg)
Rory Atkins (183cm/75kg)
Tim Membrey (188cm/84kg)
Nathan Hrovat (174cm/78kg)
Chris Yarran (183cm/80kg)
Marvin Warrell (182cm/??kg)

Would cover us for developing mids with Mayes, Pongracic, Atkins, Hrovat. Small forward quality in Warrell, Yarran and then Membrey as a KPF although a little undersized.

Give the talls another year to develop and if nothing comes on then trade a CHF in next year.

Mids, Mids and more mids!

Martin is playing mainly as a forward at the moment and Foley's fairly consistent injuries it leaves our midfield pretty thin.

Cotchin, Deledio, Tuck, Conca, Foley Grigg are ones I want to keep in the midfield long term.....although Grigg is a bit of a front runner (all teams have them).

We still need 2-3 mids imo that are of a higher level than our current depth.

Think we probably still lack that one extra star mid. Whether we draft a kid who is going to be a jet or we trade for a ready made gun like Boak...would create headaches for other teams if Cotch, Lids, Martin, Foley, Conca, Boak or 1st round pick are running around.

Vlastuin for MVP!!!!!

Having Mayes would be good but still, Vlastuin!!!!!

An ideal draft (obviously a bit of footy to be played) in my opinion would be something like:

Sam Mayes (187cm/78kg)
Jason Pongracic (182cm/86kg)
Rory Atkins (183cm/75kg)
Tim Membrey (188cm/84kg)
Nathan Hrovat (174cm/78kg)
Chris Yarran (183cm/80kg)
Marvin Warrell (182cm/??kg)

Would cover us for developing mids with Mayes, Pongracic, Atkins, Hrovat. Small forward quality in Warrell, Yarran and then Membrey as a KPF although a little undersized.

Give the talls another year to develop and if nothing comes on then trade a CHF in next year.

a bit stocked on mids there... and all between 180cm-190cm. probably won't go that way but still, looks good.

Vlastuin for MVP!!!!!

Having Mayes would be good but still, Vlastuin!!!!!

a bit stocked on mids there... and all between 180cm-190cm. probably won't go that way but still, looks good.

I like Vlastuin too and IMO will be the more likely to be there. Mayes though IMO has more upside and versatility. His body will fill out and he will be able to win his own ball more and more, very quick, good overhead mark and from what I've seen he's the best kick going around. He's also a top quality forward who would cause headaches when resting like Martin/Cotchin/Deledio. I have Atkins and Pongracic who I believe could develop into clearance machines long term which is effectively what we'd be recruiting Vlastuin for anyway.

I put a lot of mids in as it's what I believe we are desperate for as well as small forwards. We have no midfield depth nor real small forward quality besides potentially Edwards. Membrey plays as a KPF/3rd tall which I think we need more than another 197-200cm KPF.

Overall its 4 mids/2 small forwards and a 3rd tall fwd.

It would give us a midfield list of: Cotchin, Deledio, Foley, Martin, Tuck, Mayes, Conca, Grigg, Pongracic, Atkins, Helbig, Hrovat, Arnot, Jackson. (probably forgotten someone obvious :p)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Vlastuin too and IMO will be the more likely to be there. Mayes though IMO has more upside and versatility. His body will fill out and he will be able to win his own ball more and more, very quick, good overhead mark and from what I've seen he's the best kick going around. He's also a top quality forward who would cause headaches when resting like Martin/Cotchin/Deledio. I have Atkins and Pongracic who I believe could develop into clearance machines long term which is effectively what we'd be recruiting Vlastuin for anyway.

I put a lot of mids in as it's what I believe we are desperate for as well as small forwards. We have no midfield depth nor real small forward quality besides potentially Edwards. Membrey plays as a KPF/3rd tall which I think we need more than another 197-200cm KPF.

Overall its 4 mids/2 small forwards and a 3rd tall fwd.

It would give us a midfield list of: Cotchin, Deledio, Foley, Martin, Tuck, Mayes, Conca, Grigg, Pongracic, Atkins, Helbig, Hrovat, Arnot, Jackson. (probably forgotten someone obvious :p)

True I like the look of Mayes too but probably won't last till our pick. If we can fix Garlett we might be in for a steal but seeing as we haven't had much success with unstable people (MacDonald, Heslin, Taylor, and Roberts I think). I think we should seriously get through to him when interviewing him and want him to actually play footy, we should get him with our 2nd pick if we have some inside word about him fixing himself.

lol we wont get a top ten pick cause we will finish 9th

we will... theres 18 teams in the league, at best finish 8th and get pick 10 or finish 9th with pick 9, i dunno about the compensation picks but i dunno

True I like the look of Mayes too but probably won't last till our pick. If we can fix Garlett we might be in for a steal but seeing as we haven't had much success with unstable people (MacDonald, Heslin, Taylor, and Roberts I think). I think we should seriously get through to him when interviewing him and want him to actually play footy, we should get him with our 2nd pick if we have some inside word about him fixing himself.
Yer I put Garlett in my sliders for 2nd round. Don't think he will get to us though and IMO we aren't yet in a position to take the risk on him.

So, with the early mail that we are looking at Grundy he doesn't get a look in here?
Wouldn't suprise me but I think he will be long gone.
PS Who mentioned that?

At this current point we have picks 11, 27, 32.

Yer I put Garlett in my sliders for 2nd round. Don't think he will get to us though and IMO we aren't yet in a position to take the risk on him.

Wouldn't suprise me but I think he will be long gone.
PS Who mentioned that?

At this current point we have picks 11, 27, 32.

Can't remember to be honest. From what I remember I first saw it mentioned here then expaned upon outside of these forums. Reasoning was we have no good up and coming rucks, Vickery is seen as a forward now and with the skills of early round rucks (Longer, Kruezer etc.) it was worth the pick. It does make sense to me as gun rucks don't come along everyday. I know people like to trade for rucks or gamble a late pick on them but I think our late pick gambling for rucks has been a bit below par (Putt, Browne, Derrickx (untested, I know), Graham, Pattison, I think the picture is drawn) and that is why this has been mentioned in dispaches.

Can't remember to be honest. From what I remember I first saw it mentioned here then expaned upon outside of these forums. Reasoning was we have no good up and coming rucks, Vickery is seen as a forward now and with the skills of early round rucks (Longer, Kruezer etc.) it was worth the pick.
I have mentioned it would be worth looking at a good ruck early to develop for life post Maric. But recent reports indicate that Grundy is developing at a rate of knots, and is well ahead of Longer - a top 10 pick last year, and who's reserve form had been so compelling in his first season it dictated a call up arguably ahead of schedule.

Will be gone pretty early you would think (being touted as top 2 now)... although it was assumed GWS would snap up Longer in the top 5 last year, so strange things can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back