Draft whispers, rumours & scuttlebut

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree...a once in a generation KPD is as hard to find as a KPF. Schache isn't that good. Weitering is..

Take best available this year and when we finish last next year draft/buy best available KPF. Quite simple really..

Thats a Big Big Call

How much better than Rance,Scarlett can he be ?

Is he going to be better than say SOS & Langford

There are no guarantees that he will be that once in a 'generation' player you talk off

FYI it's a long time since we have seen a standout player like Wietering, universally agreed by pretty much all clubs and recruiters.

He looks excellent, but he's a blazing standout because his group of peers is not as good as the peers of other number 1's & 2's of most other draft years.

It has been said many times, this is not a good draft year.

He's a combination of Matthew Scarlet, Luke McPharlin, Ben Rutten and Darren Glass, with the rebounding skills of Harry Taylor and Michael Johnson. He discovered a cure for cancer at six years old and is believed to be the latest incarnation of the Buddha.

If you said Dalai Lama I would have believed you.

Looking at one of the AFL.com videos

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-11-12/weirdest-recruiter-questions

A fair few of those lads should have worked harder at their school lessons, Matthew Kennedy sounds a roo short in the old top paddock

Thats a Big Big Call

There are no guarantees that he will be that once in a 'generation' player you talk off
Not really.
There are no guarantees with any draftee, Weitering is just viewed as being the closest thing to a sure thing, regardless of position.

Thats a Big Big Call

Ahhh The Gun! You've finally popped your head up after our last 'discussion'. Welcome back.
Agreed. It's a big call. As I replied to other people who jumped down my throat - the experts have suggested this due to his maturity, skills, determination and leadership traits. After years of not much from my footy team, this is my hope with our no.1 pick; none of us have crystal balls and nothing is guaranteed. The context it was given was in response to a poster saying we take Schache before Weitering, which I strongly disagree with.

As for putting Rance's name in with SOS and Scarlett - that's plain stretching it..

never know... we are still waiting for the trade system to change after the foot state clubs are routing the go home factor arent we
Pretty sure the Lions have just landed a marquee player and another solid player in the last two offseasons due to the 'go home factor'. It's not just the Lions who have issues with this, despite what you and other Lions supporters keep saying.

Pretty sure the Lions have just landed a marquee player and another solid player in the last two offseason a due to the 'go home factor'. It's not just the Lions who have issues with this, despite what you and other Lions supporters keep saying.

And paid appropriately for both... my comment was aimed at the targeting of top pick players with pissy 2nd round picks as soon as 2 years after their draft. Which is fine as that is what the system allows... still needs fixing. But it is funny how after years of battling home sickness/footy state dreams and starting to lose the battle with self-entitled rookies, the Academies are set up to stem the flow... And it is a problem?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh The Gun! You've finally popped your head up after our last 'discussion'. Welcome back.
Agreed. It's a big call. As I replied to other people who jumped down my throat - the experts have suggested this due to his maturity, skills, determination and leadership traits. After years of not much from my footy team, this is my hope with our no.1 pick; none of us have crystal balls and nothing is guaranteed. The context it was given was in response to a poster saying we take Schache before Weitering, which I strongly disagree with.

As for putting Rance's name in with SOS and Scarlett - that's plain stretching it..

Alex Rance is well and truly deserved amongst SOS & Scarlett
at 26 years of age and dual AA and has comprehensively been the best FB last 2 years - Yes Alex is amongst them

"Ahhh The Gun! You've finally popped your head up after our last 'discussion'. Welcome back."

WTF !!! Mate i have never left or gone anywhere and to make your point even more stupid, I have been posting on the Carlton board every day for the last 3 weeks and even participated in your phantom draft - Ive been here bur maybe after copping such a hiding in our last discussion you have not recovered and gone into denial
I LOVE THE DRAKE HaHaHAHA

I don't think rance is as good as sos or Scarlett (yet but still has time on his side) but he is in that bracket. Same as players like P. Roos, B. Lake, C. Cornes, etc....

So I don't think he is stretching it.

