Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Riskingheadandshin

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
bulk1.ashx

Of course.
But that will still be another 10kg (at least), and probably 2-3 years down the track.

My point was, with the weight he still needs to add, and you add in the rate he's grown/still growing (tipping he will keep going a few years yet), he will be a very different athlete to what he is now. (guess that's similar to most really tall kids)

Quite right ol chap, quite right
2336458.jpeg

Harmichael

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Whoever's playing Carlton.
Dean Putt says Gday! (from the VFL)

IMHO will either be very very good, or nothing at all.

And as a similar type to Vickery, more than anything else. You don't pick a 200cm fwd/ruck to play back.

If the weight he needs slows him down, he'll go from being a quick 200cm who's not a genuine ruck, to a slow 200cm who's not a genuine ruck... and struggle - if he goes fine with the weight, you'll have something.

I dunno, looks quite a similar build to a bloke that's turned out to be pretty handy for your mob over the last two decades.:rolleyes:

If that is him as a kid then he changed to north as he got older.
Can ya blame him?:oops:

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Dean Putt says Gday! (from the VFL)

IMHO will either be very very good, or nothing at all.

And as a similar type to Vickery, more than anything else. You don't pick a 200cm fwd/ruck to play back.

If the weight he needs slows him down, he'll go from being a quick 200cm who's not a genuine ruck, to a slow 200cm who's not a genuine ruck... and struggle - if he goes fine with the weight, you'll have something.

haha you do really have an opinion on everything dont you mate.

Harmichael

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
That line has been trotted out for about a thousand footballers over the years - there's still only ever been one.
So we're probably overdue for another one then.

haha you do really have an opinion on everything dont you mate.
Typical Bummer fan - they love to talk up their list and run down ours -well everyone's - but mainly ours. Obsessed with us they are - even though we've never had any real rivalry -bar one all-in brawl back in the 70's, when we were good and they were s**t- before Sheedy tried to manufacture one with a stupid gimmick game we're forced to play every year.

Feb 14, 2012
2,631kms North of The G
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
NHL: Canucks

Harmichael

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I hadn't read your post before I added that.

Surprised that link doesn't include the '95 semi.

Scum & Filth are our true rivals - Essendon are a distant third if anything. We've only played them in one Grand Final back in 1943 which we won - unlike the other two, our succesful eras have never really coincided, at least not in living memory. ( '95 & '01 are two seasons seperated by six years, not an era)

Feb 14, 2012
2,631kms North of The G
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
NHL: Canucks

Scum & Filth are our true rivals - Essendon are a distant third if anything. We've only played them in one Grand Final back in 1943 which we won - unlike the other two, our succesful eras have never really coincided, at least not in living memory. ( '95 & '01 are two seasons seperated by six years, not an era)
I remember the 74 one it was huge.

I stand by my comments that the Bummers don't have any true rivals.

Pies one was created in the 90s.
Blues one was nothing before the late 90s.
Tiges one is from the brawl only and now Dreamtime.

Their true rival is probably Hawthorn :oops:

BedrockLP

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees, Jazz, Dolphins
That free kick on the wing in the dying moments of 1995 draw to them that allowed them to kick back in and goal to level, is still in the worst 3 decisions ever made in AFL football.

I am struggling to think of the other 2 but don't want to exagerate :)

BedrockLP

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees, Jazz, Dolphins
Back to topic, really like the early look of McBean. A ruckman with good kicking skills is a great start and worth putting on the list for a few years to see if he develops enough as he puts size on

Back to topic, really like the early look of McBean. A ruckman with good kicking skills is a great start and worth putting on the list for a few years to see if he develops enough as he puts size on
I can understand McBean being listed as a ruck, however, it's his run ,tackling and run on that is the highlight of this guys game. For the first couple of years at Richmond I think if he's good enough we should consider playing this guy as a utility type. Tall winger who goes forward in spells, back occasionally if required. Kid could be a real weapon! Instead of parking him in the reserves to put on weight and developer as a ruck, use him if he is up to it. Ray Hall type but with a lot more potential IMO.

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Take it easy champ, give him a chance.
Sounds like you've written him off already..

I'll give him a chance of course. I like what I've seen of him. He seems like a decent kid and hopefully he turns out to be a gun but I just really question the wisdom of getting a guy like this. For me there were better options available. We saw how easy it was to snag Maric who is a very good ruckman for less than we paid in terms of pick for this guy without even considering time/resources so it just seems strange to me. No club will have more than 2 very good rucks on their list which means guys will always be available in that position. But as I also said, the club seems to know whats going on so hopefully they have made the right decision. PS I hate the feeling that media pressure or pressure from outside has forced us into the decision due to statements such as "Richmond need a young ruckman!" when we seem to be doing pretty well drafted best available and filling need with cheap trades.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'll give him a chance of course. I like what I've seen of him. He seems like a decent kid and hopefully he turns out to be a gun but I just really question the wisdom of getting a guy like this. For me there were better options available. We saw how easy it was to snag Maric who is a very good ruckman for less than we paid in terms of pick for this guy without even considering time/resources so it just seems strange to me. No club will have more than 2 very good rucks on their list which means guys will always be available in that position. But as I also said, the club seems to know whats going on so hopefully they have made the right decision. PS I hate the feeling that media pressure or pressure from outside has forced us into the decision due to statements such as "Richmond need a young ruckman!" when we seem to be doing pretty well drafted best available and filling need with cheap trades.

you may only have 2 ruck ONLY on your list. the game is now about multi position players and this kid is definitley that.

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
you may only have 2 ruck ONLY on your list. the game is now about multi position players and this kid is definitley that.

I'm saying that #2 and #3 ruckman who arent getting a gig at other clubs (not ours), who may be very very good, can potentially be lured with pretty much the same pick without the risk/money/time/effort etc etc. I'm not saying...we already have 2 rucks so no need.

Back