Politics & Government What changes would you make to your city?

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Exactly as it says on the tin.

I'd basically like to see Perth build a new stadium. World class everything.

You?

Yeah, probably some sort of rapid transit around inner Melbourne (i.e. from the cbd to a few ks into the suburbs), and also connecting the spokes of the sprawling wagon wheel train lines into one. And include a train line to the airport - ridiculous that we don't have one.

Where do I start?

1. Build new airport at Badgeries Creek
2. Demolish old airport

Build an entertainment district about where the current domestic terminal is. A plaza in the middle with 5 streets coming off it. Streets are named Bon, Angus, Malcolm, Phillip, and Cliff.

The sections in between the streets are entirely for restaurants, cafes, and bars. Each of the 5 sections are a chinatown, spanish quarter (even though it's a fifth), little italy, little japan. Lots of lane ways, alleys, staircases, basements etc. There's a tube station right near the plaza.

Surrounding the plaza and the entertainment hub are multilevel car parks intertwined with some apartment blocks and a new 70k footy stadium purposely built for AFL. The car park "ring" is as far as cars, with the exception of deleivery vehicles, can go.

Then the next ring is apartment buildings also sprinkled with discrete multi level car parks and parks.

The current airport road along the canal is moved away from the canal. Along the canal is park land and a warehouse district. The warehouse district is full of newly build "warehouse living". No conversions here, all built to spec. Cafe strip near the canal.

Where the control tower is (just off southern cross drive) there is a westfirld with entries and exits coming off southern cross drive. The run ways that go into Botany bay are fo premium housing, many waterfront. There are 12 streets that go horizontal along the run way, each named after the Test team of the century. Other streets in the area are named after Benaud, Gilchrist, McGrath etc

3. Build a Tube/Underground/Subway

The tube covers the whole Sydney metro area, parts underground, parts above ground. The concept is that each line works like a conveyor belt with a small axle in the city and large axle out in the suburbs.

An example would be a train line that goes from Town Hall, Kingsford, Maroubra, Matraville, La Perouse, Kurnell, Cronulla, Wooloware, Caringbah, Taren Point, Ramsgate, Kogorah, and back to Town Hall on existing line.

Another line would do the same thing, but at Caringbah would go to Miranda, Sutho, Hurstvill, and then join at Kogorah.

Another line would be down to Maroubra, but then back up through Coogee and Bondi.

This would be repeated all over Sydney so you can get anywhere to anywhere without having to go into city and back out.

4. Bulldoze premium land like Long Bay and sell for premium housing.

5. Sell of houso commission in premium locations and buy cheaper housing for welfare further out. But don't put all these idiots in one spot.

• More family attractions and better shopping in central Geelong.
  • Refrain from pissing away so much money on horrid-looking libraries and convention centres (as the state/federal government and council are so hell-bent on doing).
  • Scrap the Armstrong Creek housing development.
  • Bring back Smorgy's, strip clubs, and the dodgems that used to be on the waterfront.
  • Bulldoze Corio and Norlane.

• Refrain from pissing away so much money on horrid-looking libraries and convention centres (as the state/federal government and council are so hell-bent on doing).
  • Bring back Smorgy's, strip clubs, and the dodgems that used to be on the waterfront.

Easier just to move to Melbourne, innit?

Even though it's a somewhat dull and boring place to live in, I'd take Geelong in a heartbeat over the shonky public transport, congested freeways, and 4 million inhabitants of Melbourne.
Hope to move interstate or to another nice country/seaside town (currently live in one where the population multiplies during summer) once I'm at the age where I can easily do so.

Even though it's a somewhat dull and boring place to live in, I'd take Geelong in a heartbeat over the shonky public transport, congested freeways, and 4 million inhabitants of Melbourne.
Hope to move interstate or to another nice country/seaside town (currently live in one where the population multiplies during summer) once I'm at the age where I can easily do so.
Weirdoooooooooooo. Seriously though, I can get people who like the activity and culture of cities. And plenty of people prefer open spaces and calmness, but Geelong seems to fall in between those two – much like Mandurah. Like, I don't get how someone could enjoy that awkward space. Or is a city and town a false dichotomy?

In addition to a new stadium, I really think Perth just needs to modernise. I know that's a pretty elementary thing to say, but it's true. Allow trading whenever. Reinvigorate the city and encourage people to open bars and shops. Get Perth people and give them a reason to grab a meal and a drink and then go do something in the evenings: Subsidise artists and musicians. There's a pretty good scene in Perth at the moment, but by encouraging internationals over, we'd only bolster the local community through increased interest. I also saw a thing on ABC 24, where Adelaide has these food stalls in the city. They don't pay rent (yet), but they make uni students and office workers fill the open spaces of le city, all whilst opening up different cuisine and new palettes.

Freo seems to be in a pretty average state these days, but I wasn't alive for the America's Cup buzz. What was it like then? I mean, of course Freo can't return to that prosperity over night, but how could it be achieved?

