Preview AFL Round 7 - Geelong v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 10 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

to state the blindingly obvious we need to attack this game the way we played Sydney - on song from the start of the game, not some point after the opposition has opened up a lead.

Hawkins stepping up would berather handy .... :rolleyes:
Some half decent delivery and less stupid over use of the footy by players already in plenty of space would be even more handy. Hawkins is going just fine.

I disagree.

The sub needs to be an impact player. Size can be determined secondary to the impact that player can have on the opposition. Against a more contested side (Sydney) play a more contested player. Against a taller side (Essendon) put a player like Vardy on a tiring Carlisle in the 4th. It might work, it might not.

Risk vs reward I guess.

Interesting thought but unfortunately this game comes a bit early for Vards, I want to se Hawkins use his weight and strength on Carlisle cause that's where I think he's vulnerable.
The Vardy option would be great, lets hope he kicks another six in the magoos and remains injury free.

Got to agree Sim Dog, it's painful to watch.

When buying lunch today, I was chatting with a Swans fan at the café, about the Richmond -v- Geelong game, which he attended, when a few Swans training staff came in and joined our AFL talk. After identifying my Cats allegiance, one trainer implied this week's game would be a cake walk for us, which surprised me! Then ensued some jokes about the bombers and their 'juice', another surprise to me lol. They could well have been jollying me along, but another said he thinks the Cats are still regarded as a benchmark for other teams and that they owe us one for the Rd 4 game. I think we're pretty much even there, remember our 2011 game at the SCG. Swans play Dawks this round, so I asked them to give them an extra flogging because I despise them. They promised to oblige ;)

For those of us with longer memories than a few games , Id say we owe them a last second goal in a final to eliminate them. :cool:

Generally Id say Geelong and Sydney respect each other. Nether have been to the bottom to refresh their list.If Melb isn't the imprimatur on "tanking" then I haven't seen one.

For those of us with longer memories than a few games , Id say we owe them a last second goal in a final to eliminate them. :cool:

Generally Id say Geelong and Sydney respect each other. Nether have been to the bottom to refresh their list.If Melb isn't the imprimatur on "tanking" then I haven't seen one.

I'd say you are quite right there TC lol I was at that game with my Swans loving Mum and although she was thrilled for her Swans, she was devastated for me, only something a mother would feel ;) And yes, we've managed our succession planning fantastically!

The Swans would be my second team. Its a style and integrity you rarely see elsewere. Yes I still have nightmares about Nick Davis, but hey, who doesn't.
Melbourne and the like can play all the games they want but it is about culture in the end.
Baby, we got that in spades:cool:

I disagree.

The sub needs to be an impact player. Size can be determined secondary to the impact that player can have on the opposition. Against a more contested side (Sydney) play a more contested player. Against a taller side (Essendon) put a player like Vardy on a tiring Carlisle in the 4th. It might work, it might not.

Risk vs reward I guess.

Yep. I guess though, with so many more midfielders these days, and so much running they do, they are so much more likely to get injured - and leave you a runner down. Really can't afford to not have a fresh midfielder coming off the bench.

It seems that Scott is very precisely managing who is the sub and ensuring it gets shared around, we've had Horlin-Smith twice, Caddy twice, Stokes once and Taylor Hunt once (I think). All relatively young, and all midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is probably going to be the toughest game for us this year.

Just hoping we can play like we did against Collingwood - show desperation and urgency and win 1v1s. Very good ins for us this week and we will be bringing a better side into this game than we were against the scum. Tipping Essendon because of blind faith but Geelong will probably win by around 3 goals.

I'd agree, apart from the first half Saturday. He barely moved.

Well that's another point on this issue of poor delivery into the forwards, I've got to agree with you there!

The amount of passes that went high was ridiculous, we can't afford to give the tall bomber defenders the
"arm chair ride", if we do we'll lose this one.

This is probably going to be the toughest game for us this year.

Just hoping we can play like we did against Collingwood - show desperation and urgency

Unfortunately, unless Geelong play like Collingwood did against you, that's probably not going to be enough to win. I'm just not sure Essendon's lineup has the pure skill to beat Geelong on a good day, even if they play at their absolute best.

