Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 13 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hope they beat the snot out of each other and Blues are sore like we are.

Take all the little bits of help we can get. Expect more rotations this week. Hypen in. Brown to stay if Riv is no good. Blitz might get another go - he's doing good.

Too early to call

Go Catters

Likely that SJ comes in and probably for ........ good question. Maybe Smedts, but he was very good against the Hawks and would be very unlucky. Caddy could be unlucky.

Rivers for Brown if ready.

How is Murdoch traveling, I imagine coaches are very keen to get him in if available.

I would actually be inclined to role the dice and drop Blicvas playing only West in ruck. I just don't think we can keep playing Blicvas, he is just not ready for AFL football, and he needs time in the two's to understand structures and to get confidence in decision making. I just really fear that he will cost us in some big games and that's definitely not a knock its just he is still extremely raw and just needs to be developed properly.

In terms of shutting the Smalls at Carlton down, I wouldn't worry too much about Garlett, Enright to Walker and as for Eddie Betts.....will he even be playing? Hampson will be back and he does take marks in forward 50, kicking not great, but he creates plenty of contests. Imagine we will still play all three of Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers.

Carlton have been good at the 70m out - 40m out short pass against us. This was what Hawthorn was doing last week when they were on top of us. It is this aspect of the game we need to be careful about - dare I say our midfield may need to be more accountable to put pressure on delivery and force the long bombs in.

Carlton have been good at the 70m out - 40m out short pass against us. This was what Hawthorn was doing last week when they were on top of us. It is this aspect of the game we need to be careful about - dare I say our midfield may need to be more accountable to put pressure on delivery and force the long bombs in.

And quicker to plug that hole when the zone is being pushed back.

The type of game we usually loose! :eek: Well we used to anyway. :)

GHS for Brown. We won't need too much height up forward this week, and an extra clearance player is needed.

Smedts as sub.

Rivers to rest again. SJ not ready yet.

We need to shut down Garlett and Yarran.

Their ruck stocks look strong as well. Blitz will really need to run, run, run, and wear them out if he can.

Any chance Guthrie is fit? Would like him in for Gartlett or Yarran, presumably Betts is still injured?

We should win this. 6 day break irrelevant because they are also off a 6 day break and had a more physical game than us.

Johnson back would be good but may rest him for the week after.

Kruezer is the main danger.

Hopefully Rivers is back, we missed him yesterday.

What worries me about Carlton is the battle in the centre. Kruezer is going to kill us as West is way down on form and Blitzy battles manfully but he is not a great tap ruckman yet. If Carlton kill us in the centre clearances and we end up 30+ points down at Half Time again I'm not confident we can pull off another miracle. Carlton have experienced players and they will prepare themselves for a comeback by us.

Geelong need to bring the intensity from the start, not from half time. Our zone was spread too wide IMO in the first half and that allowed them to short pass through it with ease. North also didn't bomb the ball into their forward line but lowered their eyes to the 30-40m mark for leads and loose players. This is how Hawthorn got on top of us too. We cannot let this become the way to beat Geelong.

Our small men will continue to be the key to our success but god what I'd give for a competitive ruckman in the team at the moment.

I would like to see is with a consistent running +1 in the D50, then back our run on the rebound. That seemed to be the game-plan in the NAB. Seemed to go alright.

Any chance Guthrie is fit? Would like him in for Gartlett or Yarran, presumably Betts is still injured?

Last I heard he was very close to a return. From what I remember, it sounded like he definitely would have played in the VFL on the weekend. So whether they still want to give him a game in the VFL before returning, I guess we'll wait and see.

Smedts would be an obvious one in the firing line, but really, it's almost impossible to know until we know the casualties (if any) from the weekend. It would also be interesting to know whether Murdoch is a good chance to be ok for this week (VFL or AFL), as he could be handy. I think Smedts could also fill a role on Saturday as a negating forward, taking the job on Scotland. At this stage, I'd suggest Rivers, GHS and Murdoch/Guthrie added to make a squad of 25.

