AFL Premiership Round 7
Essendon V Geelong
Geelong-logo-2008.gif
--------- V ---------
Essendon-logo-1997.gif
________________________________________________________​
Friday May 10​
Etihad Stadium 7:50 PM (Local Time)​

So here we go footy fans. 1st v 2nd in front of 90,000 plus screaming fans at the football mecca known to the masses as the “G”.

Hang on. Make that a little over half of that crowd at the Dome. Nothing like playing a home game against the Bombers at their home ground. No matter where it is, this will be an absoulyte cracker with the winning side to be handed the Oysters Kilpatrick trophy.

images

At the selection table - Much like a cheap brothel, there’ll be plenty of ins and outs at the Essendon selection table on Thursday night. Hurley, Ryder, Carlisle, Fletch, Winderlich and Heppell are all possibilities to come in while Hille is off to Paris on annual leave. Stanton is the only doubt for the red and black.

Geelong had most of their AFL listed players playing in the VFL put their hands up for an AFL call up with another dominant display. The cats will however wait on the fitness of Chappy with Caddy ready to step up if the angry bald man doesn’t get up. Murder may be the unlucky bloke to miss after being subbed off without having too much impact.

History – The cats have a handy record against the Dons winning 8 of the past 10. In saying that in comparison with a lot of other clubs recent records against the cats, the Bombers have come out pretty well. The last few went a little like this:

2012 Round 17 – The Tommahawk snagged 5 majors in Geelongs 67 point demolition in front of 50,000 at the same venue. Mitch Duncan had it on a string for the cats as the Bombers continued the downward spiral at the end of last year.

2011 Round 15 – A 4 point win for the Bombers against a fast finishing Cats was a massive achievement. Missing a lot of their better players, including Watson, the likes of Heppell, Melksham, Howlett and Stanton ran riot with Monfries snagging 3 majors.

2010 Round 12 – 71 points separated the 2 sides, meeting for the second time of the season. Varcoe and Pods both booted 5 majors while Ablett, Kelly and Bartel suffered from leather poisoning, racking up stats at will.

2010 Round 1 – Down by 6 points at 3 qtr time, the cats came home with an 8 goal last qtr to run out 31 point winners. Ablett had a lazy 37 touches with Mooney and Byrnes snagging 3 a piece. Stanton tried hard with 33 possies, but the forward line of Neagle, Gumby and Williams failed to fire. Hard to wonder why….

2009 Round 10 – Geelong amassed 433 possessions in a 64 point win. SJ snagged 6 and Moons kicked 4 while Selwood racked up 37 touches.

2008 Round 2 – After a demolition job on the Kangers in round 1, premiership winning coach Matty Knights :D had his Bombers in form and looking for a fight. 2 hours later, they we’re trying to find out what hit them. 14 goal kickers and 462 possessions led to a 99 point demolition and a return to Earth for the Bombers.

images

The blokes that matter –
Ryder was spoken about in some circles as possible trade bait. In the mould of Jarrod Brennon, he can look like a match winner one minute but then go missing for the rest of the game, frustrating Bomber fans to no end. His form to date in 2013 has made those fans eat humble pie with the big fella being a dominant force until being forced to have a few weeks off for a bump that looked to have a little less force that Lindsay Thomas’s the week before. But hey, that’s the MRP, they always keep us guessing!

Bundy Christensen put in a performance last week that should have turned a few heads. 28 disposals, 3 goals and half a dozen clearances speaks volumes but when 18 of his 28 possessions were contested, there’s some hard work being done by the little bloke. The Geelong faithful just take it as another step up for Bundy who will pull together more of these types of matches in years to come.

Zaharakas is no longer just the hardest name in AFL footy to spell. The ANZAC day hero from a few years back has fought his way through a variety of injuries and is stepping up into the upper echelon of midfielders. Very similar to Dayne Beams rise of 2012, Zucker is a key component in Essondon’s ever improving midfield.