As someone who has lived in Melbourne half their life and Geelong the other half, I can safely say that Geelong is a better place to live in. Not quite as good as it once was, but for me it's better than the constant hustle and bustle of city life.

Someone to cut off the top of the BHP Billiton building. It annoys me. Looks like scaffolding.

Seriously though a new stadium with an entertainment precinct. This is finally underway but is something we have needed for a while.
Updated airport with a train line.
I like Freo but it is lacking something these days. Not sure what it is or maybe its just me being used to it.
We need a unique tourist attraction.

Perth:

There's a car park at Peter's Pool on Cottesloe between the beach and CTC. Needs a boardwalk with cafes and restaurants. Two stories of cafes and restaurants, 2 stories of premium apartments above, and then a multi level carpark behind that is screened by trees along Napier St on one side and the Bryant Walk on the other.

Provides:

1. More cafes and restaurants that the beach deserves, but without going tacky live Scarbourough, and without building over 4 stories high

2. Much needed parking that can be hidden away

A Centro style development for Cottesloe too please. From Eric St Bridge to the Police station to be underground.

And wtf is there a rifle range on prime beach front land in Swanbourne? Develop that s**t up please. More Cottesloe than City beach please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weirdoooooooooooo. Seriously though, I can get people who like the activity and culture of cities. And plenty of people prefer open spaces and calmness, but Geelong seems to fall in between those two – much like Mandurah. Like, I don't get how someone could enjoy that awkward space. Or is a city and town a false dichotomy?

Have you ever been to Geelong?

If you're >32, have a family and earn <$100k it's infinitely better to live in Geelong than some crappy outer Melbourne suburb imo.

Most of it's public transport based. Scrap the current bus system and have buses continue through the city area rather than terminate there. Having the buses run along the intended metro routes would be good. More services, you just have to be prepared to change more. Stuff that's all be suggested before, but would never be implemented.

Ideally Parra road would only need to be one private traffic lane, one bus lane and one bike lane, but that'll never happen either, sadly.
3. Build a Tube/Underground/Subway

The tube covers the whole Sydney metro area, parts underground, parts above ground. The concept is that each line works like a conveyor belt with a small axle in the city and large axle out in the suburbs.

An example would be a train line that goes from Town Hall, Kingsford, Maroubra, Matraville, La Perouse, Kurnell, Cronulla, Wooloware, Caringbah, Taren Point, Ramsgate, Kogorah, and back to Town Hall on existing line.

Another line would do the same thing, but at Caringbah would go to Miranda, Sutho, Hurstvill, and then join at Kogorah.

Another line would be down to Maroubra, but then back up through Coogee and Bondi.

This would be repeated all over Sydney so you can get anywhere to anywhere without having to go into city and back out.
Also very good.

Smorgys was rubbish.

Sammy the Seal scared the crap out of every second kid.

(1) Combine the repair of the Bruce Highway with a bypass complete with 3rd bridge over the Fitzroy River and new railway station. Gets the trucks off the streets and removes the rail lines from the city.

(1a) Build rail link between Rockhampton and Capricorn Coast.

(2) Renovate the airport so that the departure/arrival lounge is in one area, and so aero bridges can be installed.

(3) Increase the police presence on Thursday nights from 8-11 PM in particular to reduce the number of P-Plate hoons on the roads.

(4) Build brand new outdoor concert venue on outskirts of town to attract national/international acts and give local talent a place to play. The old venue was too close to residential areas and couldn't be used often.

(5) Scrap the NRL bid, and replace it with an NBL bid complete with new convention centre. Centre also ensures future of beef expo held every 3 years.

(6) Do ANYTHING to make sure governments actually give a stuff about regional areas rather than 50km around the capital for once!

1) Scrap the Armstrong creek housing development

2) Scrap plans to duplicate the Princes Hwy to Colac (waste of money)

3) Raise the speed limit on the Geelong Road (from Lara-Werribee) and the Geelong bypass to 110 km/h

4) International flights at Avalon and a subsequent upgrade of its current facilities

5) Kids rides and family attractions (a rollercoaster included) on the waterfront

6) Ban trucks from the city centre, and better parking in central Geelong

7) Replace Alcoa at Point Henry with an entertainment precinct and Melbourne bound ferry.

8) Build a theme park somewhere (if/when Ford goes then maybe at the site of their current plant?)

Disband the Adelaide City Council

Develop the crappier parts of the parklands particularly the awful bits in the south and west parklands.

Build a permanent grand stand at Victoria Park. Could reinvigorate the horse racing industry in SA and mitigate the 9 month erecting and dismantling that goes on around the Clipsal 500.

Build an east west tram service from Norwood to Airport to Henley. Make the O-Bahn Light Rail.

Fix the Britannia Roundabout with an innovative disign. Who gives a flying * if a few Gum Trees have to go?

Build more high rise on the southern side of North terrace. The contrast between the heritage buildings on the norther side and the high rise on the southern side would look awesome.

Make the North Adelaide Golf Course a single Championship Course.

Disband the Adelaide City Council.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back