Perth Demons Supporters Thread.

The_Flood

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
On a more positive note than last weeks league result the reserves have had a couple of nice wins including beating last years Premiers. Looks like they have some soild depth so should be in for good year, hell I'd even be happy with a Ressies Flag!!

Colts don't appear to be travelling as well

Dockersman

Senior List
Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Moto GP, F1
A few questions regarding the players mentioned in this post...

- Is Tim Noakes an official Demon? His name wasn't in the Budget.

- What was wrong with Jacobs/Busher/Zucconi? What injuries do they have?

- Saw McDougall was on the boundary in a coaching role, is he planning on playing at all this year or just in a coaching role?
Tim Noakes was added to the player list on Waflonline yesterday. Will most likely play a couple of ressies games i would say before being considered for selection.

Rob De Jongh some say is 3 weeks away but is not even on the clubs list. Also noticed that Daniel O'Sullivan is not on the clubs list and he was named in the leadership group a month ago.

I don't expect to see McDougall play this year. He has a bad groin injury and should have had an operation last year but didn't. People keep saying he is about to have it done but it's too late for this year. Players don't come back in a hurry from those things.

7472fe42.gif

Thank God we finally got over the line...

ajl9470

Draftee
Oct 21, 2007
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching on Saturday and the few weeks previous, it would seem that demons players are told not to back one another in the contest and no matter what you do "maintain posession".. Time after time when forward of centre our guys will look sideways/backwards as first option.. Would it not be better to look forward ??

Either the players dont know how to attack and do not have enough faith to back one another to win a one on one contest or the instrcutions are simply "do screw it up - maintain possession". Guys in the forward line are making position but by the time the guys in the middle have looked sideways and backwards its too late.. Bloody frustrating to watch...

Are the coaches coaching for the team or are they coaching in such a way that implicitly is out of the manual and in effect showing little faith int he players to win a one on one contest ?? To many players kicking to a select few and not backing one another and kicking to so called lesser lights who are in a better position ...:mad:

wayne gosnay

Draftee
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons
What does everyone else think about this coach of Demons. I think he is out of his league.

The_Flood

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the last game against West Perth shows that Perth can't play the game McMahon wants them to play, nearly 30 more inside 50's translated into a 7 goal thumping. He needs to realize he is coaching in the WAFL and not the AFL and adjust the plan so we don't leak gimme goals to the opposition week in and week out when our so called press is penetrated.

We had the worst possible start to the season playing Claremont in stinking hot conditions and being 3 men down absolutely killed us and we should look to see if we can play twilight or night games early in the season to avoid any such recurrence. Seikierka and Vidot going down with serious injuries followed by JKT the following week in the disaster against SF really tested our depth and offset the improvement the new recruits were expected to deliver. We have played some good footy in patches this year but been really disappointing more often than not.

I'm not sure what the dimensions of Lathlain are but Ross Lyon commented a month or so again"something like is that the biggest ground in Australia or what" . Maybe that is part of our problem and we should seriously look to reshape the ground and adjust our game plan to suit a smaller ground. Playing on a large ground every second week means players are being required to consistently cover more distance.

Our forward line has really struggled at times with far more congestion that opposition set ups. We have a few players who can kick long range goals in Rogers and Florio yet we don't use these players to our advantage. Florio certainly hasn't come on as a player from 2011. Players like Moody need to lift their defensive efforts 6 tackles from 10 games isn't pressuring opposition defenders enough. We haven't got one player in the top 25 goal kickers for the year and not one player has kicked 15 goals. Busher would have been very handy if we had continued to develop from his form towards the end of 2011.

I don't know if he can coach however it certainly doesn't look like he motivates the players and the current set-up ain't working and doesn't look likely to.

Demons09

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2009
rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the last game against West Perth shows that Perth can't play the game McMahon wants them to play, nearly 30 more inside 50's translated into a 7 goal thumping. He needs to realize he is coaching in the WAFL and not the AFL and adjust the plan so we don't leak gimme goals to the opposition week in and week out when our so called press is penetrated.

We had the worst possible start to the season playing Claremont in stinking hot conditions and being 3 men down absolutely killed us and we should look to see if we can play twilight or night games early in the season to avoid any such recurrence. Seikierka and Vidot going down with serious injuries followed by JKT the following week in the disaster against SF really tested our depth and offset the improvement the new recruits were expected to deliver. We have played some good footy in patches this year but been really disappointing more often than not.

I'm not sure what the dimensions of Lathlain are but Ross Lyon commented a month or so again"something like is that the biggest ground in Australia or what" . Maybe that is part of our problem and we should seriously look to reshape the ground and adjust our game plan to suit a smaller ground. Playing on a large ground every second week means players are being required to consistently cover more distance.

Our forward line has really struggled at times with far more congestion that opposition set ups. We have a few players who can kick long range goals in Rogers and Florio yet we don't use these players to our advantage. Florio certainly hasn't come on as a player from 2011. Players like Moody need to lift their defensive efforts 6 tackles from 10 games isn't pressuring opposition defenders enough. We haven't got one player in the top 25 goal kickers for the year and not one player has kicked 15 goals. Busher would have been very handy if we had continued to develop from his form towards the end of 2011.

