Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
GWS Giants v

Essendon
Round 6 1:45 PM May 04, 2013
There is no doubting that the bombers are the form team at the moment and its hard not to think that unless
the World Anti Doping Authority step in and call off the game it won't be anything other then a major beat down on us.
And obviously the challenge for us is to run out the game and get closer to giving a full 4 qtr effort.
On the plus side of the weekend it was good to see that Palmer is starting to find a bit of form this year​
especially as it was looking like a few of the kids were going to overtake him. We also saw the
debut of Zach Williams which showed some promise and of course Devon Smith really stepped up​
after serving his suspension. Once again I would expect a number of changes and the word is that​
Bruce has been the stand out among the tall defenders for a few weeks so would think he will come​
close to getting a call up to the senior side.​

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...owards-winning-gws-recall-20130427-2im6o.html

Teams:

GWS
B: A.Kennedy T.Mohr J.Bruce
HB: A.Corr S.Gilham T.Greene
C: T.Scully C.Ward J.Townsend
HF: R.Palmer J.Cameron A.Tomlinson
F: D.Smith S.Frost T.Adams
Foll:J.Giles D.Shiel A.Treloar
I/C: S.Coniglio C.Hampton S.Reid Z.Williams
Emg: T.Bugg T.Downie S.Edwards
In: S.Gilham, C.Hampton, J.Bruce, T.Adams, J.Townsend, S.Frost, A.Corr
Out: B.Thornton, S.O'hAilpin (calf), P.Davis (back), T.Bugg, L.Whitfield (soreness), L.Plowman, N.Haynes

ESSENDON
B: K.Hardingham C.Hooker B.Goddard
HB: M.Hibberd T.Pears C.Dempsey
C: M.Baguley J.Watson D.Zaharakis
HF: J.Merrett S.Crameri J.Melksham
F: A.Davey S.Gumbleton B.Stanton
Foll: T.Bellchambers N.Kommer B.Howlett
I/C: Jake Melksham, David Myers, David Hille, Heath Hocking
Emg: E.Kavanagh N.Lovett-Murray N.O'Brien
In: L.Jetta, T.Pears, J.Melksham , N.Kommer
Out: J.Winderlich (rested), T.Colyer, D.Heppell (groin), J.Carlisle (ankle)

I hope we play some ugly football in this game and concentrate on choking the game up, if the bombers get the amount of space we have given others they will put 200 on us. We have not shown we can slow down a game and choke it up at any point yet, personally I would like to see it though i am probably in the minority. We are not going to win this game so lets use it to learn some skills we desperately need against a really quality team. It will help us when games that we are in (like the last two) later in the season look like getting away. IMO

Hope its not messy.

Dont really like seeing the hidings that come with the new sides taking on form established sides.

Might be a tough year for GWS to finish Sheedys coaching career. Tough it out, learn heaps and I think next year will be an exciting year for GWS under new coach Cameron

The ladder leaders... Coming off a 9 day break after playing on Anzac Day...

We really can't allow Thornton to be stuck in a matchup with a proper tall like he was with Dixon for too long against the Suns. It seems there's a good chance Essendon bring in Daniher, and along with Gumbleton plus Bellchambers spending some time forward we're going to need some height back there.

Bring a kid guys. Check out the Essendon website. One adult ticket gets 4 free kids in.

Good luck guys. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your kids close up ... hopefully our match committee pays you guys the same favor by giving you a look at Daniher!

Didn't we cop all sorts of s#*t last year for giving away free tickets to kids? Last week it Hawthorn, this week Essendon. Absolute disgrace to the game. That's what was said about us before. Five will get you ten everyone is fine with Essendon giving away tickets, but if we try it again this year, we'll cop it from all directions.

Didn't we cop all sorts of s#*t last year for giving away free tickets to kids? Last week it Hawthorn, this week Essendon. Absolute disgrace to the game. That's what was said about us before. Five will get you ten everyone is fine with Essendon giving away tickets, but if we try it again this year, we'll cop it from all directions.

