The 'Likely retirement date' thread

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
We obviously have a number of guys nearing the last handful of years of their careers e.g. Burgers, Goo, Ossie, etc.

Interested to know when people thought certain players would retire. Of course, injury may cut a few down prematurely and good form and injury-free periods may extend a few. Winning a flag may also cause a few to go out on a high.

My take:

- Bateman
- Bruce

- Osborne

- Guerra
- Hodge

- Lake
- Mitchell
- Burgoyne

- Sewell
- Hale
- Gibson

Thoughts???

(yes, we'd all like Hodge to go a few more but am concerned his body is shot)

I don't think Burgoyne has another 3 years left in him., I reckon Mitchell and Guerra are quite durable that it wouldn't surprise me if they both played for another 3 years. They both have shown no real signs of slowing down, plus both Mitch and Guerra get better with age. The only player certain to retire is Osborne.

Tasmaniac

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I'm on a downer about Hodgey fitness-wise, at the moment.

He is due for a new contract after 2013, depending on what his expectations are, he might be very disappointed in what is offered to him.

i.e. He is probably in top 3 paid players at the moment, he can't be offered another contract like that since he cannot consistently get on the park.

I wonder how Hodgey would react to a large downgrade in pay?

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I'm on a downer about Hodgey fitness-wise, at the moment.

He is due for a new contract after 2013, depending on what his expectations are, he might be very disappointed in what is offered to him.

i.e. He is probably in top 3 paid players at the moment, he can't be offered another contract like that since he cannot consistently get on the park.

I wonder how Hodgey would react to a large downgrade in pay?

Wouldn't surprise me if he moved on to one year rolling contracts like Mitch and, if we won a flag next year, had one more year in him before moving straight into coaching.

I don't think Burgoyne has another 3 years left in him., I reckon Mitchell and Guerra are quite durable that it wouldn't surprise me if they both played for another 3 years. They both have shown no real signs of slowing down, plus both Mitch and Guerra get better with age. The only player certain to retire is Osborne.
The only player certain to retire is Osborne?

I am certain every player will retire.

What date is that happening again, is it 12.12.12?

Just want to be sure I don't pay off my credit cards before then.

Knowing those sneaky bastards, they'll have some sort of 'future progeny' clause. Like if more than 100 of your atoms are found in some form of future lifeform anywhere in the Milky Way they'll be liable for your Amex bill incurred pre end of the world.

The only player certain to retire is Osborne?

I am certain every player will retire.

I know that. What i was trying to say is that at the end of 2013, Osborne is the player that will certainly retire. The others, well that's anyone guess when they will hang up the boots.

Tall Tales and True

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, West Ham Utd,
Let's see - a lazy 60+ out of the pocket, occasional runs on the ball, a stint or two in ruck for good measure (using all his tricks), loose in defence, maybe ... yeah, Bud, 2029 should be a pretty good year. Maybe bow out with a flag too!

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
First thoughts...

2013 Osborne
2014 Guerra, Burgoyne
2015 Hodge
2016 Mitchell
2017 Sewell

We need to be going hard for some premium midfield talent over the next two seasons. This year was probably our last chance to go tall before it becomes a necessity.

Back