Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

For a big guy he can really hit the ground very quick.

Hopefully what the club would do is to start developing him as a forward/ruck where he'll spend approx 75% of the time as a forward and 25% as a Ruck and gradually make it so he'll be a ruck/forward where he'll spend time as 75% Ruck and 25% forward as he puts on muscle.
With Vickery up forward it might be handy to keep him as a backman for the ruck that rest forward. Especially with Maric playing for at least another 5 years or so, also take some of the ruck load in a couple of years when he has further developed.

Some people saying he's soft, let's hope he can develop some mongrel under the watchful eye of king mullet.
If anybody can show him how to play with some aggression, big Ivan can.
I suspect the aggression will come as he puts on some more size.

welcome to a boy from my footy club! aberfeldie
So is that Essendon fan I quoted from PRE close to the money with the Daniher comparison? He seemed to be involved with your club in some way.

With Vickery up forward it might be handy to keep him as a backman for the ruck that rest forward. Especially with Maric playing for at least another 5 years or so, also take some of the ruck load in a couple of years when he has further developed.

I somewhat agree, but looking at the highlight reel on the RFC site he appears to have a great goal sense which I think would be wasted if he plays back.

I think the issue also with McBean is that people can ask: why wasn't a midfielder taken? But most of the good midfielders were taken. It'll be interesting to see the comparisons to Membrey and McDonough, bigfooty assumes Richmond made a mistake. I do think that if he can ruck, then yes it's a great pick given Richmond's ruck stocks are very shallow.

I think the issue also with McBean is that people can ask: why wasn't a midfielder taken? But most of the good midfielders were taken. It'll be interesting to see the comparisons to Membrey and McDonough, bigfooty assumes Richmond made a mistake. I do think that if he can ruck, then yes it's a great pick given Richmond's ruck stocks are very shallow.
Membrey is that awkward height that generally fail at AFL level. He's very good and I had him rated very high due to his production. McDonough has midfield ability over him. I reckon it would have been a tough call between the two though presuming we rated Membrey.

Membrey is that awkward height that generally fail at AFL level. He's very good and I had him rated very high due to his production. McDonough has midfield ability over him. I reckon it would have been a tough call between the two though presuming we rated Membrey.
We need to find a spot for elts, membrey would compete for same spot....our underperforming front half cost us a finals spot...mm changes the mix nicely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't know Liam was a Tiger fan until I saw this thread, makes this pick a great pick for sure:thumbsu::D
He is (was) a north supporter.

Played footy with my mates son so has been following him for 8 years now. My mate reckons he is as good as Daniher , just did not get the kudos Daniher did.

I'm excited.

proxy.jpg

Yep. Agile, great hands, good disposal. Should have gone top 20 but clubs are put off at his weight 81kgs.

He could be the first ever 200cms versatile winger.
Dean Putt says Gday! (from the VFL)

IMHO will either be very very good, or nothing at all.

And as a similar type to Vickery, more than anything else. You don't pick a 200cm fwd/ruck to play back.

If the weight he needs slows him down, he'll go from being a quick 200cm who's not a genuine ruck, to a slow 200cm who's not a genuine ruck... and struggle - if he goes fine with the weight, you'll have something.

And as a similar type to Vickery, more than anything else. You don't pick a 200cm fwd/ruck to play back.

If the weight he needs slows him down, he'll go from being a quick 200cm who's not a genuine ruck, to a slow 200cm who's not a genuine ruck... and struggle - if he goes fine with the weight, you'll have something.

i think he is in the wrfl 2013

Let me start off by saying I haven't the first clue when it comes to sports science so let me just throw this out. Considering his agility for such a tall lad, wouldn't it be better to focus on core strength and not so much bulk? Could he still compete if he had amazing core strength but was still on the leaner side? I'm thinking more as a forward than a ruck

Let me start off by saying I haven't the first clue when it comes to sports science so let me just throw this out. Considering his agility for such a tall lad, wouldn't it be better to focus on core strength and not so much bulk? Could he still compete if he had amazing core strength but was still on the leaner side? I'm thinking more as a forward than a ruck
Of course.
But that will still be another 10kg (at least), and probably 2-3 years down the track.

My point was, with the weight he still needs to add, and you add in the rate he's grown/still growing (tipping he will keep going a few years yet), he will be a very different athlete to what he is now. (guess that's similar to most really tall kids)

Back