Preview AFL Round 8 - Collingwood v Geelong, MCG, 7:40PM Saturday 18 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On form we should beat the Pies - but remember we have a heap of injuries to cover and it is possible with half the team under 60 games - some of the youngsters may not be consistent. So nothing is assured.

Hopefully Corey and Chappy back as that adds some experience.

THunt out and I fear Kelly will go.

So those two for Chappy and Kelly. Not sure that Schroder will keep his possie but given injuries and suspensions he may do so.

Would probably prefer Caddie to come in for Schroder.

If Kelly dodges the bullet, Schroder would be the logical omission for Corey or Chapman.
But he did enough this week to maintain his spot ahead of Caddy. Nothing has changed since that decision was made last week after they played together in the 2nds.

The challengers keep on presenting, and Collingwood are as legitimate as any; they managed to knock us off the past two times we played them.

The club has taken some impressive scalps in the first 7 rounds, most of us are probably still processing just how good a win the Essendon clash was given that we fielded a relatively inexperienced side.

But the clash with the Pies will further test the teams resolve, resources and mettle.

Collingwood's dropped their game against Freo, but Freo at Pattersons Stadium under Ross Lyon is going to be a real challenge for all teams this season, us included - Collingwood is a proud club and will be up for this game, they want to keep up with the big boys.

we'll miss Taylor Hunt, he would have been handy for either Swan or Pendlebury or even Sidebottom, wishing Poodle a speedy recovery because I have really enjoyed watching him play this season.

I think we have the spread of talent to beat Collingwood, despite losing Hunt and in all probability Jame Kelly too.

The availability of Paul Chapman and Joel Corey will obviously be a talking point throughout the week.
No as far fetched as it sounds we have them at home.

Schroder stays in and Hyphen goes out ??? Will not happen. GFC really see Hyphen as a player and want games for him. Hyphen is a strong bodied mid who needs another 20-30 games so he can start to develop into the player GFC see him as.
My mistake, I overlooked Shroeder.:oops:

Yep Shroeder makes way.

If Kelly dodges the bullet, Schroder would be the logical omission for Corey or Chapman.
But he did enough this week to maintain his spot ahead of Caddy. Nothing has changed since that decision was made last week after they played together in the 2nds.

Its just that GFC rate Caddy - otherwise they would never have traded for him what they did. Given that GFC need to get games into him and back their judgement - especially while there are so many injuries exist and give him opportunities. Fair enough to reward Schroder or any player if form in VFL demands it.

images

In: Corey, Chapman (if fit)
Out: Poodle (inj), Schroder (not on form, would just unfortunately have to make way for JC if he's in the selection frame).

I think the Shroder will be spared due to the suspension of Kelly.
Kel is not Buddy. He won't get away with it.

I've been saying that all season to my boss (one eye confident Pies supporter) and he reckons they'll be OK.

I begged to differ. They look terribly slow, but most sides do when they're either losing or playing ordinary football.

With the influx of pace into our side, this is the one area I think we can expose them in, although the loss of Hunt and Varcoe isn't positive.

We move the ball too swiftly for the Pies to present too much danger, and I think with their backline troubles and our inside 50 differentials, we can expose them down back, even if we again lose in the centre.

I think Chappy and Corey will return to the team to offset the loss of Hunt somewhat, and Motlop becomes the X Factor in the contest once again. I shouldn't think Kelly will be in much trouble, (not much in it) and they do have their problems with Shaw from what I've been told, although I didn't see the incident.

I wouldn't take their form lightly, although I have a feeling we'll win by a fairly big margin without sounding too cocky.

Dare I say Pies look like us in 2010. A little slower but skilled. They have some decent smaller types playing through but need to get more games into them. Just saying I know how that feels....

Now if they could just lose their best player to an expansion side.....

Still, will be bloody hard game and they will be up for it. Pies hate losing.... especially to us and after their fade outs of late im sure they will want to prove a point....

Big game...

Ball and Dids back perhaps short on match fitness could hurt them...

GO Catters

Collingwood will be treating this as do or die for their top 4 chances so we should be expecting them at their best.

Beams killed us last year so I'm glad he won't be around next week. Ball probably needs another week in the VFL. Lynch seemed to injure his leg in the dying minutes of the game last night and would be a big loss for them - he's their back up key forward and ruck.

Based purely on form we should win but that doesn't count for anything once the game starts. A win would likely see us move to 11-0 with three very winnable games to follow.

Any word on the availability of Chapman and Corey?

Oh good, another poster who conflates his/her opinion with facts, you're gonna fit right in here!:D

Torin has been a member since "Today" and has amassed 4 posts Fred.
Has yet to learn the ropes.

ur pretty fast MD but I finally got ya...

Hypen out would be a surprise.

I couldn't see a surprise out like Jimmy or Stokes or something for a rotation yet. CS indicated that if a younger player makes it into the 22 and performs ( which I will take CS saying they looked at home out there that they did) then maybe Chappy for Poodle and Smithy for Kel if he goes.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should give up on trying to predict the team because there is always somebody "rotated" that you havent heard mentioned in despatches all week. e.g. Corey this week, Hawkins last week. But i will have a go anyway.

In : Chapman Corey Caddy
Out : Kelly (certain to get 2 weeks) T Hunt Christensen (my tip to have a rest)

I wasn't having a go at him/her, I was joking about what I thought was his/her joke.
So please don't take it the wrong way Torin :D
And is it him or her, by the way?

The avatar had me thinking Torin may be a young lady.

Edit: Torin seems to be a boys name:

Torin \t(o)-rin\ as a boy's name is pronounced TOR-en. It is of Gaelic origin, and the meaning of Torin is "chief". Contemporary use of Torin and its variants probably are based on Torrance and Dorian.

Read more at http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Torin#TtVGRJipCidMCCgw.99

Torin may want to introduce himself in the introductions thread here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...uce-yourself-here.990820/page-6#post-28132215

The avatar had me thinking Torin may be a young lady.

Edit: Torin seems to be a boys name:

Torin \t(o)-rin\ as a boy's name is pronounced TOR-en. It is of Gaelic origin, and the meaning of Torin is "chief". Contemporary use of Torin and its variants probably are based on Torrance and Dorian.

Read more at http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Torin#TtVGRJipCidMCCgw.99

Torin may want to introduce himself in the introductions thread here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...uce-yourself-here.990820/page-6#post-28132215

Yes, it was the avatar that made me ask, but no doubt he/she will let us know.

I think we should win this but I'm never that confident about playing the Pies. Is Chapman definitely back this week?

Going to be a good day on Saturday. Our VFL side play their VFL side in the afternoon, and the seniors play that night.

Guess we'll see who has the most depth this week. My gut feeling says we'll win both games comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back