Remove this Banner Ad

WINGARD%20Chad.png

Height: 181 cm

Weight: 82 kg

Date of Birth: 29th September 1993

Nickname: Wings

Twitter Handle: chadwingard20

Position: Midfielder/Forward

Recruited From: Sturt (2011 National Draft Pick #6)

Career Games (to end of 2015): 89 (45 wins, 1 draw, 43 losses)

Career Goals (to end of 2015): 148

For more career stats click here

Honours:
  • 2012 AFL Rising Star Nominee
  • 2012 PAFC Gavin Wanganeen Medal (Best Player U21)
  • 2013, 2015 AFL All Australian
  • 2013 PAFC Supporter's Player of the Year
  • 2013 PAFC John Cahill Medal (B&F)
  • 2014 AFL Mark of the Year
  • 2015 PAFC 2nd B&F
  • 2015 PAFC Leading Goalkicker (53)

More info on Chad Wingard:
If Chad entered 2015 as an emerging star of the competition, he finished it as one of its fully fledged superstars. The statistics say it all. He booted a career high 53 goals. He kicked multiple goals in every game from round 8 to 22 inclusive. He kicked at least one goal in every game until round 23. He simply found a way to influence each and every game and became the outright most dangerous player in our forward line. As usual, he took marks, kicked goals from angles, was deadly from set shots and bobbed up in the midfield on occasion. Chad’s best games were numerous and frequent but probably highlighted by his 23 disposals and 3 goals which had a big say in separating what had been a close game against the Bulldogs in round 10, his 27 disposals and 4 goals a week later against Geelong and 20 disposals and 4 goals against Hawthorn in round 21 after nearly being knocked out when Luke Hodge jammed his head and neck between a goal post. His season was crowned with a second All Australian selection, a stunning achievement for a player having completed just his fourth year at AFL level.

Highlight Reel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wingard impressed during the practice match which should see him get plenty of NAB cup action, but don't expect to see him play a lot of AFL games this year as he still needs to build up his fitness base.

Link

Top Pick A Certain Starter
Despite naming Wingard a certain starter next Sunday, Primus said the 18-year-old's fitness base isn't where it needs to be to play regular AFL football.

"He's classy with the ball, but to play a full game and spend a bit of time out there is where we've got to get him to because he's probably not quite there yet."

Link

The anticipation for Chad's debut is building up.

Link

The Power of Chad

cwbb.jpg

NOT SINCE Hamish Hartlett earned his AFL stripes in round four of 2009 has as much anticipation surrounded the debut of a Port Adelaide player as it does Chad Wingard.

Pick number six at last year's NAB AFL Draft, Wingard, from SANFL club Sturt, impressed observers during pre-season, offering teasers of the skill and courage that prompted the Power to select him as soon as they could.

Link

Wingard will debut in Round 1! We all knew it anyway as he was named in the starting 18...

Link

Wingard a confirmed starter

wingard2.jpg

PORT Adelaide is set to blood four players against St Kilda on Sunday, including prized draft pick Chad Wingard.

Jarrad Redden, John McCarthy and Brad Ebert will also make their Power debuts.

Despite weighing just 77 kg, coach Matthew Primus says Wingard has earned his spot.

"There's not much of him, but he's a real competitive kid, puts his head over the ball and he's been really good in some of the real tough games we've played in the NAB Cup," Primus said.

"The heat's in the kitchen, it certainly will be on Sunday and we're confident he'll be able to stand up under that."

Link

Chad's interview after his debut match:

Link

Port's Kiwi Pain Pays Off

Achadd246b.jpg

PORT Adelaide debutant Chad Wingard says the Power drew on their grueling pre-season camp in New Zealand to get them over the line against St Kilda at AAMI Stadium on Sunday night.

The Power scored a thrilling four-point win against the Saints and Wingard said the punishing trip to New Zealand helped unite the group.

Link

noticed the afl site had chad's injury as concussion, this was my biggest concern pre draft, would like to look at the footage againa s there didn't seem to be a big knock at all which is even more worrying if he has concussion. hope he listens to his mates up at murray bridge and starts wearing a head guard.

noticed the afl site had chad's injury as concussion, this was my biggest concern pre draft, would like to look at the footage againa s there didn't seem to be a big knock at all which is even more worrying if he has concussion. hope he listens to his mates up at murray bridge and starts wearing a head guard.