I tipped Geelong by 3-4 goals but sneaking suspicion says that it's *Essendon's to lose.

It could well prove to be game of the year this one. Pity it's at Etihad as it more than deserves the MCG. AFL back to the stone ages - go back some years and didn't the AFL move games to the MCG if the crowd was going to warrant it? Seems like this one should have been. Disgrace.

Good luck Cats, will be supporting you for my girlfriend's mother.

When I line uo the teams, we look better. When I look at the form, we look better. Bombers maybe have been playing 'better', more consistent football, but they have played average teams and good teams playing ordinary footy. Whereas we are playing quite well and still getting the job done against good teams playing good footy. Geelong by 4 goals +.

I'd agree, apart from the first half Saturday. He barely moved.

I agree with that. Normally if he isn't getting a kick he moves up the ground looking for the ball. He didn't move anywhere in the first half. I was wondering if he did strain his back playing golf the previous week.

Yep. I guess though, with so many more midfielders these days, and so much running they do, they are so much more likely to get injured - and leave you a runner down. Really can't afford to not have a fresh midfielder coming off the bench.

It seems that Scott is very precisely managing who is the sub and ensuring it gets shared around, we've had Horlin-Smith twice, Caddy twice, Stokes once and Taylor Hunt once (I think). All relatively young, and all midfielders.

I have tried to find the stats on "Number of games started as sub" for any player, bit more time consuming then I first thought as it is not listed on most player profiles. I will keep looking but I think from memory there has been a few start as sub since its introduction. Aside from Nic Nat I can't think of a genuine ruck start however I believe there has been a few third talls start eg Tyson Goldsack, Sam Reid

The introduction of throw ups around the ground and ruck separation has opened the door for more athletic big men. If they are good below their knees and have elite endurance/speed they could be used tactically as a sub.

I think in the next two years we will possibly see Blitz , Walker, Vardy or even Pods start as sub at some stage.

I have tried to find the stats on "Number of games started as sub" for any player, bit more time consuming then I first thought as it is not listed on most player profiles. I will keep looking but I think from memory there has been a few start as sub since its introduction. Aside from Nic Nat I can't think of a genuine ruck start however I believe there has been a few third talls start eg Tyson Goldsack, Sam Reid

The introduction of throw ups around the ground and ruck separation has opened the door for more athletic big men. If they are good below their knees and have elite endurance/speed they could be used tactically as a sub.

I think in the next two years we will possibly see Blitz , Walker, Vardy or even Pods start as sub at some stage.

Problem with starting Blicavs as sub now would be the fact we only have one other available ruck (West), leaving just him on the ground to do the ruckwork if you started West as sub. Can't begin the game with just one ruck.

Otherwise when we have McIntosh and/or Walker available I agree. Blicavs especially tends to do his best work later on in games when opponents are tiring, so would be an ideal fit for that athletic/endurance type who can start as sub and then wear down opposing players with superior fitness when brought on.

BTW decided to look for those stats too and couldn't find them anywhere, not even on AFL Tables. You'd think they'd be lurking around somewhere.

The problem with this game is Essendons ability to score quickly.

On the whole I expect us to win by 8 goals or so.
When they hit their straps on Anzac day their class just didnt look good enough.

But, we keep giving sides patches in the game where we let them score.
Someone like a Richmond might kick 2 goals during that patch, but the Bombers could kick 4 or 5.

I'd hate to see us give them that patch early and be down 5 goals. It's my only small concern.

The problem with this game is Essendons ability to score quickly.

On the whole I expect us to win by 8 goals or so.
When they hit their straps on Anzac day their class just didnt look good enough.

But, we keep giving sides patches in the game where we let them score.
Someone like a Richmond might kick 2 goals during that patch, but the Bombers could kick 4 or 5.

I'd hate to see us give them that patch early and be down 5 goals. It's my only small concern.
Also must make better of our own opportunities. If we were as sharp as against the Swans we would have had six goals in the first quarter against the Tigers they were giving us loads of space early but we were stuffing it up nearly every time with amateurish mistakes and general overuse of the footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back