Wellcome to WCE Brant Colledge. Adam Carter & Mark Hutchings

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Colledge would be good as a HFF ala Darling his rookie year. If he has the tank and tenacity he would be a real matchup problem for HBF's and provide a marking option and delivery I50. This would allow Darling to stay as a KPF. Looking forward to preseason to see how Colledge, McInnes and McGovern are looking. That's a decent crop of prospects right there.

I want to know what 'intangibles' he thinks he brings.

What an odd and vague answer.

It's pretty simple - all the things don't show up on the stats sheet - drive, character, discipline, leadership, teamwork etc

It's pretty simple - all the things don't show up on the stats sheet - drive, character, discipline, leadership, teamwork etc

I know what football intangibles are.

I would have liked to have heard them from his mouth, that's all. Don't you agree it's a weird answer from a new recruit? Maybe we're just used to mostly meatheads haha.

I would have liked to have heard them from his mouth, that's all. Don't you agree it's a weird answer from a new recruit? Maybe we're just used to mostly meatheads haha.

I think its a fine answer, it shows he is thinking of the team and not individual success.

Better than the usual answers.

Nearly got the 2007 team back together too. ;)

dockers-afl-draft-picks-5765002.jpg

Just jokes.

First thing that came to mind when looking at Palmer's face.

Troll_Face.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few words for our draft experts
40. FremantleEvery chance that Freo takes a couple of KPF prospects this draft and Colledge is one I don’t mind.

Brant Colledge
DOB: 25/10/94 Ht: 192 Wt: 89

Early in the year Colledge had a very bad ankle injury which kept him under the radar a bit. He managed to get back for the end of the Champs and then went on to finish the year very strongly. The strong finish to the year should help him as he showed that he had learnt from the Champs experience and was able put what he had learnt into practice and take his game to the next level. I think his finished to the year would have garnered more attention from teams than many on Big Footy expect. If for any reason he didn't get picked up he is eligible to play next year as an overage player. I am confident though that someone will pick him though.

Colledge has been playing as a high CHF at Colts level but was closer to goal when I saw him at the Champs. At the Champs I was impressed with his hard leading style. I thought he had a few rough edges but he was a forward who charged out and gave his mids a legitimate option to kick it to and if he didn't get it the first time he would lead again. At under 18s you don't see a lot of kids doing multiple hard leads and I am sure people other than myself noticed. His marking is a feature of his game and is what will set him apart from a lot of those being considered in the range where he will go. On his leads he times his arrival at the ball very well and protects the drop zone really nicely. He is a reasonable size but not the biggest KP going around and I like that he doesn't try to extend straight up to mark. Instead he extends out in front of his eyes making it hard for the trailing defender to spoil the ball. His hands are very good and if he gets them on the ball chances are he will stick the mark.

He is not a particularly long kick for goal and struggles from 50. He is a reasonably accurate shot for goal within his range but not elite. He is not a big goal scorer and only managed 10 goals from his 8 Colts games. What he does look to do a lot (probably too much to be honest) is look for teammates inside 50 and he will pass off if given the chance. I am not sure whether he lacks confidence in his kicking or whether he is just being overly unselfish but I am sure his coach at AFL will want him to go back and put it through a bit more than he does atm. It has to be said that there is a lot of unselfishness in his game and he tries very hard to do the little team things like laying blocks for his teammates and shepherding. That is good to see and not all that common amongst junior KPFs.

Athletically he looks pretty strong and seems to be able to generate separation with his pace and work rate. I would expect his endurance to be up there with the best of the key positions and realistically it is probably going to need to be to play the way he does at the next level. At Colts level he often plays a Reiwoldt kind of role where he runs hard and marks a lot. At Colts level he had one game where he picked up 31 disposals and 14 marks and another where he managed 27 disposals and 13 marks so if you give him the right role he can really rack them up. I could see him being a key position as he fills out but interestingly his coach sees him more as a third tall or strong-bodied midfielder. I have to say I don’t see him as a mid but a third tall is not out of the question. If he does have potential to be a Josh Kennedy / Jobe Watson style mid though the interest goes up another level.

Nightmare on draftees
#34 Essendon- Adam Carter (WA –Def/Mid)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 17/04/1994
Recruited from: South Fremantle
Style: Heath Shaw
Player comparison:
Range: 30-50
Profile: Carter while on the short side is not at all short on talent. Has the ability to play either through the midfield or down back. He is a high level rebounding with excellent kicking ability. Carter has great penetration on his kick and uses it as at high disposal efficiency. Defensively is also very solid and has the ability to shut down his man, has good strength 1v1 for a player of his size and while not super quick can go with most small forwards. One aspect of Carter’s play I find really encouraging is his attack on the ball for a smaller guy, really ferocious and can win his own ball in any position. Carter also seems difficult to tackle and has very good core strength allowing him to stand up in those tackles. Athletically Carter is slightly above average but it isn’t a feature of his game as it might be with others.

