Gillard's AWU/Wilson past about to haunt her?

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This could get interesting for our PM - there have been some interesting allegations over the years

Union scandal: I'll come clean, says 'bagman' Ralph Blewitt
THE former union official and alleged bagman for a financial scandal linked to the then boyfriend of Julia Gillard wants to give evidence for the first time to police and prosecutors about his role and the conduct of others.
The Australian can reveal that Ralph Blewitt, a one-time branch head for the Australian Workers Union, is seeking immunity from criminal prosecution in return for breaking a 17-year silence and providing a statement to police.In interviews with The Australian, Mr Blewitt has spoken of his past actions and those of his then best friend and AWU boss Bruce Wilson.
He has also discussed the Prime Minister's relationship with Mr Wilson and her simultaneous legal work for the union in her 1990s role as an industrial lawyer and partner at Slater & Gordon solicitors.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...an-ralph-blewitt/story-fn6tcs23-1226441845982

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did I read that right, Glenn Milne got the sack for writing about Gillard and this scandal?

tazzietiger

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
This old chestnut story back in the headlines now is it.

INTERNAL documents from an exhaustive police probe into a union funds scandal in the 1990s show detectives suspected former Australian Workers' Union boss Bruce Wilson and his then alleged bagman, Ralph Blewitt, were "crooks" and wanted them criminally prosecuted over a $400,000-plus alleged fraud.
The documents from the police file include letters showing leaders of the powerful AWU, which remains the most influential industrial supporter of the federal Labor government, were deeply annoyed that the two men were not charged with criminal offences.
Most of the funds that allegedly went missing had been paid into an entity, the AWU Workplace Reform Association.
Julia Gillard, as a solicitor at the time for Slater & Gordon lawyers in Melbourne, which acted for Mr Wilson, Mr Blewitt and the AWU, did legal work related to the establishment of the association in Western Australia.
At the time, Mr Wilson and the Prime Minister were in a close relationship. Ms Gillard has repeatedly and strenuously denied that she had any knowledge of what the association was going to be used for, and has also denied receiving any benefit. She has declined to provide further comment about her role at the time and referred the newspaper to her previous strong denials of wrongdoing.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...e-wilson-charged/story-fn6tcs23-1226442634336

ralphmalph

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2004
milwaukee
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Exactly what is it she is supposed to have done? What does 'establishment of the association' entail? Drafting a constitution? Any suggestions?

It's not very clear - apart from the personal relationship with the guy and there's nothing on him, yet. Is there some crime beyond associating with him and if so can someone articulate it because so far it seems like not much more than old rumours.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Could you elaborate?

This post and the links within are very interesting - very much worth reading

Julia Gillard is alleged to have ripped off $57,500 for herself. Of which $17,500 was spent on clothing at Town Mode, which was a women’s fashion house in Melbourne. Mr Cambridge has given evidence about the likely proceeds of this. And $40,000 was spent on renovations to her house in Melbourne. This shows up in the Victorian Parliament Hansard on the 28th February 2001 and the 2nd May 2001.

http://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com...bruce-wilson-julia-gillard-awu-fraud-scandal/

If you don't like that site, you'll find plenty of other references with a search.

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
I got a tip off from one of my press gallery contacts a couple weeks ago that this issue was gonna resurface in a big way.
Politically, union culcha aspect is the most damaging - comes back on Shorten, too.

noddy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 21, 2002
Land of the Big Red Cloud
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
/The Bays/Man U

noddy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 21, 2002
Land of the Big Red Cloud
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
/The Bays/Man U
I got a tip off from one of my press gallery contacts a couple weeks ago that this issue was gonna resurface in a big way.
Politically, union culcha aspect is the most damaging - comes back on Shorten, too.

Well if this story is on the money then Julia deserves all she will get, until then all you right wing true believers can froth at the mouth as much you like.:)

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
Well if this story is on the money then Julia deserves all she will get, until then all you right wing true believers can froth at the mouth as much you like.:)

I find it hard to believe JG was in it for personal gain. More likely got caught up in the Mates "that's how we do it" Act. But she was in her mid 30s and a partner in Slater \Gordon at the time. Ergo, no naiive novice. When it came to light she left S/G and never practised law again.
AWU Bruvvers then engaged in cover up. Should we be surprised?

The mud's going to be thrown at her by the Krudd backers -McClelland fired the first shot and put stuff on the record under privilege.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has she ever explained her involvement apart from being young and niaive?

This old chestnut story back in the headlines now is it.
Your link is quite interesting

The police running-sheet states that "suspect withdrawals" were made to buy a Melbourne house at the centre of the alleged fraud, in Kerr Street, Fitzroy, in 1993. Mr Blewitt was the legal owner of the house, purchased with allegedly stolen money for the use of Mr Wilson in a transaction handled and part-financed by Slater & Gordon solicitors. The firm waived its conveyancing fees....

Ian Cambridge, then national head of the AWU (and now a Fair Work commissioner), stated in an affidavit in the Industrial Relations Court in 1996 that he was "unable to understand how Slater and Gordon, who were then acting for the Victoria Branch of the Union, could have permitted the use of funds which were obviously taken from the union, in the purchase of private property of this nature, without seeking and obtaining proper authority from the union".
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...e-wilson-charged/story-fn6tcs23-1226442634336

I wonder who at Slater and Gordon did that?

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Being a partner at Slaters is shameful enough.

Gillard gotta give Ian Thorpe the 101 in beards.