The ruck is a concern as in the previous week, but especially so against Carlton. They absolutely annihilated us in there last time. Still, Collingwood beat them yesterday with just Quintin Lynch after quarter time, so it's not all doom and gloom. It will be interesting to see if they go big against us, by bringing Hampson straight back in, or promoting Warnock, who was solid in the VFL.

Likely that SJ comes in and probably for ........ good question. Maybe Smedts, but he was very good against the Hawks and would be very unlucky. Caddy could be unlucky.

Rivers for Brown if ready.

How is Murdoch traveling, I imagine coaches are very keen to get him in if available.

I would actually be inclined to role the dice and drop Blicvas playing only West in ruck. I just don't think we can keep playing Blicvas, he is just not ready for AFL football, and he needs time in the two's to understand structures and to get confidence in decision making. I just really fear that he will cost us in some big games and that's definitely not a knock its just he is still extremely raw and just needs to be developed properly.

In terms of shutting the Smalls at Carlton down, I wouldn't worry too much about Garlett, Enright to Walker and as for Eddie Betts.....will he even be playing? Hampson will be back and he does take marks in forward 50, kicking not great, but he creates plenty of contests. Imagine we will still play all three of Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers.
West looks severely underdone. Kreuzer will destroy him if he has to go it alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blicavs should play a defensive ruck role on Kruezer. West is really struggling so I would use Blicavs predominantly.
I guess we may have to play the two rucks, as West is struggling a little. However if West could demonstrate that he could run a game out it is in my opinion a better option to drop Blicvas. Am devestated Walker is injured as he would have been perfect as a defensive player on Kruezer.

Carltons clearance strength is solid, will really need to address this. Can't wait to get Hmac in the side!

The ruck is a concern as in the previous week, but especially so against Carlton. They absolutely annihilated us in there last time. Still, Collingwood beat them yesterday with just Quintin Lynch after quarter time, so it's not all doom and gloom.

please tell me your kidding?
Lynch may have won the hit-outs (didn't check the stats) but I watched the game and Kreuzer completely dominated him and was able to impact the game in the final 10 mins, although Collingwood ran away with it but he's in career-best form and will push for All-Australian this year, share the concerns of most in here but what West and Blicavs have which most others do not is exceptional aerobic capacity but still a big worry against Kreuzer.

please tell me your kidding?
Lynch may have won the hit-outs (didn't check the stats) but I watched the game and Kreuzer completely dominated him and was able to impact the game in the final 10 mins, although Collingwood ran away with it but he's in career-best form and will push for All-Australian this year, share the concerns of most in here but what West and Blicavs have which most others do not is exceptional aerobic capacity but still a big worry against Kreuzer.

Collingwood beat Carlton. I didn't mean Lynch beat the Carlton rucks. I've barely watched any of the game, but as soon as I heard Jolly had been subbed off, I thought they were done. My point is, we're not going to be as undermanned in the ruck as Collingwood was yesterday and they were still able to take home the four points.

Seems like MC is using Sub spot as a rotation place. Could we see Smedts there this week?

He's definitely a chance. It really could be anyone, besides our rucks, KPPs and Selwood. Realistically, you probably add Kelly, Chapman, Bartel and Mackie to that group, but I wouldn't be shocked to see someone like Duncan or Christensen get the vest, as an example.

Early guess at the changes for next week...

In: Johnson (if fit, otherwise Horlin-Smith)
Out: Brown (omitted)

Doubt we'll need a 3rd tall defender against Carlton, since they usually go with just the two tall forwards. Will probably need an extra runner/midfielder though.

Would probably go for Smedts as the sub too. His pace and extra height across half forward late in the game could be hard for them to match up on.
Not sure about the tall forwards being a problem, I'm more worried about our ability to cover the likes of Walker, Garlett, Betts if he is back.
Think we need to bring in Guthrie and Murdoch if they are healthy as well just to help provide that cover down back

Any chance Bundy could go a week with not getting laid out?
I was about to post the same thing.
Bundy, Smedts and Mack have all copped some pretty decent hits over the last 2 weeks.
Would not be surprised to see any of them miss with the general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back