January 2014 Transfer Window

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
1 month to go until the mid-season transfer window opens.

Where does your club need to strengthen? Who are your club looking at? Who would you like them to look at?

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
A new striker but Jose might be happy with what he has for the time being but will probably look to offload Ba. A quality DM would seriously boost our title chances, Van Ginkel injury was a big blow, and should be priority as it would allow Rambo and even Frank to play their more natural game. I'm not expecting a lot of business tbh but a couple more CAM's wouldn't hurt ;). More worried about losing players like Mata, Luiz and De Bruyne.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
In my opinion Liverpool will be looking at another attacking midfielder/winger, a defensive midfielder, and with Enrique's knee injury keeping him out for 3 months a full back probably wouldn't go astray.

Fabrizio Romano (understudy of Gianluca Di Marzio at Sky Italy, Romano was the first to break the Sakho to Liverpool story) believes we are looking to sign one of Nemanja Matic, Fernando Reges or Yann M'Vila to provide competition for Lucas and Gerrard, and that M'Vila in particular is very keen on the idea of moving to Liverpool (he was photographed in the away end at the Merseyside derby on the weekend and went down to the changerooms with Sakho after the game to meet the team). Barcelona's Sergi Roberto has also been mentioned.

In terms of attacking midfielders/wingers, our search continues after making unsuccessful £25-30m bids for Mkhitaryan and Willian towards the end of the summer. The names we have been most persistently linked to over the last few months have been Javier Pastore, Yehven Konoplyanka, Stephan El Shaarawy & Xherdan Shaqiri. Any one of them would be fantastic additions to our midfield.

Will Hughes' name has been mentioned as a future prospect but from the sounds of things we're happy to leave him at Derby for the time being to continue his development. However, that may change if other clubs show interest in him. We're also among a number of clubs monitoring Kostas Mitroglou (22 goals in 18 games this season) but he seems more likely as a potential replacement for Suarez in the summer.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
i reckon liverpool should make a real crack at montoya. or another top club a bit short on the right. johnson can be, inconsistent i guess, and montoya's a quality defender and could be available really cheap.

Yeah his name has been mentioned by 1 or 2 people, I think we need backup/competition for Johnson & Enrique regardless of what happens given how often those 2 are missing games through injury these days.

We look impotent in attack whenever we're missing those 2 because Flanagan & Cissokho don't have enough quality on the ball and Kelly is taking far too long to recover and reach his pre-injury form. Based on that a quality young fullback or 2 who can match their offensive contribution should definitely be in our sights. The fact that Johnson can comfortably play LB as well means that Montoya could be an option, meanwhile I think every man and his dog wants to sign Luke Shaw but there's no real reason for him to leave Southampton for the foreseeable future.

Sheeds

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Everton
Everton are in desperate need of a striker, possibly 2. They will look to get whatever they can for offloading Jelavic. Obviously Lukaku is gone at the end of the season and Kone is out for the rest of the season injured.

In theory there should be plenty of cash to spend from the Fellaini money. A lot will also depend if Baines stays. If he is off then we will need to bring in some more cover there. As usual Everton will be linked with a lot of players and bring in minimal reinforcements. Apparently we will offer Barry a permanent deal for the following season so not sure how much he will be wanting in terms of wages.

Aiden McGeady is one name we are constantly being linked with and tentative links with Will Hughes,Leon Andreasen, Nabil Bahoui amongst others but I guess it will be a wait and see approach.

Newcastle first order of business - sign Remy!

Getting linked to quite a few players (namely strikers and attackers) - Ince, Long, Gomis, Ola Toivonen and Luuk De Jong. If Colo were to leave, we'd need to bring a CB in as cover/provide competition.

In terms of departures, Colocinni has again said he would like to return to Argentina but respects the club's position (in that they won't sell unless they can get adequate compensation). Krul has been linked to a few clubs looking for keepers (Atletico Madrid, Juve and Arsenal apparently) but can't see him leaving personally. Cabaye has thankfully settled down and seems content again - if he has a big WC, he might be able to generate a move but can't see him moving in January.

