Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it as
IN Chappy , Corey and Kersten
OUT Kelly , Hunt and Schroder ( stiff but just like George in R1 its balance and Hawk needs a hand atm)

Chappy would just about eating trees and spitting tooth picks atm. He will want in.

Corey , was it just a Dome management issue? If not he stays out but whats important is that he is right for later in the year. Still important. I love the way we are blending the new midfield with the old head in the backline. Corey and Bartel down back. Very steady players that know when to lift.
Still I would not be overly worried if Schroder stays in and Corey has another week off.

Kersten , is probably subjective. In a way Id like him in before Corey. Its just a matter of another forward option for the side. We were too bomby at time against Ess. Kersten will add another leadup target.

The pressure is on West a bit again. Doing a reasonable job but every week the talent in the two's is getting fitter. He needs to do more around the ground or other will push in to the side past him.

Hope Thurlow stays in and gets a big game feel at the G. the first of many , I hope.

I like those ins and to be brutally honest, I don't think Shredder did enough to hold his spot.

Be terrific if the coach does give him another crack though because 1 game isn't enough to find your feet so be interesting to see what happens.
We are playing the pies.....midfielders are imperative and were the game will be won or lost. If we go down Hunt and Kelly, I would say Schroeder will keep his spot.

Reading this thread i feel most of you are wary of the pies. Personally, i think they are ripe for the picking. They are reminding me of us last season; A few key injuries, some youngsters not performing consistently, and overall just nothing is working. We keep hearing we will have so and so back in a few weeks and 'she'll be right' but that is what we were saying last season. It is too hard to play catch up footy.
Their defensive structure has been figured out. Although Reid and Shaw have been servicable this season, it has been the others who have been caught out. O'Brien has struggled against anyone who shuts down his run. We can let Reid hold Hawk to 5 kicks but how will they stop Motlop, Smedts, Stokes, Christensen, Stevie J and Schroeder, who are all sky high on confidence.
Even in the midfield, they have reminded me of us last season. Pendlebury, Swan and Sidebottom work very hard but the rest of the team expect them to carry the load. Similar with Sel last seaosn.
Cats by 55

Reading this thread i feel most of you are wary of the pies. Personally, i think they are ripe for the picking. They are reminding me of us last season; A few key injuries, some youngsters not performing consistently, and overall just nothing is working. We keep hearing we will have so and so back in a few weeks and 'she'll be right' but that is what we were saying last season. It is too hard to play catch up footy.
Their defensive structure has been figured out. Although Reid and Shaw have been servicable this season, it has been the others who have been caught out. O'Brien has struggled against anyone who shuts down his run. We can let Reid hold Hawk to 5 kicks but how will they stop Motlop, Smedts, Stokes, Christensen, Stevie J and Schroeder, who are all sky high on confidence.
Even in the midfield, they have reminded me of us last season. Pendlebury, Swan and Sidebottom work very hard but the rest of the team expect them to carry the load. Similar with Sel last seaosn.
Cats by 55
The thing is mate I actually believe that our defenders have been good this year, it's just that our mids and forwards don't work hard enough both ways which allows the opposition time and space to pick out a target inside 50. We always have numbers forward of the contest and are outnumbered around the stoppages with barely anyone on the defensive side. All Geelong have to do is exploit our unwillingness to chase, tackle and spread from the stoppages which will put our defenders under pressure.

It's very likely that we will get flogged next round.

I never feel confident against the Pies. Probably because they had our measure for a year or two, a little while back.
Every odd year we have their measure and win a flag as well, I've noticed.
Every even year they damage us.

07, we beat them twice, Premiers.
09, they were largely irrelevant and self destructed. Premiers
11, we beat them 3x, Premiers.

08, they smashed us
10, they beat us 2x when it counted
12, they beat us 2x again.

13, would have to predict we win.

BUT

naturally, I'm worried.
T Hunt is a critical quick, damaging run - with player, quite unique, and hard to replace. Maybe
Guthrie. Maybe Stringer eventually.
Kelly is a very key part of our midfield that nobody is yet able to replace. Hoping that is irrelevant this week.
Pies will be hounded and confidence-wounded this week. Buckley will be toxic this week.
8 in a row is a tough ask in this supposed even competition.
Their mids will be on attack this week. Can't see Pendles and Swan and Sidebottom and Thomas having < average games 2 weeks in a row.
Their home game, hope OUR fans turn up.

Actually I have been watching, and not just listening or reading, and he's played across half-back, but not always as a dedicated HBF (same as Bartel), and not exclusively there anyway - as for instance when he took Kennedy v Sydney.
If he's fit I woulf be extremely surprised if he didn't play this week v Collingwood, especially with Kelly and Hunt out, or even just Hunt.

Hang on, didn't Horlin-Smith play on Kennedy against Sydney? Seemed to be running alongside him for a good chunk of the night.

Wouldn't mind if Schroder stays and has another crack but I reckon Caddy should play soon, he had a great game in the VFL, but unfortunately had a bye because of the State game this week.
This should play to Schroders advantage, but they might go with a more experienced player after the loss of Taylor H and the experience of the Collingwood midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on, didn't Horlin-Smith play on Kennedy against Sydney? Seemed to be running alongside him for a good chunk of the night.

Corey definitely took him for at least the whole of the first quarter, but I didn't watch the replay after that, and it was certainly said at the time that Horlin-Smith ran with him, so they presumably swapped at 1/4 time or some time after that.

Kelly will go....

But it was worth it. :thumbsu:

Caddy will probably return for the GWS and GC games...maybe the Port game...one more run and show a bit of form in the VFL, and he'll be back.

Thurlow will stay....what a great experience for him to play in front of 80,000 at the "G"...gee, he looked all right...

What seems to be the Pies achilles heal at the moment is that they can't handle fast small forwards and they are relying to much on too few to keep them in games. Part of the problem is the personnel they have and the injuries they have but I think we are also seeing the natural progression of certain Pie players who are getting slower due to age.

I hope Chappy is back this week but am doubtful about Corey.

Obviously T Hunt (inj) and Kelly (suspended) will go out. Will they play Thurlow & Schroder again or will one be dropped?

Ins from: Caddy, Chappy, Corey??, Murdoch, J Hunt, Walker, Vardy (as an outside chance),

Pardon the intrusion -

respect you blokes like no other in the competition, incredible last 6 years.

An amazing ability to continually produce players that can play roles, are team orientated and are predictable too each other, really astonishing. Much admired personally

We have had some massive battles in recent times, personally i believe our rivalry is one of the current biggest in the AFL.

Think we will be in trouble next week, something not right with us atm, very concerning.

With that in mind we seem to play well against the cats, but still im of the opinion you'll do us in.

anyway, as per any pies v geelong game the build up will be massive, good luck to you guys. Heres hoping its a corker!

In: Burbury Caddy

Out: Kelly Hunt

Anyone else doing the double-header? Was going to be at Flemington but happy to see us do the daily double over this lot. :)

Been a while since I've seen Victoria Park, to think we could have had our own version of the stripped-back de-commissioned suburban ground not so long ago..

In: Burbury Caddy

Out: Kelly Hunt

Anyone else doing the double-header? Was going to be at Flemington but happy to see us do the daily double over this lot. :)

Been a while since I've seen Victoria Park, to think we could have had our own version of the stripped-back de-commissioned suburban ground not so long ago..

I am thinking of going. But at the moment my head cold is conspiring against me and is spreading to the throat and chest.

AB's here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back