Employment Looking for a part time job (HS student)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
To fit in with school, study time and sports. I made a thread like this about a year or so ago but I decided to make a new one. I'm 16 and I'm looking for a part time job (preferably something that's fun or not too boring). A mate is thinking of going to Big W and applying for a job there and I was thinking of doing the same. I hear the pay for stacking shelfs there is quite decent.

The other places I've been thinking of working at for ages are the McDonalds that is close to my house ( the bus home goes right past there) and the local pizza shop which is quite busy on weekends but if I was to work there I'd be working at night.

Obviously flexibility is key for me, especially with VCE starting for me next year. I don't want to be locked in to working certain days and hours (I've heard certain places try to do this, taking advantage of naive kids who just say yes to anything) and not having the ability to change days, hours etc.

I'm happy to listen to anyone's recommendations. I'll also add that pay isn't super important to me but I'd like to pocket a nice amount of coin.

I worked at Safeway from 14 for 7 years. They gave me a 10 hour contract (same hours every week), which was great (5 hours Fridays and 5 hours Sundays). The weeks I could work extra (holidays/days off etc), I worked more and the weeks I didn't want to work I got holiday/sick pay. You are better off getting a contract so you get the benefits (especially since you would want to take time off to study etc) and you can transfer between stores which would be handy if you were moving away for uni.

From what I understand (and comparing with my friends at the time), Safeway paid the best out of all the fast foods and Coles. Although, if you want "something" at the end of your employment, Maccas give you food safety training and you can get certificates, where as Safeway does not.

I guess it depends on what hours you are available to work and what the place is willing to offer, but I would strongly suggest a contract of the minimum amount (which back in the day was 10 hours) and use it to your advantage.

To fit in with school, study time and sports. I made a thread like this about a year or so ago but I decided to make a new one. I'm 16 and I'm looking for a part time job (preferably something that's fun or not too boring). A mate is thinking of going to Big W and applying for a job there and I was thinking of doing the same. I hear the pay for stacking shelfs there is quite decent.

The other places I've been thinking of working at for ages are the McDonalds that is close to my house ( the bus home goes right past there) and the local pizza shop which is quite busy on weekends but if I was to work there I'd be working at night.

Obviously flexibility is key for me, especially with VCE starting for me next year. I don't want to be locked in to working certain days and hours (I've heard certain places try to do this, taking advantage of naive kids who just say yes to anything) and not having the ability to change days, hours etc.

I'm happy to listen to anyone's recommendations. I'll also add that pay isn't super important to me but I'd like to pocket a nice amount of coin.

I have worked at HJ's a Gaming lounge tatts and Coles.

Coles is the easiest imo, less stress, Produce is a piece of piss to do, grocery similar but not as good imo

HJ's pay is miserable, Maccas a fair bit better, but i think they work you like a pig, hardest of all my jobs funnily, and was paid like 7 bucks an hour.

What was said above is true, a PT contract will get you hours at a slightly lower rate but you can easily work more than 10 when you are free and get casual rates there after i believe.

BIG W is a good bet, similar to coles reallly

Big W is actually part of Woolworths so I would say they would pay the same as Woolworths, BWS, Caltex etc

Advice for the OP DO NOT work at a fast food place if you have the choice of working at a supermarket or big retail store. The money is shithouse in fast food and the job sucks. Only work fast food as a last resort.

So I turn up with my resume for Big W and they don't accept resumes. I had to apply online and there's no part time jobs available according to their system :(

I worked in hospitality.

If you can get through the first 6 months of washing dishes, you can start learning in the kitchen, and trust me - cooking is a skill that will help in the long term (not just for yourself but also for the ladies :p)

As soon as I was 18 I started to swap the kitchen for the bar which is a lot of fun, and a great way to be social and meet people. Hospitality fgot me through my final years of high school and uni - and now I can cook to impress, and know how to pour a darn good beer and mix a cocktail for a lady I am trying to impress.

Plus if you work in hospitality you know you can get a job ANYWHERE overseas if you travel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back