Goulburn Valley General Thread 2011- 2012

Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
Fixture is out. Echuca not happy because they lost their Easter game v Rochy. Next year they've divided the comp into geographic groups (Bears, United, Swans & Mooroopna; Euroa, Seymour, Mansfield & Benalla; Echuca, Rochy, Kyabram & Tatura). Each group will play each other twice and then the other groups once.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fixture is out. Echuca not happy because they lost their Easter game v Rochy. Next year they've divided the comp into geographic groups (Bears, United, Swans & Mooroopna; Euroa, Seymour, Mansfield & Benalla; Echuca, Rochy, Kyabram & Tatura). Each group will play each other twice and then the other groups once.

The geographic grouping is ridiculous! The fixture will be compromised. For example if you are a bottom team and your closest neighbours are powerhouses then you just keep getting whacked! Not sure Echuca would be looking forward to playing Rochy, Ky and Tat an extra time if they are much stronger? Thoughts?

sparra

All Australian
Nov 16, 2005
down a dirt track
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
country footy
The geographic grouping is ridiculous! The fixture will be compromised. For example if you are a bottom team and your closest neighbours are powerhouses then you just keep getting whacked! Not sure Echuca would be looking forward to playing Rochy, Ky and Tat an extra time if they are much stronger? Thoughts?
I like it.

An extra incentive to make your own club stronger to defeat your more local rivals

sanger

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
The fixture will always be compromised when teams don't play each other an even number of times. I think this is more about maximising crowds and revenue for clubs.

Couldnt agree more, we play GV to play against the best as often as possible, not play our neighbour because they are up the road. IMHO the groupings based fixture is a bad call. Hopefully we be a one off

Sandra7

Draftee
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Good news for Ky with weeks sighning at Rochy. Doubt if Ogden will go to Sqaure now, so Paul Newman can expect his usual feed from the little bloke coming out of the centre. Have heard Dirty has had a lot to say here!!!

Can Guarantee you that Ogden would not have left ky regardless of Squares team this year!

GG Rides Again

All Australian
Apr 20, 2007
Intangible
AFL Club
Hawthorn

IMO Mansfield and Seymour are gifted an extra game as their group is the weakest with Euroa and Benalla. Echuca,Rochy, Ky and Tat could all probably beat each other on their day but not so these others. I think the Shepp based teams will improve based on recruits so on may also be able to beat each other. Cant see it with Euroa and Benalla group unless they improve significantly from last year.

thats a massive advantage to Seymour and mansfield as its basically a given to win those 4 games playing each other twice. Pencil both in for finals already based on this.

Random draw for me is the only fair way to do the draw. Can I ask the expected crowd sizes for the blockbuster Seymour V Benalla or Mansfield v Euroa and return home games. Does not make sense.

Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
Couldnt agree more, we play GV to play against the best as often as possible, not play our neighbour because they are up the road. IMHO the groupings based fixture is a bad call. Hopefully we be a one off

According to the Shepp News; "It is believed Euroa president Scott Watson floated the adopted draw, which was narrowly passed by club delegates over the proposed one by the league."

Might only last one year.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Good news for Ky with weeks sighning at Rochy. Doubt if Ogden will go to Sqaure now, so Paul Newman can expect his usual feed from the little bloke coming out of the centre. Have heard Dirty has had a lot to say here!!!
Why wouldn't he play at redan and cut down all his travel, or play for sandhurst and hit Ricky symes on the chest 10 times, I believe they have close ties, surely he has proved his loyalty to ky traveling back the last couple of years from the rat

Tatsean

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2007
Tatura
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tatura Bulldogs
I hope we recruit some talls....I heard of a few good players from NTFL, VFL and SANFL are close to signing (not sure if they were included in your 3 Ringo), but if you look at our losses....other than Murphy and Broadbent: Little, Shaw, Crawford, Ryan, Browning and Trewin are all reasonably tall players! So we should be thereabouts again next season, but a smaller side by the looks....

Deer Park is going to have a strong side with the amount of money they may be paying the Melbourne based players we had last season..... (Don't know if true or not but I heard between 30-40K including sign up fees)

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hope we recruit some talls....I heard of a few good players from NTFL, VFL and SANFL are close to signing (not sure if they were included in your 3 Ringo), but if you look at our losses....other than Murphy and Broadbent: Little, Shaw, Crawford, Ryan, Browning and Trewin are all reasonably tall players! So we should be thereabouts again next season, but a smaller side by the looks....

Deer Park is going to have a strong side with the amount of money they may be paying the Melbourne based players we had last season..... (Don't know if true or not but I heard between 30-40K including sign up fees)

Wall is a mobile tall with a huge engine . The figures regarding Deer Park are true. Some players on 30k! Tat have done well with the signings and will be top 4 at least.

Blueboy67

All Australian
May 10, 2012
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton

Where is Ryan going? I saw a previous post on this forum about Ryan leaving, is this confirmed? I am also hearing confirmed reports on Broadford in the RDFL making approaches to Paul Kirby as he played there with Barry Hall in the juniors.

Tatsean

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2007
Tatura
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tatura Bulldogs
Where is Ryan going? I saw a previous post on this forum about Ryan leaving, is this confirmed? I am also hearing confirmed reports on Broadford in the RDFL making approaches to Paul Kirby as he played there with Barry Hall in the juniors.
I have heard that Ryan is traveling overseas next year, not sure if he is missing the entire season or part there of, so he hasn't left for another club....Kirby rumours will be rife in minor and major leagues in at the moment...all the better players are. 8 weeks ago the O&M site had him going to Wangaratta Rovers and I have heard of 3 others between then and now - you say Broady???? Won't believe that he is going anywhere unless Ringo or Hank post it...I think they are on the money at the moment with their postings on player movements :)

Blueboy67

All Australian
May 10, 2012
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I have heard that Ryan is traveling overseas next year, not sure if he is missing the entire season or part there of, so he hasn't left for another club....Kirby rumours will be rife in minor and major leagues in at the moment...all the better players are. 8 weeks ago the O&M site had him going to Wangaratta Rovers and I have heard of 3 others between then and now - you say Broady???? Won't believe that he is going anywhere unless Ringo or Hank post it...I think they are on the money at the moment with their postings on player movements :)
Never said he was going to Broadford, just that they had made an approach. Thanks for the update on Buffa Ryan.

Back