Australian music

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is a topic I'm kind of intrigued by. This is a topic that I probably wanked on about too much on the JJJ thread.

Thirty-odd years ago, Australia's music scene was a lot more cohesive, I think. In the 1980s, we had The Church, The Triffids, and The Go-Betweens. They utilised the popular alternative sounds of the time. The jangly indie pop and post-punk of England was pretty popular, but these bands had an undeniable Australianism to them. The Triffids had a real love affair for the WA Coast (pride!) and the Go-Betweens most famous song was, basically, about the Brisbane council.

Then we had some pop songs.

In 2000, the Strokes were huge. I wasn't actually a part of it (I was a young kid), but I think their effect is still pretty obvious. That simplicity and straight forward accessibility kind of resonated with plenty of people.

This music bookmark is also a milestone, I think, for a change in Australian music culture.

The Vines came in. They utilised the Strokes sound. Australian people began to download songs through the advent of the internet.

Now, there's an originality and freshness in Tame Impala. Their music is a pastiche and their psychedelic influences are tangible. Kevin Parker is a very, very good songwriter, and uses his obvious influences to create something relatively... new. The songs stand up for themselves and the international attention is more than impressive. Tame Impala are definitely one of the 'it' bands, but they seem to have some artistic merit that means they won't be a forgotten trend.

My main gripe is that Australian music and youth culture is very ignorant. We have the internet, and the internet enables people from geographically separated areas to engage. Movements are no longer dictated and bound by geography. A scene can transcend the physical state, and it definitely does. In Europe and America, this is pretty well used. But I think the "mainstream alternative" group in this country is reliant on being force fed music. A song has to be on Triple J for the artist to become cool and popular for Antipodes. Self-discovery just doesn't really exist as much as it could, and should, do. I attribute this to the general laziness of Australian culture and, as my old man would say, the stamp of "Generation Me" and "Everything for Nothing Generation."

So frauds like Flume hit the charts. This bogan (Harley m8 sik name!) has capitalised on something. I guess you can call it chillwave. This whole fad has moved on, with acts like Teen Daze being forgotten, and acts like Toro y Moi and Washed Out progressing and evolving. Yet Flume has seen how popular the genre is... but it's never really been 'big' in Australia, or in the Triple J crowd.

Flume is soulless. His songs are thin and weak. He isn't a natural songwriter. I can see what he's trying to do, but it's just really poorly executed. He can barely sample and he has a complete inability to carve an interesting an atmosphere (something tantamount, perhaps the pre-requisite, to chillwave).

This isn't a "omg look I was into chillwave before you pretenders" spiel. This is just pointing out some disappointing areas of the music scene in Australia. Listen to Toro y Moi. Chaz has a real ability to sample... he uses it to his advantage, and it isn't the centrepiece to the actual song. His melodies are more memorable, and the song structures way more interesting. (Yes, I've only used songs from his first album, and that's because he's progressed since then... which probably reinforces my argument: Streten u r behind the curve.)

Then there's those annoying pricks from Bleeding Knees Club. Your name is lame, your artwork exhausted, your song writing absolutely immature, and your aesthetic is seriously outdated. This whole lo-fi thing has gone. Singing about weed and sweet nothings has lost its charm and appeal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZCcd6c8TJw

As opposed to...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF9Tu35-pBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeHPwdQ-rXw

I just think Australian bands are jumping on bandwagons that have proven success, but not so much attention in their country of origin.

So, what's your opinion on the state of music here? Do you remember it better? Is this a good or bad time to be an Aussie music fan?

