• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
I'm seeing a lot of eyes starting to turn towards tennis in the aftermath of the Lance Armstrong scandal in cycling, asking questions about tennis and about really how serious is teh ITF and WTA about testing. They refuse to take action against players who do not make themselves available for out of competition testing (required by WADA) and noticable lack of declaring any positive tests at all in a sport that has a high level of power involved in it makes you wonder.

Personally I have no doubt that performance enhancing drugs are common on the circuit, to believe otherwise is burying your head in the sand. Power is now of massive importance in tennis and with the potential to earn huge amounts of money, players would be taking the risk of being caught on to potentially earn the sort of prize money available.

Just wodnering what others think?

i reckon they exist on the circuit most prominently at the fringe. but most players inside the top 100 would be there on merit rather than drug related imo

Rafael-Nadal-shirtless.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them are on drugs, including players that I like, male and female. Its good that the traditionally silent and up everyone's arse sections of the tennis media are actually starting to talk about this. If cycling can have a massive crisis with all that testing, think of what's going on with tennis when they hardly test at all. As I mentioned in the cycling forum's Lance Armstrong thread, the issue is, you take one down, they will pretty much have to take them all.

David Ferrer was questioned recently due to being in proximity with a sports doctor involved in cyclist doping. I think he is clean though, but it would explain his endurance abilities in some ways.

I can recall back in the early 2000's both Juan Ignacio Chela and Guillermo Canas got punished for alleged doping. Both were early in their careers, and had some good results. However, both players ultimately bounced back and were top 20 mainstays. Bohdan Ulihrach is another that comes to memory, and there was a lot of talk about Petr Korda as well from memory.
The big one would be Mariano Puerta, who almost won the French Open in 2005, and was found out within 12 months. That was potentially embarassing.

Then there is Gasquet who missed around a year due to a suspension for recreational drug use.

Imo, young players are most prone to drug taking. At the moment, it is difficult for young players to cement themselves in the top 50, often due to less physical development. Years in pro tour-Challenger limbo could spark use. The tennis season is also a punishing schedule, and there is some money to be won.

Well would you look at this; Serena Williams doesn't do weights :rolleyes:.
HTML:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/nov/18/superhumans-serena-williams-tom-sietas
She's not the only one to make comments in a similar vein though....

On the men's side it is not about PEDs that provide strength, it is those which provide greater endurance and the ability to back up 4-5 hour matches a couple of days later. Just look at how the game has evolved in the last few years.

Tennis has its head in the sand. As a major international sport the amount of out of competition tests that it conducts is disgusting.

Exactly what pepsi said. If the risks are small and the rewards large this is what you get. I think it is problem facing almost every professional sport, including golf.

Of course there are the rumours regarding the real reason why Nadal is currently not playing.

Whether they are BS or not, who knows, but in saying that anyone who doubts systematic spainish doping should google the name Johann Mühlegg.

On the men's side it is not about PEDs that provide strength, it is those which provide greater endurance and the ability to back up 4-5 hour matches a couple of days later. Just look at how the game has evolved in the last few years.

Tennis has its head in the sand. As a major international sport the amount of out of competition tests that it conducts is disgusting.

There are so many sus things about Nadal. The fact he was tested *once* out of competition in 2009 is comical.

If Nadal isn't on the juice, noone is.

IMO the most suspiscion lies with Nadal, Serena, Errani, Ferrer and possibly Djokovic (initially struggles to finish matches, egg business etc). Many would say last year's final was a farce and demonstrated that both players are on roids. Serena I'm absolutely convinced is up to something. As much as I like Stosur I wouldn't be surprised if she was up to something. She is unbelievably cut for a woman and has in the past apparently made comments about not doing bicep curls, despite her arms... Although at this point there's no public knowledge about any odd behaviour associates, so I think people have stopped focussing on her. ITF is arguably worse than the UCI.

The suspicion lies with Federer and Djokovic.

Just ask the tournament doctor of the first Wimbledon that Federer won how clean Roger's first Wimbledon victory was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fed has an average record in 5 set matches, hasn't had strange absences throughout his career and has never had a rapid improvement in form/fitness seemingly overnight. He's doing it wrong if he's on drugs.

Or considering he has won 17 Grand Slams and you don't think he has really raised much suspicion, I'd say he's doing it right (incredibly right). ;)

Agree he is the least likely to be doing it out of the top few. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Unfortunately I think tennis may be the next sport that comes clean and a lot of people will be disappointed in their heros. Just like cycling. And in future, just like AFL most likely. Just like soccer. Just like any Spanish or Italian sporting team...

Winner of the 98 Australian Open Korda got done later in the year.

Tennis wont be 100% clean, but Cycling is so far corrupt into the administration itself there is nothing else like it. A lot of cyclists had nothing to fear from the tester, Tennis, not the same story.

I'd be surprised if Fed was on anything. His record has come from being the most skillful player of all time, not being abnormally fit/able to chase everything and anything down.

Fed has an average record in 5 set matches, hasn't had strange absences throughout his career and has never had a rapid improvement in form/fitness seemingly overnight. He's doing it wrong if he's on drugs.

Fed's career progression is very solid. I remember back in the day when he was a "under achiever". For mine, he is clean, or at least, very close to clean. He has had the standard progression, and his weapon is primarily his touch. His serves aren't the fastest, just the most accurate etc.

Unless it's Sam, if we're doping we really haven't done a very good job.

Was my thought process as well. Not really working if that's the case. But tennis wasn't really mentioned apart from possible corruption in matches which has been a long known issue for years now

I'd be surprised if tennis is involved with the drug side of this report because of the global nature of the sport. Like every sport, it isn't 100% clean that's for sure, there will be always someone trying to get an advantage, just the nature of competition

i don't think drugs in tennis will be that big of an issue. there will be the odd case like in sport but it's a sport where people can be amazing at the game without the need for PED's. Apart from the marathon 5 setters tennis players can play a 3 setter on a relative level of fitness. I am not for a second discounting tennis as a hard fitness sport, i play it myself and know. As for corruption anyone who looks at the Betfair pools and such must be worries. to have up to tens of millions placed on one match can look a bit suss.

i don't think drugs in tennis will be that big of an issue. there will be the odd case like in sport but it's a sport where people can be amazing at the game without the need for PED's. Apart from the marathon 5 setters tennis players can play a 3 setter on a relative level of fitness. I am not for a second discounting tennis as a hard fitness sport, i play it myself and know. As for corruption anyone who looks at the Betfair pools and such must be worries. to have up to tens of millions placed on one match can look a bit suss.
IMO this idea that certain sports, such as tennis don't lendthemselves to doping is crazy. Obviously you need to have talent regardless, but if you know you can play for hours on end without tiring, your technique will break down less often and you can basically just grind your opponents down. If Nadal were Aussie he'd be in heaps of s**t.

Re Sam, if she's up to anything it'd probably take place OS so she'd be in the clear ATM.

Back