Secondary ATAR results

beardymac

Senior List
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Leafs, Ravens, Swansea, Cavs
Taking Apps right now as an accelerator (taking Software Development next year) and let me tell you Apps has some of the most ridiculous theory I've ever seen, half of it isn't about computers.

MushroomRocket

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
LOL at this thread my phd colleague in Chemistry got 53 (Did STAT to get into the course) in 2003 :rolleyes: and is arguably the smartest of our entire research crew. Uni really does sort out the dumb from smart because the work is 10x harder especially in technically heavy subjects.

And for the ones that didn't get in the favored course (except medicine/legal) just do really well in the first semester (HD/D) and party after you get you foot in like me :D

MushroomRocket

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Current year 12s: Don't stress brah. My 71 had made me a pretty happy person, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm transferring next year and my uni results (which have been really good, all distinctions, one HD) are all that matter these days. Don't listen to the hyperbole or threats of teachers. I personally found it hard to draw inspiration from their Churchillian speeches... how can someone who scored an equivalent of 50-65 be doling out advice? Mlegh.

Enjoy yourselves, go out every so often, and don't stress yourself out or feel sick. It's easy to get caught up in the hype of it all, but don't worry. Give it what you've got, but only go as far as you feel comfortable. School is not worth the hassle.

This x 10000

cmspencer

Debutant
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
About to start my WACE exams next week, and I'm aiming for 95+, so we'll see how that goes. I need 98 to get assured entry into Law at UWA, but there are other ways I can get there (i.e. doing well in the undergrad course and gaining entry that way). Good luck to everyone!

Not to fussed about my ATAR to be honest. I've already applied to go into paralegal at the local university via Early entry scheme though it would be nice to get a decent atar. Hoping for something along the lines of 60-70. I'm not overly worried about these exams because I will most likely get accepted via early entry, in the unlikely chance im not accepted, i've already chosen to get a job for a year and then apply for mature age next year.

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Don't stress about your year 12 English exam kids, I have to do a 3 hour accounting exam for uni at the same time!

But seriously, don't worry too much. I got stressed way too much and it probably had an impact. Plenty of other paths to get into the career or course you want. Half my course got below the required ATAR and still got in (Req was 80.5, and had people with 75 and 76s getting in). Once you get in then you decide your own path.

cmspencer

Debutant
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
For other states, when do you get your ATAR results? I'm from WA, and we get ours around New Years.

beardymac

Senior List
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victoria's is December 17th (online) / 18th (in the mail) this year, I'm pretty sure.

policegetthatman

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 1, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
oh lawd. Already a fair load of regret.

Did anyone else go through their year 11 and 12 with hardly any study? I studied the night before for most of my final exams and even woke up 4am exam day to study for geography. I did physics, chem, maths 3cd etc but barely passed them. I actually failed maths 3cd but it wont count towards my ATAR. What would an average of 50ish get me, taking into account the scaling?

How do you guys cope in uni with extreme procrastination?

policegetthatman

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 1, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But seriously, don't worry too much. I got stressed way too much and it probably had an impact. Plenty of other paths to get into the career or course you want. Half my course got below the required ATAR and still got in (Req was 80.5, and had people with 75 and 76s getting in). Once you get in then you decide your own path.
So in a course which requires 70 would 60 cut it? I think stressing shows you care and I wish I stressed more..

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
So in a course which requires 70 would 60 cut it? I think stressing shows you care and I wish I stressed more..
Probably not, but plenty got into my course through DOTS (diploma of tertiary studies). Not sure if they have it in WA but it just offers a different avenue into the course you may want.

It may show that you care, but it can be a detriment to your results. If you're stressing so much it can affect your health by getting less sleep, eating differently which in turn affects your study and how you go in exams.

In uni I've barely done much homework at all compared to VCE and I still got Ds and Cs in semester one (distinctions and credits). Probably should've done a bit more study and homework, but it's pretty easy to coast at uni.

beardymac

Senior List
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Gotta ask RE: IT Software Development - I have a VDCE (distance ed) form all filled out and ready for submission to take it (my school doesn't teach SD) but I was wondering, given that most university software development courses require Maths Methods, would you say knowledge from Methods is necessary? I took Methods Unit 1 but struggled and I'm now taking Further (after doing General Unit 2 and getting A+'s in it).

I've completed IT Apps with ease this year (acceleration and my average SAC scores were 92% for Unit 3 and 90.5% for Unit 4) if that is any indication of what I'm like with computers.

Speck

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gotta ask RE: IT Software Development - I have a VDCE (distance ed) form all filled out and ready for submission to take it (my school doesn't teach SD) but I was wondering, given that most university software development courses require Maths Methods, would you say knowledge from Methods is necessary? I took Methods Unit 1 but struggled and I'm now taking Further (after doing General Unit 2 and getting A+'s in it).

I've completed IT Apps with ease this year (acceleration and my average SAC scores were 92% for Unit 3 and 90.5% for Unit 4) if that is any indication of what I'm like with computers.
No. SD has nothing to do with maths, apart from some very basic programming. I did it myself a few years back.

cmspencer

Debutant
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
oh lawd. Already a fair load of regret.

Did anyone else go through their year 11 and 12 with hardly any study? I studied the night before for most of my final exams and even woke up 4am exam day to study for geography. I did physics, chem, maths 3cd etc but barely passed them. I actually failed maths 3cd but it wont count towards my ATAR. What would an average of 50ish get me, taking into account the scaling?

How do you guys cope in uni with extreme procrastination?

I studied, and quite hard throughout year 11 and 12, but occasionally I'd just not do anything. I did history, chem, english lit, english, economics and maths 3cd, but I got 49 in that (maths was not my strong point this year, even though I got 80 in 3ab last year). I averaged around 70 for the rest of them though.

To answer your first question, though, an average of 50 should get you an ATAR around 60, I think, but don't quote me on that. As for the second question, I'm not in uni, so can't help there.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone thinking about it? Tomorrow is the day. Although it doesn't really mean a lot as I'm very confident I'll get the 56 needed to get into my course... I'm still slightly eager to know. Won't stop me from sleeping in till 11am though.

proka123

All Australian
Apr 6, 2009
Moe
AFL Club
Melbourne
I only really need a 50-70 to get into what i really want, so im not absolutely stressed. It'd be good though if it was more towards 70 than 50 though obviously, as long as i don't get a horribly low score i'll be reasonably happy. I was a bit of a procrastinator during year 12, but i didn't really see the point of studying harder than i really needed to. That way, you get more enjoyment out of the simple pleasures in life instead of being constantly bombarded with study towards the point of depression. Don't get me wrong, i still tried my very best with the work that was put in front of me, by my application towards it was not entirely 100% eg. reading up on extra notes, doing extra work, double checking etc.

Speck

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good luck to you all.

This night last year wasn't exactly my definition of fun, all worked out perfectly though getting a few points above what my course needed.

beardymac

Senior List
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I'm only slightly crapping myself because it's one subject (acceleration) and I still have a year to turn it around, but I'm treating this as an indicator for how I might go next year.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
juvies be stressin'.......... chill out, it's really not a big deal. even if you dont get into your course, you can always transfer into it, theres always a way.

god i do not miss school.

Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
Hopefully everyone got the ATAR they wanted if not then its not the end of the world and there are many pathways to get to what you want. I did VCE in 2007 and the night before is very nervous indeed.

Back