Who gave it to you? For a team trying to develop in a growing market it would be the perfect strategy. Ignore the idiots dude!!

Getting as many kids to the games as possible and providing as much incentive as possible to get them involved in Auskick. The kids that are 8-10 years old now, will be 13-15 when all these concessions you guys got come together. With the base you guys have you should be challenging for 5 year and these kids will be hooked for life!! Then so will their children, and so on.

Also regards Essendon, it is four kids tickets with one adult ticket. Each child ticket is $2.50 and an adult ticket is $30. It's no big loss. Also if the game is a one sided affair the kids don't mind so much. They like seeing goals kicked and would actually prefer a game with less atmosphere so that mum or dad will pay them more attention!!

Who gave it to you? For a team trying to develop in a growing market it would be the perfect strategy. Ignore the idiots dude!!

Towards the end of last year the club was giving out a lot of free tickets to Skoda games to get people in for a taste. I reckon that resulted in a bit of the membership bump we saw this year, but there were quite a few write-ups whinging about "inflated crowd numbers", etc, at the time. Just the usual general media stupidity we have to put up with up here.

The ladder leaders... Coming off a 9 day break after playing on Anzac Day...

We really can't allow Thornton to be stuck in a matchup with a proper tall like he was with Dixon for too long against the Suns.

It was odd that we had him down back especially as he made the following comments just prior to being selected to play the suns:

But he admitted he would prefer to play in the attacking 50 in the twilight years of his career.
''The last couple of years at Carlton I was playing up forward, I probably enjoy playing up there more these days,'' Thornton said.
''I don't have the pace I used to, and I can read the ball a bit better.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/out-of-the-blue-giant-thornton-bags-eight-20130421-2i8sx.html#ixzz2RpXMk0ZD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, I've got you guys bringing Gilham in for Tomlinson, with Thornton going forward, any chance of that happening?
Don't know who will miss (could be Tomlinson, maybe Haynes) but I think Gilham in and Thornton forward are likely changes. At least I hope so. Haha

This game was horrible last year. It was also horrible in the NAB cup. Not exactly counting down the seconds 'till the opening bounce on this one.

We don't have many talls... but now that both Davis and Setanta are out, our predicted thrashing can only get worse.

Just have to hope some of the blokes in the NEAFL get a chance to get some game time and hopefully bag some experience.

We don't have many talls... but now that both Davis and Setanta are out, our predicted thrashing can only get worse.

Just have to hope some of the blokes in the NEAFL get a chance to get some game time and hopefully bag some experience.

And Davis is actually out for 6 weeks.

But would now think Bruce is a straight in for Davis, and Thornton to moved to the fwd line and Frost to come in where he will play in def but also help out in the ruck.

Big blow to lose those two for this game and Davis beyond that. Bruce's form in the NEAFL has been good by all reports so this is his chance.

Thornton to go forward and Frost to also come in, you'd think.

First proper chance I'll get to see GWS. Yet to really have a close look (only seen the odd half or quarter when I've had the chance).

We may as well hand out a thumping before you guys will be handing out the thumpings on a weekly basis in years to come ;)

Big blow to lose those two for this game and Davis beyond that. Bruce's form in the NEAFL has been good by all reports so this is his chance.

Thornton to go forward and Frost to also come in, you'd think.

I hope so. Thornton kicked 8 in the NEAFL, was dully called up and then spent the entire game in defence :confused: You would think he has to go forward. I like Bruce for Davis, but that's because I like Bruce. Frost as 2nd Ruck which he handled well in the preseason.

Don't really think many parents would want their children looking up to Essendon at the moment. The fact tickets were still available for Anzac day tells you something about attendance, you must have a lot of very disappointed supporters, I would be shattered if they were my team. Imagine how Sheedy is feeling this week on one hand very saddened to see EFC being brought to it's knees and then on the other really pissed that he is going to get smashed by a team that appears to have an unfair advantage.

Why don't you save that for the Essendon board... or do you need to take your pot shots in the side alleys of other teams' boards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back