Things always look better in hindsight. That being said the 70s through to the 90s was brilliant for Australian high energy based guitar rock. The Saints, Radio Birdman, Died Pretty, the Celibate Rifles, the Eastern Dark, the New Christs, Bored!, the Powder Monkeys, the Seminal Rats - I could go on and on and on. These bands did not sound like bands from overseas. They had a unique sound that might taken influence from everything from New York punk to Detroit rock to US proto-metal to Midwest 60s garage but came out with something uniquely Australian. The scene was also underpinned by a number of genuinely independent record labels - Citadel, Phantom, Waterfront, Greasy Pop, Dogmeat. There were also far more and bigger venues in Melbourne and Sydney. So yeah, I reckon the scene was better. There are still some great bands that I'm into - I saw the Cosmic Psychos the other night who were great and there are some super doom/stoner bands (Clagg come to mind) who are totally underground but a lot of really good bands do it really tough these days. Far fewer venues and far fewer truly independent labels.

your rant missed the brilliance of Australian music in the 90's!
oh well..

and yeah that flume guy sucks (first time i have heard it) sounds like gnarls barkley without the hooks or dangermouse:thumbsdown: I don't like any of that chillwave stuff though so.. yeah!

yeah i don't really get into new Australian sounds..alot of it just washes over me.
Been to busy on the older stuff

The 80s and 90s were definitely much stronger for Australian music, heaps of great bands around then. The Church are my favourite Australian band but they aren't what I would call a typical Australian sounding band which is probably why their music has been more successful overseas.

I can't think of many modern day Aussie bands I really rate apart from The Panics, although I don't listen to Triple J much anymore or keep up with the local music scene so there might be some great bands out there I'm not aware of but a lot of the modern day stuff I hear doesn't really excite me.

The Australian music scene has been on life support since the mid nineties, there have been the occassional flicker of life since, but nothing that has got me excited.

Also thinking how great the early to mid 70s was (AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, Coloured Balls, Master's Apprentices, Buffalo) and thinking that the 60s output Australia produced was as good as anywhere in the world (again the Master's, Easybeats, the Loved Ones). Hard to think of anyone around at the moment that will have that kind of long-lasting impact.

Not gonna get another Australian Crawl, John Farnham, Crowded House (if we can claim them), Bee Gees or anything, that's for sure.

Of course. Original lineup: 2/3 Aus, 1/3 NZ. :thumbsu:
Current lineup: 1/4 Aus, 1/4 NZ, 2/4 US :(

Big fan. Temple of Low Men, Woodface, Intriguer, all great albums.

What was it about the 70s and 80s, then?
Aside from the 'classic' Australian rock bands (guys like AC/DC, Chisel, the Oils, Choirboys, Angels etc), Australia had one of the most vibrant punk scenes anywhere on earth. Bands like The Boys Next Door/Birthday Party, The Saints and Radio Birdman led into the influence that you see come out in slightly later bands like The Church (and even INXS to an extent), but for some reason it's heavily underrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oooh, how could I forget Nick Cave.

Sleepy Jackson had a pretty interesting sound. I always liked their debut, and it has a touch of personal nostalgia for me – my dad would play that, and Bjork's Vespertine, a fair bit.

Does anyone get into the Melbourne scene? By that, I mean the sound that's been spearheaded by Twerps. Stuff like Boomgates, Cat Cat, Pop Singles, and my favourite of the bunch: The Ocean Party. I'm kind of looking forward to just being able to see those bands on a casual basis in Melbs.

Oh, and Tomaki Jets. No longer with us, and never in anyone's direct attention. They were played on Triple J at about 3am a few times... I love their sound, and they seriously should have been big (doesn't everyone say that?). I guess it's a mix of psychedelic and shoegaze guitar, furious drumming, melody, and audible Australian, emotive, distressed vocals.

Fans of Foals, Tame Impala, and POND will dig.

Also thinking how great the early to mid 70s was (AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, Coloured Balls, Master's Apprentices, Buffalo) and thinking that the 60s output Australia produced was as good as anywhere in the world (again the Master's, Easybeats, the Loved Ones). Hard to think of anyone around at the moment that will have that kind of long-lasting impact.

Good call RB, and I agree that the Oz output was as good, if not better, than that produced O/S

Remove this Banner Ad

Back