Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
THE NRL draw was supposed to be released to the clubs, their fans and the media at a big press conference on Friday. The plan fell through when Channel Nine rejected the draw. They had only been given 11 of their 20 choices for Sunday afternoon games. Officials are working over the weekend to come up with something more suitable to the broadcasters. Fans are up in arms about the delay.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/buzz-no-tee-party-for-anasta/story-fndujljl-1226518795877

Thankfully the AFL don't give the TV networks as much power as the NRL do, with Channel 9 now running the circus.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/buzz-no-tee-party-for-anasta/story-fndujljl-1226518795877

Thankfully the AFL don't give the TV networks as much power as the NRL do, with Channel 9 now running the circus.
And if you don't think that Channel 7 has input into the AFL you are delusional, they have just as much input as 9 does on the NRL, only the AFL can control its leaks better. Just ask yourself why we have all the big, highly supported clubs always playing on Friday & Saturday nights?

And if you don't think that Channel 7 has input into the AFL you are delusional, they have just as much input as 9 does on the NRL, only the AFL can control its leaks better. Just ask yourself why we have all the big, highly supported clubs always playing on Friday & Saturday nights?

I agree that TV has had an ever increasing influence on the AFL draw, that goes without saying.

But you only have to look at the detail of the respective TV deals to know which broadcaster as the greater sway over which sport.

I agree that TV has had an ever increasing influence on the AFL draw, that goes without saying.

But you only have to look at the detail of the respective TV deals to know which broadcaster as the greater sway over which sport.
Pretty equal from where I sit, just the NRL doesn't try and hide it the way the AFL do.

Pretty equal from where I sit, just the NRL doesn't try and hide it the way the AFL do.

Do you seriously believe it's equal?

Have you unpicked what the NRL fan gets out of their brand new deal (apart from the extra cash)?

You can't compare it with the AFL deal (from a fan's perspective).

Do you seriously believe it's equal?

Have you unpicked what the NRL fan gets out of their brand new deal (apart from the extra cash)?

You can't compare it with the AFL deal (from a fan's perspective).
NRL fans haven't been treated as well as AFL fans for decades, but what they do get out of the tv deal is something that they all desperately want, security in knowing that their team will have more financial support behind them and won't go broke. Most fans will be willing to accept that trade off as half the competition is effective broke and questions over whether Gold Coast & Cronulla were trading whilst insolvent.

na 9 def hes more input then 7 Rothfield saying the draw and CEO both announced tomorrow but don't know whether to believe him

All sport sells it's soul to the devil the moment it puts pen to paper. NRL and AFL are no different.

Some of us are arguing that in terms of degree, there is a difference, and that is no better illustrated than comparing the respective TV deals of the NRL and the AFL from the point of view of the fan.

Slax is right on the money in this thread. Also, I have it on good authority that this article written by Phil Rothfield is inaccurate. Not that I am denying CH 9 had a influence on the NRL draw, as stated above, ch & have influence over the AFL draw as well as Fox Sports and the A-League.

Barkly St End and co raise fair points.

Of course Seven play a heavy role in AFL fixturing but there's no way the AFL would set a date to release the fixtures and then find itself having to push the date back to make a heap of further changes for Seven.

Given how much the NRL was spruiking "We get to schedule the matches" when the latest rights contracts were announced this is embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would fans be in an up in arms? Does the season kick off this weekend or something?

Must have been a slow news day.

The NRL and AFL seasons finished 1 day apart but the AFL had its draw out 3 weeks ago. People want to plan interstate trips and book them well in advance to keep rpices down. You gotta admit its a bit of a ballz up to say the draw will be released on Thursday the 15th or Friday the 16th and then delay it

Given how much the NRL was spruiking "We get to schedule the matches" when the latest rights contracts were announced this is embarrassing.
exactly. they've gone from Broncos playing almost every friday night for the sole purpose of TV ratings, to then change to this new system where despite what they try to spin, channel 9 have just as much say. it just looks worse because its come out that they rejected it, when ch 7 would have asked for changes privately...

The NRL and AFL seasons finished 1 day apart but the AFL had its draw out 3 weeks ago. People want to plan interstate trips and book them well in advance to keep rpices down. You gotta admit its a bit of a ballz up to say the draw will be released on Thursday the 15th or Friday the 16th and then delay it

The NRL are doing their draw like they've never done before so it's to be expected that it might take longer and that there might have been some tweeking which needed to be done. Getting it right with the host broadcaster who've put in a lot of money makes complete sense. I'm sure that was a factor in Collingwood's 7 friday night games in 2013.

I can't see how another week or 2 will make booking trips any harder either.

The NRL are doing their draw like they've never done before so it's to be expected that it might take longer and that there might have been some tweeking which needed to be done. Getting it right with the host broadcaster who've put in a lot of money makes complete sense. I'm sure that was a factor in Collingwood's 7 friday night games in 2013.

Exactly right. I wouldn't make the mistake of trusting Phil Rothfield's articles though. No more to add.

Cause the longer u wait the more expensive flights get.

I take your point about getting it right but don't you agree the NRL shouldn't say "it will be released Thursday or Friday" and then delay it. FInalize the draw and announce the release date and even let a couple of leaks out prior to that to keep the game in the news. Thats what the AFL does so well

Agreed. Would rather read Roy Masters. He wrote a good article today about Victoria being the big loser out of origin

Now that's what I call embarrassing. The NRL is light years behind the AFL in promoting the game both here and overseas.

Whether the fraw is important to you or not a professional organisation should not come out pubicily on their website and say "the draw will be released on this date" and then not meet that deadline. Even if its there first time doing this format don't come out and set a deadline you can't meet

Can't access Twitter here at work but apparently the roosters have tweeted that their may be news about the draw this afternoon

Whether the fraw is important to you or not a professional organisation should not come out pubicily on their website and say "the draw will be released on this date" and then not meet that deadline. Even if its there first time doing this format don't come out and set a deadline you can't meet

Yes, they probably could of done without that. Although only on this website have I seen it be called "embarrassing", most people actually understand the situation and ain't that bothered by it. With the exception of some sport journo's that want to be given something RL-related to write about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back