#75 St Kilda – Brant Colledge (WA - KPF)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 25/10/1994
Recruited from: Perth
Style: Chris Tarrant (leading half forward version)
Player comparison:
Range: 40-rookie
Profile: Colledge is a strong marking key forward who marks it out in front and is very dangerous on the lead and will give you multiple leading efforts until he takes the mark. Colledge has really great smarts and decision making ability for a tall forward. Has a high work rate and finds the leading targets consistently and passes it to where the player wants it which is rare in a key forward. Had an excellent patch during the middle part of the season showing just how impressive he can be at his best but later in the season was slowed by injury.

Snoop on Draftees
# 34 Essendon Adam CarterSouth Fremantle 179cm / 70kg / ‘94I have really struggled where to slot this kid. Some very good WA judges who have seen more than I will say he should be up higher than this. Admittedly when I watch him I think he does lots of things well but he just doesn’t have that one standout attribute those above him have. In saying that you can see that when he gets a bit bigger he will be a very solid midfield who is proficient in close with clean hands and ball use, can get on the spread and accumulate and finish well. He is tough, doesn’t make many mistakes and I will be interested to see who gets him. Whilst had some games in seniors late and was ok he needs time to fill out but is very polished and hence worth the wait. I came very close to slotting Shane Nelson here. He would walk into the midfield group and to be fair I probably have more confidence in a 19yo Nelson than a 18yo Carter. Atkins or Feilds?
# 52 MelbourneBrant Colledge Perth 192cm / 87kg / ‘94Already a pretty big lad and is a fairly imposing sort of figure who suffered from injuries around Champs and we just didnt see the best of him. Just that height that isn’t quite tall enough for KP forward so he will find himself as a flanker / wing type but he is much more agile than people give him credit for and has a real want for the contest. Swans might be looking at bigger talls here in which case Siggins or Gregory would have to be in the mix.
Chris25 on draftees
37. Fremantle - Brant Colledge (192cm forward - Perth)

Brant is one of the more interesting KPPs in the draft in my opinion. At the start of the season, I had him rated quite highly due to the glimpses he showed late last year in the WAFL. But due to injuries Colledge has gone under the radar so far at times this season, in fact he has only played 15 games of WAFL Colts over the last two years. Yet I think he is my third favourite KPF in the draft. In the final match of the U18 Championships for WA, I thought he was the most impressive of the WA talls - playing at CHF, he ran really hard, made multiple leads and marked well. Colledge is a strong mark above his head, and while he might not ever be a 50+ a season goalkicker, he is good at bringing other players into the game. While he can play in the backline, I like him as a CHF leading up the ground. He plays a very high marking and disposal game in the WAFL Colts, and I think he could translate that across to the AFL. AFL Comparison: Jack Gunston.

49. Melbourne - Adam Carter (179cm midfielder - South Fremantle)

Carter is yet another one of those multi-talented athletes who turned his back on a cricket career in favour of the AFL, and it's looking like a pretty good move at the moment. What with being named in the WA squad for the U18 Championships and making his WAFL league debut this year too. Carter has played largely as a small defender so far in his career, and while he might start his career there, I think he'll eventually become part of the midfield rotations for whichever side picks him up. He has been overshadowed a bit by the bigger and flashier WA players so far this year, but he is a big time ball winner and a little tough nut. And not only is a tough, but he is a very smart and skilled player - his kicking in particular seems quite underappreciated. I expect he'll go earlier than this as he is just a really clean player and versatile enough to make the 22 in a number of positions. AFL Comparison: Rhyce Shaw.

Quigley
37. Fremantle
Freo could do worse than take a the smart WA capt who is a training track warrior. I think Carter will be a value pick this year and Freo could get a bargain here.

Adam Carter
DOB: 17/4/94 Ht: 180 Wt: 72

Carter was the WA captain and it is interesting that he played a pretty similar role to Vlastuin at the Champs and played it just as well but he is likely to go significantly lower than Vlastuin. He is studying law in WA and is a smart kid who seems to be just as good a leader as Vlastuin. In the huddles he is the bloke who does the talking and leads the way on the training track with a great work ethic. In addition to his AFL he has until recently been an elite cricket prospect who toured India with the Australian schoolboys team. Now that he is focused full-time on his football it is fair to assume he will develop more.

This year he played mostly on the half back flank but he also showed some pretty decent ability to play through the midfield. At the back he provides good run forward and not only that he is a very capable one on one defender. He is strong, quick and agile and will make life difficult for anyone he is matched up on. His speed is good but not elite but he is smart enough to compensate when playing on the elite speed guys. He can put the body on and force the forward toward the pockets or out of range. He is also solid overhead and capable of holding his own in the marking contest against players he is likely to match up on.