I don't know if he can coach however it certainly doesn't look like he motivates the players and the current set-up ain't working and doesn't look likely to.

At the end of the day the buck stops with the coach, finishing with 9 wins in 2011 and then recruiting the players we have this year suggests finals was realistic, at this stage it looks like we will be fighting it out with Peel for the spoon.

A couple of weeks ago Peel sacked their coach sending a message it will no longer accept mediocrity, imo the Perth coach should of been sacked after the debacle in rnd2 when Souths beat us after being 50 points down at 3 qtr time, losing from that position is unforgivable and it has set the trend for the year thus far.

ajl9470

Draftee
Oct 21, 2007
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Agreed McMahon needs to go.. Just listened to a couple of Chris Mitsopolous' comments on 91.3 on the weekend . "Dumb football to say the least.." My brothers young bloke plays, gets into the game on Sunday through the guts couple of goal assists, gets benched and then so it goes on .. Perth's rotations seem like a chook raffle along with their style of play..

The_Flood

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Listened to the radio this afternoon and glad to hear the boys show some fight culminating in a fantastic 9 goal last quarter. Hopefully they'll take a heap of confidence out of the game as they front up to Claremont next week. There wasn't any comments about dumb footy today so maybe they've woken up!! Sounds like Lower had a cracker so he could be a chance for Freo next weekend.

pull ya soxs up

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2012
South Perth WA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Swan Districts FC.....WAFL
Listened to the radio this afternoon and glad to hear the boys show some fight culminating in a fantastic 9 goal last quarter. Hopefully they'll take a heap of confidence out of the game as they front up to Claremont next week. There wasn't any comments about dumb footy today so maybe they've woken up!! Sounds like Lower had a cracker so he could be a chance for Freo next weekend.
well , perth came from behind and not looking too good 3/4 time, to produce a barnstorming finish to rip east perth apart and go home with the 4pts. the only problem was the atrocious umpiring all day. just cant beleive the incompentency of these jokers. sat 11 aug 2012.

The_Flood

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I had the misfortune the pay $15 yesterday to watch my team get flogged by 149 points in possibly the most inept performance I've ever witnessed. This is the team that contained 10 players either on or previously on an AFL list, and a team that in the last quarter of its previous game had kicked 9 goals to beat the 3rd placed team on the WAFL Ladder.
Obviously they had their weekends mixed up and thought the bye was this week. Honestly they should have played the ressies who managed to knock off top placed Claremont.
The instruction at quarter time was very clearly to go man on man and I can only assume the players don't know what that is and the coaches have failed by assuming league players know what that means. I don't know if McMahon is a good coach or not but it is very obvious he has lost the players as you only need to look at the undivided attention being paid to him at 3 quarter time.
Poor Hunt playing his first league game must have wondered what the hell he'd got himself into.

The_Flood

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well McMahon is staying and is going to be supported by a senior midfield coach and new strength and conditioning staff. Hopefully the new coach has some common sense

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
A fair bit of Perth's talent on the move this year. Losing Young who is a superstar is a disaster. Lucky they've signed Chance Bateman!

Whilst you can understand where a number of personality issues may have played a role, it's going to leave a big hole of talent. Perhaps this is the start of turning their culture around.

Gone
Ross Young 2012 19 games, 26.1 disposals, 16 goals
Nick Lower 2012 10 games, 24.5 disposals, 7 goals
Aaron Elari 2012 14 games, 22.6 disposals
Llane Spaanderman 2012 14 games, 13.3 disposals, 21.6 hitouts
Ben Noakes 2012 11 games, 18.7 disposals
Tim Noakes 2012 15 games, 13.5 disposals, 15 goals
Jarrod Kayler-Thomson (just 2 games in 2012 due to injury) 2011 18 games, 20.5 disposals, 12 goals
Andrew McDougall (didn't play in 2012) 2011 16 games, 19.7 disposals, 7 goals, 23.1 hitouts

Undecided
Leon Davis 2012 17 games, 21.5 disposals, 19 goals

Looking elsewhere
Mat Rogers 2012 11 games, 16.8 disposals, 10 goals

The_Flood

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good news with Reimers signing who will add a bit of agression to our attack and hopefully become the consistent goal scorer which we've lacked for years. Good to see Chance back and maybe pick up Cruize too to improve our clearance work. Pity to see Young, great contibutor to the club whilst he was here. Looks like Peel and a few other clubs are going to have improved lists so we definitely need a few more quality additions to be able to compete.

Demons09

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2009
rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good news with Reimers signing who will add a bit of agression to our attack and hopefully become the consistent goal scorer which we've lacked for years. Good to see Chance back and maybe pick up Cruize too to improve our clearance work. Pity to see Young, great contibutor to the club whilst he was here. Looks like Peel and a few other clubs are going to have improved lists so we definitely need a few more quality additions to be able to compete.