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Think we still need a high energy defensive midfielder, M'Vila but not being a s**t bloke would do, bring the French back to Anfield

Lucas needs desperate help next to him, Gerrard needs to be given free licence to do his amazing things without having to worry about defensive duties

The best midfield pairing we've had in the past couple of seasons post Rafa is still Lucas and Spearing, Spearing goodness sake

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Apparently we are in for Falcao again.....which is obviously BS.

LB is an area we are looking to strengthen with Sevillas Moreno and Wolfsburgs Ricardo Rodriguez of interest, but by the looks of things Jose likes Azpi there and he is well on the way of making that spot his. Not looking good for Bertrand.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Luiz sold to Barca, with Kalas to pick up his slack. Bit of talk about Mangala.

Bit of talk about Mata being loaned to AM(Juventus and PSG keen to buy), which is sad but understandable. Can't see him being a Chelsea player next season. Piazon to return at seasons end and will be Oscars understudy.

We need another CM with Van Ginkel out for the season and Matic and Imbula have been rumoured. Maybe Chalobah will be recalled.

We don't need to buy a striker with Lukaku rejoining at the end of the season.

Unsure about KDB apparently he's happy to hang around and fight for a spot, would love to see him tried as a CM.

For Man Utd since our midfield is non-existant we need at least 2 mids, a holding one such as Matic and a more attacking mid such as Gundogan(extremely unlikely i know) Rakitic or Herrera.

You can have Obertan back for newcastle lad Carrick - straight swap? We'll even throw Joe Kinnear in as a sweetener - will provide good pregame and half time comedy routines for the fans :p

Apparently we are in for Falcao again.....which is obviously BS.

LB is an area we are looking to strengthen with Sevillas Moreno and Wolfsburgs Ricardo Rodriguez of interest, but by the looks of things Jose likes Azpi there and he is well on the way of making that spot his. Not looking good for Bertrand.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Luiz sold to Barca, with Kalas to pick up his slack. Bit of talk about Mangala.

Bit of talk about Mata being loaned to AM(Juventus and PSG keen to buy), which is sad but understandable. Can't see him being a Chelsea player next season. Piazon to return at seasons end and will be Oscars understudy.

We need another CM with Van Ginkel out for the season and Matic and Imbula have been rumoured. Maybe Chalobah will be recalled.

We don't need to buy a striker with Lukaku rejoining at the end of the season.

Unsure about KDB apparently he's happy to hang around and fight for a spot, would love to see him tried as a CM.

Just on the LB situation, that jogged my memory - saw an article I think last week suggesting Mourinho might try and bring Santon in (given they worked together at Inter). Not sure there's much in that.

What happened to Van Ainholt? Was a pretty handy young LB back in the day - wanted to sign him after his loan with us in the championship but nothing materialised.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
What happened to Van Ainholt? Was a pretty handy young LB back in the day - wanted to sign him after his loan with us in the championship but nothing materialised.

PVA was close to being kept on, but in the end went back to Vitesse(apparently been in decent form there). He'd be another option for Jose and Emenalo to think about.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
30-35m is whats being rumoured. Apparently he's keen on Barca(if we wanted to sell) and they're keen on him.

I think you guys would be the last team Jose would want to strengthen.

30-35 mil would be what, the 2nd most expensive defender of all time? don't think so at that price. doesn't fit what barca are after either.

can't really be strengthening if he wants to get rid now can it ;)

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
30-35 mil would be what, the 2nd most expensive defender of all time? don't think so at that price. doesn't fit what barca are after either.

can't really be strengthening if he wants to get rid now can it ;)

Yeah I can't see it either, just saying what was being rumoured. Barca are keen though, so he must fit what they want.

Don't get me wrong Luiz is world class on his day, I just don't think Jose has faith in him to do it in games that aren't 'big'.

Back