The Big H is the AFL’s Mr Versitile. Despite being an early tip for the All Australian CHB, Harry Taylor has stepped up to pose an offensive threat up forward helping himself to 9 goals so far this year with the vision to float forward more often when the opportunity beckons. However with Rivers out injured for Balmey’s obligatory 1-2 weeks, H will need to take up a key defensive post on one of the Bomber talls. 49 marks for the season just shows how good his hands are.

Jobe One is one of the blokes that is just about untaggable. Strong as an OX, hard at it with no fuss he’s changed from an inbetween type player with no set position that Sheeds was looking to off load and transformed himself into one of the best mids in the comp. Many a year ago his kicking made opposition teams happy but through sheer hard work (not peptides) it’s become a strength of his game. Much like our beloved captain, Jobe leads his chargers from the front and leaves nothing out of the field. Except for a bit of blue Powerade!

Matty Stokes is another that has taken his game to the next level. Racking up possessions at will, his ball use through the middle of the ground has been second to none. A much improved fitness base has resulted in him spending more time in the midfield. Occasionally the whipping boy for some strange reason, a large serving of humble pie is being dished up by the number 27.

Jake Carlisle has been a giant killer this year so expect him to line up on the Hawk. Has great positioning and reach, learning from one of the best in Fletch. After all, Fletch only has another 4 or 5 years left in him. Carlisle is well and truly in the running to be the All Australian full back if he continues on with his current form.

A lot has been said about doctors, drugs and the results of both. I count my blessings every day that the Collingwood and Essendon doctors were clearly taking mind numbing drugs when they looked at the X Rays and decided that Stevie J’s ankles wouldn’t hold up to the riggors of AFL footy at the end of 2006. In the 6 and a bit seasons since, he’s played 133 games and snagged 278 goals as well as pinch hitting in the midfield. For those attending the match, take note of his field kicking. There has never before been a player that creative by foot. He virtually instructs his team mates where to run by dropping the ball in the right spot. Sure there’s still room fo the snaps and look away handballs but SJ is clearly more than a half forward with great goal sense.

Verdict – The Bombers have been up against it in the media again this week but just continue to churn out some seriously good football. Take last weeks game with a grain of salt as there was always going to be a bit of a let down after ANZAC day. Most games against the Giants are going to be fairly anti climatic. Another big week, a lot of focus, this is a massive test for the Bombers.

As for the Cats you would take a 4-2 start at this point, given a tough draw, but the boys have just done enough to get the chocolates in all 6 games. Without a massive impact on the scoreboard from Hawk, Pods or Stevie J so far this season, the kids (or kittens) have stepped up big time with goals coming from all and sundry. Some have said Hawkins looks a little heavier, I for one don't see it. Once the big blokes start dominating, watch out!

images

The midfield battle will be telling with the Cats forced to once again try and shark the oppositions hitouts. Expect some silver service from Ryder as he did before his holiday so the pressure will be on to create errors in the guts. Geelong has been able to wear their opponents down in the latter stages of the games so far and started to win some clearances. With neither side putting up terribly good numbers in that department, first use of the ball will go a long way. Taylor Hunt’s assignment (Stanton if he comes up, otherwise Zucker or Heppell) will be interesting to watch and I’d expect to see the hyphen go to Watson considering his job on Kennedy up at the SCG a few weeks back.

In the end though I thing the cats will have too much run and too many options for the Bombers to contain. They certainly are playing well enough but if both are at the top of their game, the Cats are still too good. Geelong by 21.

If only this could be moved to the MCG...

/flogging a dead horse

I haven't been this excited for a game in a while, to be honest. I watched Geelong last night- very, very impressive after halfway through the second quarter. If our intensity is anything like it was against GWS, you'll smash us. I hope we learn to pin-point our way into the fifty more, the kick it and hope rubbish of yesterday would play right into your rebounding game.