What is with the current Slaters ad campaigns.

Why did they float on the stockmarket? There are only so much class action suits re:smoking and asbestos.

To float a company that earns its revenues in class actions, and requires growth as a listed entity, is pretty short sighted I reckon. What potential do they have in taking other income streams in the law? I would not be buying SG, or maurice blackburn cashman. I dont have any intrinsic disagreement with those firms. But was not the wigs better when they did not advertise

edit: were not wigs/was not law institute

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
I find it hard to believe JG was in it for personal gain. More likely got caught up in the Mates "that's how we do it" Act. But she was in her mid 30s and a partner in Slater \Gordon at the time. Ergo, no naiive novice. When it came to light she left S/G and never practised law again.
AWU Bruvvers then engaged in cover up. Should we be surprised?

The mud's going to be thrown at her by the Krudd backers -McClelland fired the first shot and put stuff on the record under privilege.

She was only a mere slip of a thing at 31! I had a bit to do with her then because I acted by the Shearer's Union who the AWU was out to crush. Bruce Wilson was a devious bastard but he was her client and she drew up the paperwork for the trust on instructions - and she was living with him at the time. That might be innocent or it might be fishy - who knows - bloody long time ago now. I wish McClelland would stop whining like a bitch (by which I mean a female dog)

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Gillard gotta give Ian Thorpe the 101 in beards.

What is with the current Slaters ad campaigns.

Why did they float on the stockmarket? There are only so much class action suits re:smoking and asbestos.

To float a company that earns its revenues in class actions, and requires growth as a listed entity, is pretty short sighted I reckon. What potential do they have in taking other income streams in the law? I would not be buying SG, or maurice blackburn cashman. I dont have any intrinsic disagreement with those firms. But was not the wigs better when they did not advertise

It also cuts across a number of ethical obligations in your duty as a legal practitioner. Particularly the conflict of returns to shareholders and duties to clients - it might be part of your professional duty to advise a client to an outcome that may not maximise the money the firm makes out of it.

Windhover

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2010
Ruffy
AFL Club
Carlton
Read the links to what was said under parliamentary privilege? I slecetd that because it seems to have most of the allegations.

Plenty other sites for your to look at about, like this rabid right wing lot

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/08/29/milne/
Yeah good one DR. What part of the crikey link do you say actually supports any allegations of wrong-doing by Julia? It seems to me it explains clearly enough even for dullards to follow that the story is just utter rubbish.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah good one DR. What part of the crikey link do you say actually supports any allegations of wrong-doing by Julia? It seems to me it explains clearly enough even for dullards to follow that the story is just utter rubbish.

He asked what the allegations were, and didn't like the first link.

If you've read the thread and the links, you'd understand that a key person has come forward to blow the whistle.

Whether the allegations aired in the Vic parliament against Gillard are accurate or crap, it looks we may find out soon.

Windhover

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2010
Ruffy
AFL Club
Carlton
He asked what the allegations were, and didn't like the first link.

If you've read the thread and the links, you'd understand that a key person has come forward to blow the whistle.

Whether the allegations aired in the Vic parliament against Gillard are accurate or crap, it looks we may find out soon.
The "key person" to have come forward is apparently Ralph Blewitt, a chap whose "coming clean" faces its very own credibility challenges. I note after all that he seeks indemnity from prosecution. There is nothing in the Crikey link that in anyway at all suggests any wrong-doing by Julia. Even your kangaroocourt link is shy on any sustantive details. Finally there is almost nothing in either of the Vic Parliament Hansard reports. In fact the only relevant quote I could find was this from Andrew McIntosh, who is not a guttersnipe:
On 13 February Mr Blewitt purchased a property in Victoria for $230 000, paying a deposit of $23 000. This happened three days after he was given a cash cheque for $25 000. He nominated a firm called Slater and Gordon to handle the transaction. I emphasise that I make no allegation against Slater and Gordon.
So is this as good as it gets? I do hope DR GJ and others are holding their collective breaths.

Windhover

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2010
Ruffy
AFL Club
Carlton
It also cuts across a number of ethical obligations in your duty as a legal practitioner. Particularly the conflict of returns to shareholders and duties to clients - it might be part of your professional duty to advise a client to an outcome that may not maximise the money the firm makes out of it.
First, Slug and Glug going corporate has nothing to do with Julia as this happened well after she left.
Secondly, I do not understand the supposed conflict you purport to raise. A lawyer at Slug and Glug has an overriding professional duty to the Court (and then the client). It is only in the context of those overriding obligations that such a lawyer has any obligation to shareholders. After all, a shareholder will understand that Slug and Glug will make money by lawfully (ethically) conducting its legal practice. If Slug and Glug ever failed to act ethically on each such occasion there would be a risk to profit. But maybe you can explain what I am missing.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
She was only a mere slip of a thing at 31! I had a bit to do with her then because I acted by the Shearer's Union who the AWU was out to crush. Bruce Wilson was a devious bastard but he was her client and she drew up the paperwork for the trust on instructions - and she was living with him at the time. That might be innocent or it might be fishy - who knows - bloody long time ago now. I wish McClelland would stop whining like a bitch (by which I mean a female dog)
Gillard was just an equity partner (?), not conflating her were bishop who was state mnging ptner at ClUtz WA

cos she must'a' knicked off and advised ?Cain? on Spring st about 31. Was she not advising someone high up in a state Labour gov't?

Back