Opinion 2012 draft thread.

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm saying with Rhys, this will be his 5th year. So irrespective of how he terrific he performs at VFL level, if he isn't getting game time at senior level he won't be granted a 6th year. Having 3 players ahead of him just makes it doubly hard.

Yes I would take Collins ahead of Tippett Jr too. If Menzel's knee holds up I suspect they'll favour Troy ahead of Andy, so I just can't see Collins breaking into the 22 more than a handful of games - especially if he's waiting on an LTI and several injuries to onballers to gain selection.

Big Sim

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes I would take Collins ahead of Tippett Jr too. If Menzel's knee holds up I suspect they'll favour Troy ahead of Andy, so I just can't see Collins breaking into the 22 more than a handful of games - especially if he's waiting on an LTI and several injuries to onballers to gain selection.

Depends on how Andy's audition with MM went, which is effectively what Arizona was for AC. I remember David Parkin during the year rating Andy as someone who could play at AFL level and I think most of us agree he is indeed capable of that. It is whether he can do it for all 4 quarters of a match on a weekly basis that is the issue.

JS74

Draftee
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Am I wrong in saying we currently have 36 on the senior list and 4 on the rookie list?
If this is the case do we not have 2 spots available on both the senior and rookie list?

JS74

Draftee
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
We currently have 38 on the senior list and 4 on the rookie list?
This means we have the option to add 2 on the senior list or 2 on the rookie list. I guess the way we go all depends on the salary cap space we have.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Id rather just cut the losses with Andy Collins, hes never gonna make and be a permanent 22 member. So i would rather draft someone young who we can develope and may be a permanent 22 player ie) betts, garlett, bell, jamison

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Id rather just cut the losses with Andy Collins, hes never gonna make and be a permanent 22 member. So i would rather draft someone young who we can develope and may be a permanent 22 player ie) betts, garlett, bell, jamison
If Mick thinks Andy is worth another year and sees something in him then I am happy to back Mick's judgement. If not then happy to roll the dice in the rookie draft.

BluesBagger

Senior List
Jul 28, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I find it odd that we're seriously considering tippet jr, call me cynical but i figured Adelaide (initially) and Sydney's 'interest' in him was more to entice his brother to sign.

and St Kilda... well they're desperate for a key defender

Juddalenko

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
I heard that due to the all encompassing omnipotence of the great Andrew Collins, the AFL has deemed Carlton need not use a list position to keep him.

Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
I find it odd that we're seriously considering tippet jr, call me cynical but i figured Adelaide (initially) and Sydney's 'interest' in him was more to entice his brother to sign.

and St Kilda... well they're desperate for a key defender

i thought i read somewhere that he was in the "all south australian team" as a key backmen which would lead me to believe he would be the best or one of the best state league key defenders.
he didn't impress much at afl level but its amazing what a year or two can do in a state level can do

But with Andy Mac presumably on the long term injury list until at least May, does that mean we could possibly have Curnow & Bell (as nominated rookies) + Tippett (to make up Andy Mac's spot)?
That would actually sound about right. However, having Tippett as cover if we have another season with our tall defenders falling over like clockwork (see 2009) it might be handy to have at least 1 more tall defender on the rookie list as cover. I know that at the moment, we seem to be all right for our KP defenders (Hendo, Jamo, Watson and Patty Mac), but all it takes is one bad day at the office and we are screwed again.

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
White was given a 1 year extension to cover for the absence of McInness. Plus, Rowe has played FB in the SANFL, I believe.

No need for Tippett to clog our rookie list...

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Nicky Winmar just delisted by St Kilda. Any interest?
It would seem he was delisted on the basis of being in poor shape after returning from leave. It's not a good look, but given the off field issues associated with a number of the mature aged players at St Kilda, you must wonder if the club culture was the issue at St Kilda, rather than Winmar himself. The Saints must have seen something in him to re-sign to a 2nd contract. Personally I haven't seen enough of him to pass judgement on what he can offer, so I would be interested to hear what anyone 'in the know' can tell us about Winmar.

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
26/10/1988 195 cm 91 kg

"Finished fourth in our Best and Fairest playing in the key defensive spot and was not beaten at all by anyone. A left footer who is a quality individual and works super hard to get the absolute best out of himself in all aspects. Played 21 senior games after coming to us after spending time on Brisbane's and Gold Coast's rookie lists. There's been some interest from some Melbourne clubs, with two in particular showing plenty." Mark Mickan, West Adelaide Football operations manager.

I need to see highlights to tell if Tippett is any good...

I guess the Saints are interested in the KPD. We'll be picking before the Saints.

Some wouldn't be happy if we delisted Collins to pick Tippett and Garlett (unlikely). :eek:

Those who wanted us to rookie Rowe in 2010 shouldn't complain...

Tippett sounds like another Sam Rowe-type mature age and potentially AFL ready selection.

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA
Have the Saints delisted Winmar so they have a pick to get Tippett in the PSD and beat us to the punch?

That and Winmar's poor time trial may have formed part of their decision.

That will give some a reason to bash us for passing in the draft...

Possibly.

They also could have done it to sign Josh Toy as a delisted FA (as today is the deadline).

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
So we could potentially pick up two more players?

Wouldn't mind picking Matthew Haynes and let him develop a more defensive style on the rookie list to compliment his explosive speed.

So we could potentially pick up two more players?

Wouldn't mind picking Matthew Haynes and let him develop a more defensive style on the rookie list to compliment his explosive speed.

Yes, we have 2 more spots available on the list. Where we add them is up to us (senior list or rookie list) but I'm sure I remember hearing that we won't be participating in the PSD so they will likely be 2 rookies. Collins will almost certainly be one.......and I'm expecting Reimers to be the other.

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, we have 2 more spots available on the list. Where we add them is up to us (senior list or rookie list) but I'm sure I remember hearing that we won't be participating in the PSD so they will likely be 2 rookies. Collins will almost certainly be one.......and I'm expecting Reimers to be the other.
With Menzel on the list now, I hope we think long and hard about how useless he is.

Collins, Dale, Menzel will all be competing for his spot next year.

Back