bunsen burner

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 12, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
sneaky c***heads.

It used to last for minutes. Now you get it for 30 seconds. The probem?

When you go to set your watch you usually stop it with the second hand at 12. You ring up and wait for it to go "at the third stroke the time will be 11.54 preceisely". But if you ring up and it says "at the third stroke the time will be 11.54 and 10 seconds beeep beep beep", then it will cut out before it gets to where you need to be. So then you have to make another call - actually you have to keep calling until you get it so it passes the minute.

Dodgy money making sham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bunsen burner

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 12, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I am just curious as to why anyone needs the EXACT time, anything within 5 mins or so is fine by me. :confused:
Because to some people, like me, time and time keeping is important.

More to the point:

When you have a clock/watch that is slow, it's not usually a case of it being consistently 5 minutes behind, but it getting more and more behind over time. So you set a clock today using 1194, then 6 months later it is 2 minutes behind, 1 year later it is 5 mins behind etc.

This is a problem for people like me. I don't like looking at my watch and not being sure how far behind it is. Some things are okay to be late to or thereabouts but somethings it's important to be punctual. That's why I always wear a quality watch that doesn't slow down.

nokiacasio

Team Captain
Dec 17, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you run Windows it is easy to synchronise the toolbar time with the atomic clock time.

It is possible to get watches that automatically synchronise their time to an atomic clock. An example are the Casio Waveceptors.

celtic_pride

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 12, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
B.Celtics, FC Barcelona, Leeds Utd
What the hell is this deal with atomic clocks anyway ?
The Doc Who TVM in 1996 (with Paul Mcgann) was complete and utter bollocks, but it deals with such a silly concept such as Berylium Atomic clocks and stuff, very kinda weird and confusing ...

It's always good to be on time and on schedule (not only for work purposes, but just as a courtesy, If I'm running late for some appointment, I always phone ahead and explain) but if you get obsessed of being right on time, on the dot, within a paramater of say 30 secs or stuff, that is bloody sad and pedantic IMHO>

raikkonen

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 7, 2006
VB's Gun Club
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Redbacks, CDFC
Because to some people, like me, time and time keeping is important.

More to the point:

When you have a clock/watch that is slow, it's not usually a case of it being consistently 5 minutes behind, but it getting more and more behind over time. So you set a clock today using 1194, then 6 months later it is 2 minutes behind, 1 year later it is 5 mins behind etc.

This is a problem for people like me. I don't like looking at my watch and not being sure how far behind it is. Some things are okay to be late to or thereabouts but somethings it's important to be punctual. That's why I always wear a quality watch that doesn't slow down.

So change it every few months - its not THAT hard.

nokiacasio

Team Captain
Dec 17, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you compare an average mechanical watch (e.g. Rolexes) with an atomic clock you'll notice that they are off by about 15 seconds per month. This means that in one year they have the potential to go off by 3 minutes. In two years it's 6 minutes. Being 6 minutes late probably won't impress the boss.

Apr 10, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bushrangers
If you compare an average mechanical watch (e.g. Rolexes) with an atomic clock you'll notice that they are off by about 15 seconds per month. This means that in one year they have the potential to go off by 3 minutes. In two years it's 6 minutes. Being 6 minutes late probably won't impress the boss.
Who's to say your boss won't suffer the same problem? ;) :p

Mobile phone clocks are the most reliable. Just compare your time with the Windows Time Server or whatever it is...surely they can't be wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back