Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Nathan Hrovat just tweeted he had an exhaustive training session with Brent Harvey. Is that a sign that North will take him?

I wouldn't think so. Hrovat's been training with Boomer for nearly 12 months. He does plenty of development work with younger players. He trained Toy as well, IIRC. A few years ago now.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Zero chance of WB going for Grundy? Minson isnt young and Cordy could still be just that forward type relief ruck? or is he destined to be the Dogs next 5-8 year ruckman?

Zero chance of WB going for Grundy? Minson isnt young and Cordy could still be just that forward type relief ruck? or is he destined to be the Dogs next 5-8 year ruckman?
We've got Minson, Cordy, Roughead and upgrading Campbell from the rookie list, and he's very promising. If we took Grundy, it's pretty much just closing the door on Campbell straight away.
I don't expect we'll go for Grundy.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Nathan Hrovat just tweeted he had an exhaustive training session with Brent Harvey. Is that a sign that North will take him?

Like others said, probably not much to read into. But I do think North will be looking at either Hrovat or Kennedy tomorrow night. They've drafted a few taller midfielders recently, I reckon they'll go for the Harvey replacement this time around.

Hi Chris, Tim O'Brien is being touted as a possible pick for us tomorrow, can you please give me a run down on him?
Thanks

I'd love us to draft O'Brien, always nice when one of my guys comes to the Dockers (and I need a new one now that Roberts is gone). My write up for him is there at #20 in the opening post, so all my general thoughts are there. In terms of Fremantle, I think he'd be a good fit. I see him playing as more of a Waite/Riewoldt type CHF as opposed to a stay at home full forward, so even if we drafted him we could still easily get Shaw in the second round (if we were so lucky) and play them both together.

He is a very raw prospect though, and has lots to learn about being a key forward. So he might not be an immediate option next year, but he wouldn't get a better education anywhere in the AFL as he would under Pavlich's wing.

I wouldn't personally. Think the Bulldogs have invested too much into their other talls, to now go and draft another one in the top 6. They'll likely stick to midfielders - two of Mayes, Stringer and Menzel would be my picks. They need some class and raw talent, they already have the work horses.

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
where did you read this seems strange for Brisbane to pass on Wines if avilable

It was in the HUN this morning I think, they said Brisbane are tossing up between Jaksch and Mayes and that Wines could realistically fall to Richmond. No idea how reliable the source is. Interesting to speculate given Wines is one of the lesser discussed prospects because people have assumed for a while he was Melbourne bound. I feel his true draft position is somewhere closer to 9 than 4.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
My final prediction for tonight is looking like this...

1. Greater Western Sydney - Lachie Whitfield
2. Greater Western Sydney - Jonathan O'Rourke
3. Greater Western Sydney - Lachie Plowman
4. Melbourne - Jimmy Toumpas
5. Western Bulldogs - Jackson Macrae
6. Western Bulldogs - Jake Stringer
7. Port Adelaide - Sam Mayes
8. Brisbane Lions - Oliver Wines
9. Richmond - Kristian Jaksch
10. Essendon - Joe Daniher
11. Carlton - Troy Menzel
12. Greater Western Sydney - Aidan Corr
13. Gold Coast - Josh Simpson
14. Greater Western Sydney - Brodie Grundy
15. North Melbourne - Nathan Hrovat
16. Geelong - Taylor Garner
17. Fremantle - Tim O'Brien
18. Collingwood - Nick Vlastuin
19. Collingwood - Tom Clurey
20. Collingwood - Nathan Wright
21. Western Bulldogs - Tim Membrey
22. Sydney Swans - Mason Wood
23. Brisbane - Tanner Smith
24. St Kilda - Nick Graham
25. St Kilda - Spencer White
26. Melbourne - Jack Viney
27. GWS - Jesse Lonergan
28. Hawthorn - Dayle Garlett
29. Port Adelaide - Ben Kennedy
30. Port Adelaide - Sam Colquhoun

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Having kept up with the Suns info, at this stage I would be a bit surprised if we picked up Simpson.

