Food/Supplements Protein Powders

Remove this Banner Ad

Update with the BN WPI - been taking it for a while and my skin has cleared up a lot. No, I haven't changed my diet what so ever at all so it wouldn't be that. Quite strange how its happened but I'm very pleased with how its going.

Would be interested in people's thoughts on Max's Supershred protien.. looking for a powder that is low carb.

lysp

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Why are you after low-carb? Standard WPC is fine for 99% of cases.

It should have about 5g carbs per 100g which is more than a serving.

Only reason i'd switch to a WPI for low-carb is where you are on a keto diet and require < 20g carbs per day. Otherwise using standard WPC will have bugger all difference.

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Sorry, just had to add something to your post. I wouldn't ever add bcaa to a protein powder ever.

Reason is, protein powder is a combination of (from memory) about 17 amino acids.

BCAA is basically taking protein powder, extracting 4 of those 17 amino acids out through a manufacturing process and keeping those as a separate powder.

The 4 aminos in bcaa make up a quarter of the weight of protein in protein powder. So 100g of any protein powder will always contain 25g of bcaa by default.

Companies use this lack of knowledge about them to market their products as being better than others, when they didn't actually do anything. It's like selling coffee and putting on the side "contains 90% natural water".

People think because bcaa cost so much that having protein powder with them added in, they are getting better value, but the cost of bcaa is actually in removing/extracting it rather than the ingredient itself.

This is why 99% of people never need bcaa if they are getting adequate protein from either food or powders.

I guess it is handy for people like me who can't consume protein powders - due to issues with whey.

lysp

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Have you tried some non-whey based proteins?

Place i get all mine from offers alternate proteins in form of egg, pea, rice + soy.

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/vie...ements-in-australia-by-bulk-nutrients/Protein

From what i've read, they have a slightly different texture/mixability and may not taste as good - but they are a reasonable alternative.

I can't eat eggs (intolerant), I won't eat anything soy based (estrogen) and pea protein isn't worth the price - same with rice proteins.

I'm just going to have to stick with meats!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you just need to give up on consuming, everything seems to give you one issue or another.

It's very frustrating believe me! My diet is pretty simple now and revolves around white rice, salmon, red meats, chicken, vegetables and olive oil! That being said I'd rather eat like this than feel like crap eating anything that might set me off with brain fog etc.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

KarolisMak

Draftee
Jan 28, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Hey i am pretty new at using sport supplements, but my friend offered me to try quite new brand "Fitness Authority" i tried (check it out), it's pretty good, but i have not much experience in this field :D all I know is that, these products aren't cheap... But it's a good deal during sales.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Is there a good FAQ about powders on the internet somewhere? Have gotten back to training hard in the gym and am recovering very slowly. Still managed to get 3 sessions in last week though, and diet is good (plenty of vegetables, fish, beef, chicken ect.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back