Dayle Garlett - Overlooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually the gold coast would be a great judge of him. Does he arrive with a suitcase full of chinos, sunnies and other gear to look like he's just walked off the floor of DJX!! ..... or does he arrive with his game face on, train his guts out and show the respect and gratitude to the club, coaches and players that is required. Then he can have a week in Melbourne showing he can get into the place.

Too much is said about Nat Rat taking care of him. I think it is about time that Leroy steps up and takes a mentor role here. Also Hardingham is from WA and the both of them are doing a trade together so perhaps getting him to do some work on his days off and get started with a trade will see him grow up a lot .... and if it doesn't he'll at least have a start on getting a trade and that combined with being paid for local footy will see him earn enough money to party his arse off ... while living rent free at his parents!!

If we draft this kid i hope we are prepared to put in the hardwork inside and outside of football to help him which im 99% sure we would.
if he bust his ass and shows that he really wants it give him a shot, Put clause's into his contract to let him no that if he faarks up we will continue to help him outside of football but it just wont be as an Essendon footballer.
either way i will trust our staff and back there decision.

To think we could have a pre season of Goddard, Big Joe and Garlett all at the cost of pick 10 is an amazing effort.

I haven't contributed any thoughts to this topic, preferring instead to read what everyone else thinks of the situation, but I think this is a very intelligent and proactive decision by the club to get Garlett down to the Essendon Football Club, monitor his behaviour, test him both mentally and physically, and just to see whether he embraces the playing group, the culture we're gradually attempting to build, and what it is that we're striving to achieve, particularly in the coming years. If we select him, it will all depend on whether Garlett shows that he's intrinsically motivated enough to put an end to any negative lifestyle habits he may have been afforded back home, and he subsequently shows a willingness to become the senior footballer that he's undoubtedly capable of blossoming into.

I'm actually quite excited about what he could produce should he be selected. We're building a quality midfield, but the one asset we're severely lacking in is pace, flair and the ability to break the lines. Garlett has these aforementioned qualities in abundance and I believe this is why the reward could, on this occasion, outweigh the risks involved. I've heard a lot of talk about the bloke potentially being a destabilising influence on the club, but I would back in our veterans, our leaders and our aspiring young leaders to show him the correct way to approach an AFL career - Whether or not it's enough is ultimately up to Garlett.

If we don't select him, I'm more than fine with this scenario also. I have enough faith and confidence in the club and recruiting department to unearth another Hardingham or Hibberd from relative obscurity. It's just not often you get a top fifteen-twenty prospect in terms of natural talent available within the PSD, so you certainly can't blame the club for assessing all its options.

Looking at that video, I think his foot skills aren't penetrating enough to play off a back flank, so it's small forward or bust for him.
How do you come to that conclusion? Because he can only kick it 50 not 60? Good decision making, disposal and his ability to run and carry, would be of value in the HB. Though I think his future, as I'm sure you do, will be as a mid who can rest forward.

Looking at that video, I think his foot skills aren't penetrating enough to play off a back flank, so it's small forward or bust for him.

Yeah Nah, trust me Michael long played on a wing and only needed 15 touches a game to break it open, this kid is the same......Check this footage and try to tell me he cannot play midfield.....

When on the run in a bit of space I thought he was quite penetrating. 3min03 would be a good example. With his run and carry, could easily be a 70-80m player.
But think he has potential to be a pretty handy small forward too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am still shaking my head that all 18 clubs passed on this one.. the world has gone crazy.

I am all for judging the character of the man not just the skill.. but he will make a LOT of recruiters look really silly..

He gets far too much height on his kicks, especially his short kicks. No way known you can have that in the backline. Defenders need a flatter trajectory on their kicks to ensure they don't get intercepted.

longdaveyjetta he could play midfield if he had the tank. Long way from that though.

If we like him and then if we get him onto our list he'll be able to get some games in his first few seasons as a small forward. Apparently did very well for Swan Districts in the seniors there. He will develop into a jet of a midfielder long term though. His footage reminds me a lot of McLeod. He is just what we need for our midfield though, 100% what we need if he can be professional.

In two years time Garlett combining with Zaka and Jetta AND potentially Colyer and Kav gives us massive amount of evasive and line breaking run through the middle. A collection of them will be the icing on the cake that will be the hard work of Watson, Myers, Hocking and Howlett at the stoppage, the class of Heppell and Goddard and the consistent run of Stanton. It makes for a hard working AND potent midfield.

We have plenty of depth in young KPP spots, two top line rucks, plenty of small/medium defenders. Add Garlet to the mix, get some depth in the ruck, and a goal sneak capable of the miraculous, I'm thinking Tipa.., and we have a complete list in my opinion. Of course this is relying on a decent run with injury!!!

He gets far too much height on his kicks, especially his short kicks. No way known you can have that in the backline. Defenders need a flatter trajectory on their kicks to ensure they don't get intercepted.

longdaveyjetta he could play midfield if he had the tank. Long way from that though.

Modern day small forward, until he gets the tank to play midfield. He works up to the back flank and when the ball is released from our backline or won at a stoppage if he can be found in space he can cut the opposition up. I wouldn't play him off the back flank because it would not be using his best assests well nor do we need him back there with Dempsey, Hibberd and Baguely getting selected before anyone else as well as Hardingham playing as a small/medium defender. On top of that we've drafted Ashby and Myers, Heppell and Goddard can go back there in a pinch, though I hope they don't need to and can play midfield every game!!

If we draft this kid i hope we are prepared to put in the hardwork inside and outside of football to help him which im 99% sure we would.
if he bust his arse and shows that he really wants it give him a shot, Put clause's into his contract to let him no that if he faarks up we will continue to help him outside of football but it just wont be as an Essendon footballer.
either way i will trust our staff and back there decision.

To think we could have a pre season of Goddard, Big Joe and Garlett all at the cost of pick 10 is an amazing effort.

If we draft him, I'll personally put my hand up to follow him around (stalk him) and make sure he doesn't get in trouble :)

Don't think he quite has the engine for that somehow.

@longdaveyjetta he could play midfield if he had the tank. Long way from that though.

His kicking was a lot flatter in that second video. Was that the 2011 highlights?

He keep the ball moving at all costs, unlike Heppell who likes to assess his options and take a few seconds, Garlett is already off and not allowed the opposition midfield / Defence get back into position. which means better chance to find players in the clear. He would be a serious weapon. ala Yarran

also kicks better then alot of players we already have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back