V.F.A in the 80's

Remove this Banner Ad

HULK HOGAN

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2007
Epping
AFL Club
Essendon
Preston were the team I followed in the 80's, I had some fantastic times at the club, some great memories.
Did anybody else follow the good old V.F.A ?
Ray Shaw, Johnny Bourke, Spider Shaw, Andrew Plowman, Shane Halas and Tony Russell just to name a few Bullant stars.
Cramer st oval, Port and Willys grounds.
Doing the scoreboard at Preston, going into heaps of Pre game meetings as a kid who loved footy.
Getting on tv for the telivied games. Lol those were the days.
listening to the great E.J Whitten speak to the Bullants before the 84 gf against Frankston, the Dolphins kicked the first 6 goals of the game. Thank god the Bullants came back.

I was born early 90s and so feel extremely envious of the way my family describe Cramer Street in the early/mid 80s :(

Sadly By the late 80s sadly the vfa was shot. South going to syd, army cup games & the $$$ needed to stay afloat cost many vfa clubs. I would be pretty confident in saying all the former vfa clubs still in the vfl now were on deaths door at some stage.

North port screams vfa to me. Besides the sydney alliginment the boys at north port have had the best crowd numbers for the past decade many of which were from the vfa days.

Some of the players from other clubs who's stood out to me form the good old days.
Preston- Jamie Shaw, John Bourke , Shane Halas, Tony Russell, Gratz Salvador, Joe Lumicisi, Ray Shaw (Go Bullants!!)
Coburg - Phil Cleary, Brad Nimmo, Gary Halbert, Geoff Angwin , Robert Evans, Ken Ingram, Billy Kaakour.
Port Melb- Fred Cook, Ian Cooper, Tony Ebeyer, Brendan Kavanagh, Greg Dermott, Vic Annenson, Gary Brice.
Williamstown- Terry Wheeler, Barry Round , Saade Ghazi, Mark Fotheringham, Ian Rickman, Kym Kershaw.
Sandringham- Rex Hunt, Ken Mansfield , Ross Brewer, Peter Fitzpatrick.
Brunswick- Barry Nolan, Mark Jacko Jackson, Steve Parsons, Colin Baker.
Geelong West- Joe Radojovic, Fraser Murphy,
Frankston- Peter Geddes, Mark Czarnecki, ?? Boyd , Walsh, Cain

Hope those names jolted a few memories for some. next post I will put up some of my old Vfa Stories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had some amazing Sundays at Cramer st. and all the other grounds Including the Junction Oval.

So many people did, in that light it is so disgusting that the VFL/AFL has whitewashed VFA history to the point where everyone my age believes the VFL/AFL was the only game that ever existed in this town

Yes so true, without contradicting ourselves the only hope we have of getting anything close is the Afl clubs going alone at Vfl level. What that does to the likes of Preston and Coburg .....well who knows.

Gazie was a gun!

John bourke was the bloke who pushed the upmire yeah?

Imo phil clearly is the biggest vfa legend. He has done more for the gane than anyone! (player coach media)

Cleary needs to go back and be president to keep coburg fc afloat when they go standalone

Gazie was a gun!

John bourke was the bloke who pushed the upmire yeah?

Imo phil clearly is the biggest vfa legend. He has done more for the gane than anyone! (player coach media)

Cleary needs to go back and be president to keep coburg fc afloat when they go standalone
Hated Ghazi when he was at Willy, then he came and coached my local club and thought he was fantastic, he'd even had a hair cut lol.
Have had numerous beers with Bourkey great fella who loves a beer and a punt. Very intelligent guy , its ashame his carrer was tarnished by that incident. He did kick a lot of goals in Preston's back to back flags 83-84

70s where i went to school everyone wanted to be a Frosty Miller ( Dandenong ) I followed The Bloods And Dandenong....Can remember Fred cook ( Port )and Phil Cleary ( Coburg ) but must say my memories of 70s are REAL CLOUDY was a while ago.

I saw most of the end of Spider Shaw's career live. Too young to remember though :p

Imo my fav vfa ground is north port close 2nd is frankston.

The vfl grand final hopfully is 2 vfa clubs again this year
Port is a Special ground, drove past it last week just after being told the company I worked for had gone bust and I was out of a job, still managed a smile though lol
I remember a terrible smell used to come across that ground from the old soap factory.... Eeww!

70s where i went to school everyone wanted to be a Frosty Miller ( Dandenong ) I followed The Bloods And Dandenong....Can remember Fred cook ( Port )and Phil Cleary ( Coburg ) but must say my memories of 70s are REAL CLOUDY was a while ago.

Do you remember Kevin Shinners at Dandy as well?

Love those Oakleigh jumpers - great colour combination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back