Retired Daniel Merrett (2002-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

I just saw the replay and it looks like a strong tackle which caused damage to Hurley and forced him from the game. I think Dan will have a rest after this one.

I don't think Justin Clarke will get a week for it at all. He hit him side on, granted it was late but it didn't cause any major damage to Kav. 90 odd carry over point and a reprimand for an inexperienced player.

I hope.

He's getting couple for this , might help him to get his head rite for the
rest of the season
He's a leader and needs to have control , just hasn't been toeing the line

He's getting couple for this , might help him to get his head rite for the
rest of the season
He's a leader and needs to have control , just hasn't been toeing the line

Sauce won't get rubbed out this week. He tackled the guy with intent, but backed off and let go before he hit the ground.

History says the MRP are heavily influenced by the extent of the injury, particularly when it comes to sling tackles. And the AFL is very nervous about concussion. I predict three weeks reduced to two.

I saw Merrett bob up forward (just before half time) and was hoping that they might give him a bit more of a go there with Essendon down a tall forward. It is one of the benefits of Staker's inclusion that we are not locked into a single structure with our talls.

I predict three weeks reduced to two.

... from memory he might also have some carry over points from a Riewoldt clash last year. Not sure about good/bad records.

Daniel Merrett, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with a level three engaging in rough conduct offence (325 demerit points, three-match sanction) for engaging in rough conduct against Michael Hurley, Essendon, during the first quarter of the Round Eight match between the Brisbane Lions and Essendon, played at Etihad Stadium on Saturday May 18, 2013.

In summary, due to his previous poor record, his three-match sanction must remain at three matches, even with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Essendon Football Club, the incident was assessed as negligent conduct (one point), high impact (three points) and high contact (two points). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a level three offence, drawing 325 demerit points and a three-match sanction. He has an existing bad record of 93.75 demerit points carried over from within the last 12 months, increasing the penalty to 418.75 points and a four-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 314.06 points and a three-match sanction.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-20/mrp-statement-round-eight

Very disappointing lapse in judgement from Merrett is a major personal and team setback.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett and Clarke to miss
May 21, 2013
Sam Lord

The Brisbane Lions will be without key defenders Daniel Merrett and Justin Clarke when they face Carlton this Saturday night, after both accepted sanctions handed down by the AFL Match Review Panel on Monday.

Merrett will miss the next three matches after being suspended for a tackle on Essendon’s Michael Hurley, while Clarke accepted a one-week ban his late bump on Elliott Kavanagh.

Merrett was charged with a level three engaging in rough conduct offence (325 demerit points, three-match sanction) for engaging in rough conduct. In summary, due to his previous poor record, his three-match sanction must remain at three matches, even with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Essendon Football Club, the incident was assessed as negligent conduct (one point), high impact (three points) and high contact (two points). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a level three offence, drawing 325 demerit points and a three-match sanction. He has an existing bad record of 93.75 demerit points carried over from within the last 12 months, increasing the penalty to 418.75 points and a four-match sanction.

An early plea reduced the sanction by 25 per cent to 314.06 points and a three-match sanction.

The full-back will now miss the Lions' upcoming matches against Carlton (Round 9), Collingwood (Round 10) and Fremantle (Round 12).
Merrett_NAB-hero.jpg

Still pretty disappointed with Merrett's selfish act and as others have said, such an incident has been on the cards for weeks. He has really let down the team and Vossy for 3 crucial games that we could ill afford to lose any of our senior players. It was obvious Merrett was intent on hurting Hurley. He was actually quite fortunate that he didn't sling Hurley onto the hard astro-turf in which he case he would have had a longer holiday.

Still pretty disappointed with Merrett's selfish act and as others have said, such an incident has been on the cards for weeks. He has really let down the team and Vossy for 3 crucial games that we could ill afford to lose any of our senior players. It was obvious Merrett was intent on hurting Hurley. He was actually quite fortunate that he didn't sling Hurley onto the hard astro-turf in which he case he would have had a longer holiday.
Does the number in your name indicate your age Dylan? If that's the case I can forgive and understand your comment. If you're an adult and have seen our glory years team you would appreciate, it is the type of football we played on Saturday that won us three Premierships.
I say from here on this type of game should be our minimum benchmark. Bring it on, more of this and Voss can have a ten year contract extension and I'll be happy. Loved Merrett, loved Clarke's hit, loved Redden's hardness, loved Golby's tackling, Loved Yeo's speed of foot and mind.

Does the number in your name indicate your age Dylan?

Sure is; 12 when I joined BF, but I'm now 17.

If you're an adult and have seen our glory years team you would appreciate, it is the type of football we played on Saturday that won us three Premierships.
I say from here on this type of game should be our minimum benchmark. Bring it on, more of this and Voss can have a ten year contract extension and I'll be happy. Loved Merrett, loved Clarke's hit, loved Redden's hardness, loved Golby's tackling, Loved Yeo's speed of foot and mind.

I had no problem with how we played against Essendon or how hard we played throughout our premiership era. I do however take issue with Merrett's overt aggression in the incident involving Hurley and I stand by my original comment.

The laws of the game have significantly changed since the premiership era, not to mention players are accountable for their actions on the field. Merrett knows that. I'd also disagree if you were to suggest that Merrett has not been on the angry pills for a few weeks now and it has only been a matter of time before something was to give. Merrett is a leader and due to him not being able to control his aggression, we have now lost his services for a month and worse off without him. I cannot accept that. There was just no need to bury Hurley in the manner Merrett did and as a club we are now worse off because of it.

Mate, Merrett's aggression made Essendon hear footsteps all night and lifted his teammates to go harder for the duration of the game. The lead kept changing but we kept coming back. History tells us that by about the third lead change previously we would have laid down and meekly surrendered. If you're now 17 it is time you realized that if you want your team to show character and aggression, acts like Merrett's and Clarke's should be the norm. Otherwise I'm afraid you have to accept efforts like the Bulldogs and Kangaroo games without complaints.

if you want your team to show character and aggression, acts like Merrett's and Clarke's should be the norm. Otherwise I'm afraid you have to accept efforts like the Bulldogs and Kangaroo games without complaints.

Of course I want us to show aggression, but controlled aggression and as a respected poster irel, I'm sure you appreciate the difference. IMO, I thought Merrett went over the line, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.:thumbsu:

Lost all semblance of defensive cohesion without the big red head in that first quarter.
Absolutely.Ok so he may have helped us win the Essendon game ,but doesnt help being out for 3 weeks.
Sorry Rog, not happy.

His over zealousness and the consequences have robed us of a vital player at an inappropriate time.
I imagine he would be hurting as much as us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back