My tip is Geelong by three goals. Best of luck, fellas. Have so much respect for your club and I always look forward to our games, even though you've knocked us senseless countless times over the past eight or so years.

Doss will Essendon play a precision kicking style game?

I would personally hope so. With Rivers out we might be able to stretch your defence with height. But, as I said, bombing it in won't work if we fail to take the grab.

Who do you guys think Taylor and Lonergan would respectively take? I guess it remains to be seen whether Gumbleton will play, considering Hurley and Ryder will be back and Crameri is already there.

Murdoch out is an obvious one.

If Chappy is fit then he is the obvious inclusion. Other candidates for inclusion would be Caddy, Kersten and possibly Vardy though I would think they will give him at least one or two more in the VFL. Blicavs has battled manfully this year but if they think he is due for a spell then they make bring their decision forward.

Murdoch out is an obvious one.

If Chappy is fit then he is the obvious inclusion. Other candidates for inclusion would be Caddy, Kersten and possibly Vardy though I would think they will give him at least one or two more in the VFL. Blicavs has battled manfully this year but if they think he is due for a spell then they make bring their decision forward.

They were talking about Vardy on K-Rock last night, and while Scott has said he'd probably be in the VFL for a month before he gets elevated, the VFL side has the bye this week because of a state game against the WAFL, so the break mightn't be beneficial for him. His form yesterday certainly warrants a promotion, but I don't know who you would drop for him to come in.

Caddy and Chappy in, maybe Vardy if they want to give him a run.
No idea for outs though.
I have a weird feeling about this game, I reckon the bombers will be a bit flat and the Cats are going to be fired up to face a challenger and give them a bit of a bath. I tipped the 49+ margin.

If only this could be moved to the MCG...

Isn't the Dome your home venue? Its an anomaly that Geelong has played so many big HOME games over this period against the other top teams @ their home ground.

The sooner the AFL buy this house of pain - (on ankles) the better. It would help out the boutique clubs in Melb and also remove the criteria of having to play ex number of games - on top of a car park.

But thats a time in the future , and for now bar some unseen act of God or Man , the game will be held at what one was Dockland , and is now Dockbland. The planning permissions for the monstrosity it has become should be investigated.

On the game - Is there any doubt that Ess and Geelong will be playing finals? The only doubt would be what will they do to Ess after the broom sweeps away the supplements issue . Bar that. they will be there. Which means we may play them. Maybe even the first week ( And that will be at the G ). So tactically , do we just play to win or do we keep something up our sleeves. Watching Vardy in the VFL , i wished had played 4 or 5 games already. He was something out the box. If Cameron worried them in the GWS game , then trying to handle Hawk,Pods and Vardy would be a Nightmare on Elm St ( or should I say Wurundjeri Way)

Docklands is indeed our home ground, Turbocat. Unfortunately. I'm not a fan of the place and never have been. My comment about the 'G was simply so that a better crowd could attend- if this was at the MCG it'd be getting 70k+.

Docklands is indeed our home ground, Turbocat. Unfortunately. I'm not a fan of the place and never have been. My comment about the 'G was simply so that a better crowd could attend- if this was at the MCG it'd be getting 70k+.

I agree , and why a Geelong home game was scheduled V Ess there is a little confounding? Surely our average crowds at the G would be 60 ish , and when both clubs are on , closer 75. Why we , after playing several years in finals have to play 3 game there and only one home game at the G V Hawks..... just mindbending. The G is vacant , it should have been scheduled there. It will not be moved.

Reminds me of the time the AFL in their infinite wisdom scheduled a Carlton-Collingwood game at Optus Oval in the late 90's or early 2000's. Just robbing themselves of extra revenue by preventing 20-30,000 extra people walking through the turnstiles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of the time the AFL in their infinite wisdom scheduled a Carlton-Collingwood game at Optus Oval in the late 90's or early 2000's. Just robbing themselves of extra revenue by preventing 20-30,000 extra people walking through the turnstiles.

You ever go to a game there? Shocking ground to get to!