Yes good news regarding Reimers and Chance, i believe Cruize is on Peels radar with the losses of Young,Elari, KaylerThompson, Spannderman, Noakes Brothers, Mcdougal and the real possibility that Leon wont line up for Perth this season i can't see us not taking home the wooden spoon.

The_Flood

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just checking the player listings and there's a 10 point player Jackson Sketcher showing as being from Franston. Anyone know anything about him? Tried googling him without much luck apart from he was part of the TAC 2010 team of year and a dual captain with Sandringham and was listed as being 178cm and 88 kegs. Loks like Footygoss and WAFL on-line have both bitten the dust so hopefully start getting a bit of news via big footy

Yes good news regarding Reimers and Chance, i believe Cruize is on Peels radar with the losses of Young,Elari, KaylerThompson, Spannderman, Noakes Brothers, Mcdougal and the real possibility that Leon wont line up for Perth this season i can't see us not taking home the wooden spoon.

I assume Garlett has signed, as he shows on the players list on the club website.

Meh, those players leaving never got us any success. It isn't as big as loss as it seems to be IMO.

We won't win the spoon, I think we have enough talent in the midfield (Bateman, Smith, Garlett etc) to ensure we give the forwards (some good prospects there with McInnes, Tunbridge etc) enough ball to kick winning scores.

Just checking the player listings and there's a 10 point player Jackson Sketcher showing as being from Franston. Anyone know anything about him? Tried googling him without much luck apart from he was part of the TAC 2010 team of year and a dual captain with Sandringham and was listed as being 178cm and 88 kegs. Loks like Footygoss and WAFL on-line have both bitten the dust so hopefully start getting a bit of news via big footy

Must have signed, showing on the club website! Sounds like a good pick up.

Demons09

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2009
rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
A fair bit of Perth's talent on the move this year. Losing Young who is a superstar is a disaster. Lucky they've signed Chance Bateman!

Whilst you can understand where a number of personality issues may have played a role, it's going to leave a big hole of talent. Perhaps this is the start of turning their culture around.

Gone
Ross Young 2012 19 games, 26.1 disposals, 16 goals
Nick Lower 2012 10 games, 24.5 disposals, 7 goals
Aaron Elari 2012 14 games, 22.6 disposals
Llane Spaanderman 2012 14 games, 13.3 disposals, 21.6 hitouts
Ben Noakes 2012 11 games, 18.7 disposals
Tim Noakes 2012 15 games, 13.5 disposals, 15 goals
Jarrod Kayler-Thomson (just 2 games in 2012 due to injury) 2011 18 games, 20.5 disposals, 12 goals
Andrew McDougall (didn't play in 2012) 2011 16 games, 19.7 disposals, 7 goals, 23.1 hitouts

Undecided
Leon Davis 2012 17 games, 21.5 disposals, 19 goals

Looking elsewhere
Mat Rogers 2012 11 games, 16.8 disposals, 10 goals

You can add Cruise Garlett who has joined Peel for more $$$$, how the * can they have eight ten point players on their list and also stay under the salary cap? this club still owes the WAFC money,this comp is becoming farcical by the day, i give it 2 years and the WAFL will be finished.

Docker Clint

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sturt
I cant work out how Peel can be signing blokes from outside their area when theyve been gifted the Freo reserves.

IIRC, wasn't Peel formed to have another pathway for players from the Mandurah region? IMO, one of the conditions of their alignment should've been that all top up players must come from the local district.

I cant work out how Peel can be signing blokes from outside their area when theyve been gifted the Freo reserves.

IIRC, wasn't Peel formed to have another pathway for players from the Mandurah region? IMO, one of the conditions of their alignment should've been that all top up players must come from the local district.

I think the AFL affiliated players are worth zero points hence why they are able to sign up quite a few pricey recruits.

The_Flood

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gee that is really disappointing news given our other losses, Cruize would have been more than handy in improving our clearances, plus good disposal around the ground and chipping in with a few goals. We face Peel 1st round at home on March 16 so will be interesting start to the season

Docker Clint

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sturt
I think the AFL affiliated players are worth zero points hence why they are able to sign up quite a few pricey recruits.

The AFL listed players have always been zero points, what amazes me is if Peel and East Perth still have the same overall points and salary cap as the other clubs. It would explain why Peel are able to suddenly run around signing up 10 point players, they've also got extra cash to splash around now that most of their league team is being paid by the Dockers.

Very surprised that this loophole would be open.

Hypothetical situation:

- Peel and East Perth make the finals because they've been able to win games off the boot of AFL listed players.
- Freo and West Coast miss the finals and dont want to risk their players by having them play on in the WAFL after their season is over.
- Peel and East Perth are suddenly filled with second stringers and are smashed out of the finals. Effectively there's only two WAFL teams in the race anyway.

No wonder there's calls that the competition is now compromised. After a couple of seasons of this, the other clubs will be begging for Freo and West Coast to have their stand alone ressies teams just to make it stop.

The_Flood

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Posters the PFC website has a Preseason Update now posted, as known quite a few significant losses but also pleasing to see a number of new recruits

Back