He's still in calculations, but if Corr is gone, it's between Lonergan, Garner & Simpson. Garner appears to be the tip, with the Suns having showed heavy interest in him yesterday. Am personally hoping for Lonergan. :D

When all this is over, you better start working on next years mock, huh? ;)

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Having kept up with the Suns info, at this stage I would be a bit surprised if we picked up Simpson.

He's still in calculations, but if Corr is gone, it's between Lonergan, Garner & Simpson. Garner appears to be the tip, with the Suns having showed heavy interest in him yesterday. Am personally hoping for Lonergan. :D

When all this is over, you better start working on next years mock, huh? ;)

Yeah, there seems to be a new rumour every day for some of these teams - especially the Suns. The media seems to have gone off of Simpson what with this whole baby story (I didn't realise the fact that he had a baby was such a secret?) but I just have this sneaking suspicion that they'll take him. Would certainly make me more comfortable when it comes to Fremantle's pick, choosing between him and O'Brien wouldn't be easy.

This time tomorrow, some people will have PSD and Rookie Drafts up. So we still have that to go before next years is posted. But I may do an early one, with lots of South Australians of course. :p

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Colquhorn - what the ... Port missed out by only having three picks - they will regret not delisting Salter and the little guy from Glenelg

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have a distant knowledge of the lad - no behaviour problems - happy kid (not tonight though) One of the great surprises in recent draft history - the kid can play

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have a distant knowledge of the lad - no behaviour problems - happy kid (not tonight though) One of the great surprises in recent draft history - the kid can play
Very strange then, was pretty pissed when we passed at 85 when we could have taken him. Surely he is better than Prismal who we might get in the PSD :mad:

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was hoping the bullies would pick him - someone will get a bargain when he gets rookied.
The only reason I can think of is that recruiters arent picking small backs -

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sam Colquhoun was the only player I was surprised and disappointed about. I can understand why Garlett, Haynes and Pongracic all missed out. But I've watched a lot of Sam this year, and strongly feel that he should have gone. He might only be small, but he doesn't even turn 18 for another month. I think someone will get a real player in the rookie draft.

I might look to review some of the teams tomorrow, but my favourite draft has to by Sydney. All four players could have an immediate impact next year. Towers will take some pressure off Jetta, Marsh and Dick are the perfect replacements for their ageing rebounding defenders and Membrey will slot straight into that forward line. Add Tippett in the PSD, and what else could they ask for? Great drafting.

Danair

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Sam Colquhoun was the only player I was surprised and disappointed about. I can understand why Garlett, Haynes and Pongracic all missed out. But I've watched a lot of Sam this year, and strongly feel that he should have gone. He might only be small, but he doesn't even turn 18 for another month. I think someone will get a real player in the rookie draft.

I might look to review some of the teams tomorrow, but my favourite draft has to by Sydney. All four players could have an immediate impact next year. Towers will take some pressure off Jetta, Marsh and Dick are the perfect replacements for their ageing rebounding defenders and Membrey will slot straight into that forward line. Add Tippett in the PSD, and what else could they ask for? Great drafting.

Wow! I thought it was a kinda meh night (really wanted Siggins and we thought we had him at 62) but you and KM know more than anyone so woot woot!

I really hope we passed on O'Brien, Shaw and White because we're confident we'll get Tippett.

Azzleberry

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Watched Prudden in the GV Final when he was playing for Seymour.. Can play for sure and is a ripper kid with the right mentality... Very tricky, can snag a goal but is light on for size.. Will take a few years development in the VFL but you expect that with picks >40

Tazwegian

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tasmanians in the AFL
65. GWS - Jackson Thurlow (189cm defender - Launceston)

...So two separate analyses have now turned up Thurlow as arguably the most underrated player in the phantom drafts.

...all aboard the Thurlow bandwagon!!

Nek Minnit

thurlow-jackson-2012.jpg

PICK 16 ~ JACKSON THURLOW
Geelong Cats

I tried, Chris. I tried :p

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
And I stand by my rating of Thurlow. :)

All I wanted to see from the Tasmanian side this year was Thurlow in the midfield, and they didn't give it to me. All I got was him playing as a loose man. So I took out my frustration with the coaches on Thurlow himself.

As a side note, I was sitting with the Tasmanian team just prior to their demolition by Vic Metro in Round 2 of the U18 Championships. I knew I should have offered them advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back