You ever go to a game there? Shocking ground to get to!

Yeah, went to a game there once and got drenched sitting in the outer. Abomination of a ground.

Remember looking it up in the Melways and noticing it's nestled between the zoo and a cemetary. Says it all really.

Yeah, went to a game there once and got drenched sitting in the outer. Abomination of a ground.

Remember looking it up in the Melways and noticing it's nestled between the zoo and a cemetary. Says it all really.

Funnily enough that was the kind of bloos supporters that turned up, zombies and animals.
I remember I went to a game there when I was young (say 12 or so) and the Cats won, I gave this group of bloos supporters an absolute BAKE in the carpark, thinking back if I was 5 years or more older they probably would have kicked the s**t outta me :p

They were talking about Vardy on K-Rock last night, and while Scott has said he'd probably be in the VFL for a month before he gets elevated, the VFL side has the bye this week because of a state game against the WAFL, so the break mightn't be beneficial for him. His form yesterday certainly warrants a promotion, but I don't know who you would drop for him to come in.

If Vardy does come in then it's to give Blicavs a spell. I just don't know enough about Vardy's hip condition to know whether he is able to spend anytime rucking and whether the harder surface at Etihad could cause issues for him.

If Vardy does come in then it's to give Blicavs a spell. I just don't know enough about Vardy's hip condition to know whether he is able to spend anytime rucking and whether the harder surface at Etihad could cause issues for him.

The thing is he hasn't spent any time in the ruck thus far in the VFL. Would be a big ask for him to come back and ruck against a combination of Hille, Ryder and Bellchambers.

I can see us making only one change this week - In: Chapman Out: Murdoch and giving Horlin-Smith a full game while handing Smedts the green vest.

The thing is he hasn't spent any time in the ruck thus far in the VFL. Would be a big ask for him to come back and ruck against a combination of Hille, Ryder and Bellchambers.

I agree hence my "rider". I tend think they will be conservative and manage him very carefully. Though if he keeps kicking 6 a game in the VFL then he is breaking down the door :p

Cant see Vardy coming in. An advantage we have of this perfect start is the ability to rest/manage players properly. Give him an intense training session over the weekend and build up his workload properly. If all good after another couple weeks then bring him in

They may consider vardy in with pods down back.not that i like it but if hurley is back the dons really have the height to stretch us,and i dont see brown being picked,so we may have to cover it another way.

They may consider vardy in with pods down back.not that i like it but if hurley is back the dons really have the height to stretch us,and i dont see brown being picked,so we may have to cover it another way.

Sooner or later I think this is the way in. Pods is the player to give our backs coverage , we are thin atm with Rivers out. If someone else happens to get sore its rather weakening.
Another option is Hawkins out? Is he really right? He looked rather - "stay at home" last night.

And no matter what , Vardy must be an in at some stage. The way he gets up to the ball is very rare , but its more than that. When he is right he can lead mark and kick or he can leap and grab. He has hands like few players. (Matty Richardson / Nick Riewoldt) but with Vardy when he shoots at goal he seems a very good set shot.

Loved going there. True suburban ground. Had its own character and you were close to the action no matter where you were. Really annoyed they've moved the VFL Grand Finals away from there, the 2002 and 2007 flags were great to watch in those surroundings.

I can see us making only one change this week - In: Chapman Out: Murdoch and giving Horlin-Smith a full game while handing Smedts the green vest.

Bullseye. Can't see anyone else getting demoted (or promoted), and they'll be rotating the sub again. Horlin-Smith has to get full games.

If Cameron worried them in the GWS game , then trying to handle Hawk,Pods and Vardy would be a Nightmare on Elm St ( or should I say Wurundjeri Way)

We didn't have Carlise or Fletch, who will both come in for this game.
To be honest I am more worried about Stokes, Motlop and Christensen than I am Tomahawk and Jpod.
Be interesting to see where Bartel goes this game, think he might even go forward to take Hibberd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back