When he was moved into the midfield he was effective winning clearances and generally giving the WA more punch in the middle of the ground. The WA midfield often lacked ball clearance players and when Carter was in there there was a definite up tick in the performance of that unit. Similarly when someone was getting away down back Carter was often the one sent back to quieten them down and he was successful in that more often than not.

Carter is a long kick who kicks with nice weight whether going long or short. He follows his kicks up nicely and can link up well going forward. He has good hurt factor on his kicks and unlike most in this draft he also has good hurt factor on his handballs. He can bring out good sweeping handballs when the situation warrants it. Under pressure he doesn't panic and will take the time he needs to get the ball to the right option. He displays good vision whether in tight or out in the open and then he can hit the open man that he sees.

In the contest his hands are probably not clean as some but he is still pretty reasonable. He shows good attack on the ball in contested situations and if an opposition gets the ball he is an able tackler. Overall Carter is a solid half back prospect who will potentially develop into a really nice midfielder.

1. 40. Fremantle
    Every chance that Freo takes a couple of KPF prospects this draft and Colledge is one I don’t mind.

Brant Colledge
    DOB: 25/10/94 Ht: 192 Wt: 89

Early in the year Colledge had a very bad ankle injury which kept him under the radar a bit. He managed to get back for the end of the Champs and then went on to finish the year very strongly. The strong finish to the year should help him as he showed that he had learnt from the Champs experience and was able put what he had learnt into practice and take his game to the next level. I think his finished to the year would have garnered more attention from teams than many on Big Footy expect. If for any reason he didn't get picked up he is eligible to play next year as an overage player. I am confident though that someone will pick him though.

Colledge has been playing as a high CHF at Colts level but was closer to goal when I saw him at the Champs. At the Champs I was impressed with his hard leading style. I thought he had a few rough edges but he was a forward who charged out and gave his mids a legitimate option to kick it to and if he didn't get it the first time he would lead again. At under 18s you don't see a lot of kids doing multiple hard leads and I am sure people other than myself noticed. His marking is a feature of his game and is what will set him apart from a lot of those being considered in the range where he will go. On his leads he times his arrival at the ball very well and protects the drop zone really nicely. He is a reasonable size but not the biggest KP going around and I like that he doesn't try to extend straight up to mark. Instead he extends out in front of his eyes making it hard for the trailing defender to spoil the ball. His hands are very good and if he gets them on the ball chances are he will stick the mark.

He is not a particularly long kick for goal and struggles from 50. He is a reasonably accurate shot for goal within his range but not elite. He is not a big goal scorer and only managed 10 goals from his 8 Colts games. What he does look to do a lot (probably too much to be honest) is look for teammates inside 50 and he will pass off if given the chance. I am not sure whether he lacks confidence in his kicking or whether he is just being overly unselfish but I am sure his coach at AFL will want him to go back and put it through a bit more than he does atm. It has to be said that there is a lot of unselfishness in his game and he tries very hard to do the little team things like laying blocks for his teammates and shepherding. That is good to see and not all that common amongst junior KPFs.

Athletically he looks pretty strong and seems to be able to generate separation with his pace and work rate. I would expect his endurance to be up there with the best of the key positions and realistically it is probably going to need to be to play the way he does at the next level. At Colts level he often plays a Reiwoldt kind of role where he runs hard and marks a lot. At Colts level he had one game where he picked up 31 disposals and 14 marks and another where he managed 27 disposals and 13 marks so if you give him the right role he can really rack them up. I could see him being a key position as he fills out but interestingly his coach sees him more as a third tall or strong-bodied midfielder. I have to say I don’t see him as a mid but a third tall is not out of the question. If he does have potential to be a Josh Kennedy / Jobe Watson style mid though the interest goes up another level.

I want to know what 'intangibles' he thinks he brings.

What an odd and vague answer.

I had a similar reaction. I reckon he interpreted the question as 'what can you bring to the club THIS year'.

Realistically he won't get many games this season, so you can see why he chose that answer.

The more I look over our picks, the happier I am with Colledge and Carter! Think we've done really well there.

I was very harsh on Hutchings, but I don't want to turn on our own players, so I'll cut him some slack. I suppose he adds ready made depth, which can't be a bad thing!

Well done Vosso and co.

The more I look over our picks, the happier I am with Colledge and Carter! Think we've done really well there.

I was very harsh on Hutchings, but I don't want to turn on our own players, so I'll cut him some slack. I suppose he adds ready made depth, which can't be a bad thing!

Well done Vosso and co.

What's your honest opinion on Hutchings' WAFL form? Naturally I don't get to see much WAFL.

What's your honest opinion on Hutchings' WAFL form? Naturally I don't get to see much WAFL.

I dunno, I guess I always saw him as fitting into the 'too good for WAFL but not up to AFL' level. He's obviously a hard worker and gets plenty of the ball, skills could use a bit of improving but as an inside mid that isn't the biggest problem in the world. Think he has a bit more pace than I credit him for so all in all he probably will add better depth than Swift and Stevens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back