In the write up of the Primus press conference it was reported he had blurred vision from a poke in the eye and would play next week.

link

I don't think we're stretching Wingard enough at the moment to get the most out of his potential. The class and toughness this kid has is almost in the top few at our club, already. I'm not sure we should be wasting him in a forward pocket graveyard all season. Give him the responsibility of trying to win us games through periods on-ball. I honestly think that we'll be surprised at how successful he can be in his first year, if thrown into the midfield mix.

One of Wingard's heros is Daniel Wells and Chad hope's to line up against this hero on the weekend:

Link

Wingard Ready For 'Inspiration'

Achadd246b.jpg

YOUNG Port Adelaide player Chad Wingard doesn't think North Melbourne's Daniel Wells will remember him if he lines up on the Kangaroos star on Saturday, but Wells certainly left an impression on the future gun years ago at AAMI Stadium.

Link

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the 'blank videos' was a curse from the crossover, but you can update the OP with it's original videos (the highlight reels) but just by editing it then copying and pasting the following.
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gec6l01S_8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9kIzMh4-Ig
And after watching these videos, you can see he's bulked up quite a bit since. Not a lot, but it's notably larger.

I don't think we're stretching Wingard enough at the moment to get the most out of his potential. The class and toughness this kid has is almost in the top few at our club, already. I'm not sure we should be wasting him in a forward pocket graveyard all season. Give him the responsibility of trying to win us games through periods on-ball. I honestly think that we'll be surprised at how successful he can be in his first year, if thrown into the midfield mix.

What an amazing call

What an amazing call

I also posted several weeks ago that I didn't think he was having the calibre of season I had expected up until that point. It might have been premature and was met with a fair bit of derision from some quarters. My problem with the way Wingard was tracking up until that time was that he was not working hard enough to be conspicuous out on the field. He seemed to be easing himself into AFL and was unable to find the space required to be a threat in the forward line. This was compounded by the fact that when he had chances to convert at goal, he was generally spraying them.

To me, this kid needs to be pushed hard to extract the most out of him. There is clearly a balance between too much responsibility burning him out/injuring him, but I want to see our best young players extended to accelerate their development.

Wingard has mentioned in interviews this week that he needs to work on his spread from stoppages and it's good to hear that this is already identified as important to his game. With his class, we need to have him getting 25+ disposals per match. We know the competitive and defensive sides to his game are already quite solid for such a young kid.

Chad has taken out the Wangeneen medal. He played the most games out of any of the top 10 draftees of 2011 and rightly was our best player under 21. Well done Chad!

Link

Wingard wins Wanganeen Medal

Chad Wingard has been awarded the Gavin Wanganeen Medal for the best player under the age of 21 in the Port Adelaide squad this year.

wingardr1-cycler.jpg

Wingard, 19-years-old, was drafted to the Power with pick 6 in last year's national draft.

Hailing from Murray Bridge, Wingard played nineteen games for the Power on debut, including his head-turning 27-disposal performance against the Brisbane Lions in Round 22 which drew a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination.

Link

According to that article, he's 19. He's still 18, at least until grand final day (29th).

Funny, if we win a premiership while he's playing with us, there is a very real chance he could win it on his birthday.

Originally posted by Macca19

18th #20 CHAD WINGARD

40 Votes

264619.jpg

VOTES:
BigFooty: 40 (18th)
Port: 9 (12th)
Toots: 37 (10th)
Rookie: 178 (2nd)

AFL Stats:
Games: 19
Disposals: 237
Marks: 36
Contested Marks: 5
Clearances: 28
Tackles: 46
Inside50: 38
Rebound50: 15
Contested Possession: 104
Goals: 9
Goal Assists: 6
Best Players: 6

Notes:
Chad came to the club in 2012 as its prized 1st round draft pick. His season was one of steady development, playing 19 games for the year and improving his output as the year wore on. Showing great poise and skill for a first year player, Chad ended the season on fire when freed up to play more of a midfield role. His 27 disposal match in Round 22 against the Lions saw him win a Rising Star nomination. Now that Chad knows what it takes to play at AFL level, his future is all up to him. He has the ability to become a real elite player of the PAFC.

* 2012 Runner up Young Gun of the Year

10z2w5t.jpg

Chad Wingard features in AFL.com's "On the Rise" series:

Link

On the rise: Chad Wingard

264619-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

At a glance: Wingard capped an impressive debut season by taking out Port Adelaide's prestigious Gavin Wanganeen Medal as the best under-21 player at the club. Drafted at pick No. 6 at the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, Wingard played more footy than any other top-10 pick from that draft in 2012, managing 19 games.

Link