Last edited:
And paid appropriately for both... my comment was aimed at the targeting of top pick players with pissy 2nd round picks as soon as 2 years after their draft. Which is fine as that is what the system allows... still needs fixing. But it is funny how after years of battling home sickness/footy state dreams and starting to lose the battle with self-entitled rookies, the Academies are set up to stem the flow... And it is a problem?
It's lucky that Collingwood hasn't had a top 10 pick walk out after two years for a pissy second rou.....

Oh wait...

Wietering will be a good talent, but if you're going in expecting Scarlett or Silvagni you're going to be disappointed. He is far now likely to end up like a Luke Mcpharlin, which would be a great result. Athletic, competitive CHB who will lock down the position for 15 years.

I think that's the problem with supporters and drafts. The no.1 pick is usually the consensus best player of his generation at 18, but things change between 18 and 25 and there are 15-20 generations of players running around at any one time. So if you get a top 20 in the comp player from a pick 1 it's an absolute fluke.

Getting an all time great? You're looking at a 100-1 bet.

Thats a Big Big Call

Have to agree.. "once in a generation" is a big call and if it fell that way would be simply magnificent for the CFC. However, if not, I'd be extremely happy with a 200+ game CHB that we could build a strong defensive unit around for the next decade..

Knocking Weitering after Hurley and Talia were a lock for Carlton. I've heard it all after we were also supposed to draft Watson and Jaksch because they were tall. Even Bombers fans would have laughed if we passed on Day or Lynch for Heppell.

Weitering is competitive, a leader and an alround athlete who stands 195 cms who is still 17. Saints just traded pick five for a six year KPP who celebrated on Snapchat, yet had a similar "phone it in year" like Yarran and Henderson. Poor Carlton. :)

Weitering is the next Rance if he gets belted in the 2022 finals by a flaky veteran like Waite....

Talia, Taylor and the injury prone Ben Reid have shown more than Rance.

Rubbish. Rance has scarlett covered as a one on one defender and sos covered as a rebounder. Dont forget sos was allowed to arm chop and wrestle. Rance is a champion no two ways about it

It's lucky that Collingwood hasn't had a top 10 pick walk out after two years for a pissy second rou.....

Oh wait...

fair enough... your top 10 didnt play a game and has serious injury concerns long term. And you may be a little behind in the pressure of "go home" compared to a club like the Lions. If you cant understand how and why the academies were set up then I dont know what to say

fair enough... your top 10 didnt play a game and has serious injury concerns long term. And you may be a little behind in the pressure of "go home" compared to a club like the Lions. If you cant understand how and why the academies were set up then I dont know what to say
I understand perfectly, but it doesn't mean I agree with it. Whilst the concept is great, at the end of the day the academies provide northern clubs with serious competitive advantages that southern clubs can't emulate. It's like going from one extreme to the opposite.

I actually agree that northern clubs need help, but I don't agree with this solution.

I understand perfectly, but it doesn't mean I agree with it. Whilst the concept is great, at the end of the day the academies provide northern clubs with serious competitive advantages that southern clubs can't emulate. It's like going from one extreme to the opposite.

I actually agree that northern clubs need help, but I don't agree with this solution.

I recognize your concerns of teh advantage... but like I said, clubs have taken advantage of the Lions for years and got 1st round talent on the cheap. Lions are coming from a long way back before such advantage works for us.

One thing people don't realize is that in the era of talent dilution across the league per-academies we should see more Footy State talent stay in those states... Im sure you footy state clubs will survive.

Aish walking out to the Pies (instead of going home) shows that the pies will be fine ;)

Seems to be a current thing with Tigers fans massively over-rating their players. WTF, Rance as good as SOS? Picked at full back in the all-time team? Twice B and F, could swing forward and kick goals as well? Two premierships? Silvagni played in an era of the best full-forwards the game has ever seen and is still acclaimed as the best FB in the games history. If Rance has a third of a SOS career he will be the best full back of this era. Someone must be mailing out a baggie of cannabis sativa for every post in the BF Tigers forum, and it must be very potent.

And this after all the Vickery rubbish in Knightmare's thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back