Remove this Banner Ad

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Often at a loss where to post general poker news stories, so a dedicated Poker News thread is probably warranted.

Bwin Reports $730 Million Loss Due to Pullout from U.S.

Austrian online bookmaker/poker site Bwin announced a net loss of €540 million (equal to roughly US $702 million) for 2006, the result of its withdrawal from the U.S. market. The lion's share of the net loss came from a $701 million write-off ('impairment charge') for its Ongame unit, which lost roughly 70% of its revenue stream following the signing of the UIGEA. Bwin's European operations, however, continued to show growth.

PokerRoom runs on the OnGame Network.

Re: Poker News

Poker In The Face

http://www.magicunlimited.com/PokerInTheFace.htm

pokerlogosmalljk8.jpg
nowebcol1tpr4.jpg

IF GREEN felt and high-suited hole cards arouse you, you simply must buy into this comic sit'n'go. If the previous sentence made nothing like sense, then you're a poker naif. So, I'm going to look for you the next time I'm in the Vegas Lounge, take all your money and shout you a ticket to this show with the spoils. Oh yeah. Mama needs a new pair of shoes.

Poker nerds, such as your mildly desperate reviewer, will love this performance. Sitting at a card table, magician Tim Ellis deals out some tremendous tricks. As he does the impossible, he recounts stories of poker's true heroes. Doyle Brunson, Poker Alice and Wild Bill Hickok shoot and play their way through a lively narrative told with the deference of a true poker buff. Ellis is witty, truly engaged and magical.

Genre: Comedy (part of the Comedy Festival)

Address: 239 Waterdale Rd, Ivanhoe
Date: 5 April 2007 to 26 April 2007
Tickets: $22
Phone Bookings: (03) 9486 4445
Online Bookings: MagicUnlimited.com
Details: 5, 12, 19 and 26 April, 7pm and 9pm.

Address: 282 Exhibition St, Melbourne
Date: 10 April 2007 to 24 April 2007
Tickets: $22
Phone Bookings: (03) 9486 4445
Online Bookings: MagicUnlimited.com
Details: Tue, 7pm and 9pm.

I'll probably see it on DVD, but it won't be much. Father and son miraculously find their way to the WSOP final table heads up?

Yeah, ok.

Apparently there are some other ultra cheesy/'not gonna happen' parts to it too, which I won't mention here just in case anyone cares about spoilers.

I'll wait for dvd too.

Far too many other awesome movies coming out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should get Today Tonight to interview you. I bet they'd twist it good enough to make you look like you're broke, and stealing money from your parents' purse etc.

Brian Townsend has record day at Bellagio

+1.858M, my biggest win
Just finished playing a 18 hour session of 500/1000 and 1000/2000 NLH and PLO mix. I ended up 1.858 million dollars which beats my previous best day by 3x the amount. Over the last three days, I finished up 1.52 million dollars (I had forgotten that I spent 40K on the PLO w/rebuy tourney). The game started with Sammy and I playing HU which resulted in me starting out up about 1 million dollars. Then the game began to fill with Bobby Baldwin, David Benyamine, Patrik Antonious, Brandon Adams, Nenad Medic, Rafi Amit and a few others that aren't coming to me right now. For most of the day and evening it was David, Patrick, Sammy, Bobby and I playing.

I was very impressed with Bobby Baldwin's play. He hardly ever plays poker anymore since he manages the Bellagio but he was sitting playing 4 handed at the end of the night with me, Patrik, and Sammy. Bobby was definitely holding his own and I was extremely suprised with how well he played. Most famous poker players are not very good and overrated -- this was not the case with Bobby; he had a great sense of people. One hand I raised UTG in PLO he called on the button and Sammy called in the big blind. Flop came TT4 and we all checked turn came a 5 and it was checked through again. The river came an ace and it was checked to Bobby who said "Sammy your ten is good." Sammy then sheepishly turned over a ten.

I don't think the game is going to run anymore so I am probably going to head back to Santa Barbara either today or tomorrow. I really dislike it here in Vegas and can't wait to get back home. I have no plans or interest to play anymore events but may have to play a few more for business reasons.

Also 1K/2K NL/PLO is a huge game and when it got 4 handed at the end of the night with Patrik, Bobby, and Sammy we were straddling every hand making it a 1K/2K/4K structure. At that point Bobby had about 1.5 million in front of him I had about the same, Sammy had about 750K and Patrik had 400K. The game was so big it's amazing and the swings associated are massive. I was up 1.2 million, then down to +400K, then back up to 1.8 million. Usually when the Big Game runs there is a cap of ~50BB that any one person can put into the pot. This protects people from losing too much in one hand and encourages more action as well as some weaker players to sit. We played uncapped and this is probably one of the biggest games to ever run. I really like playing uncapped as it's much more challenging to have money to bet on all three streets.

He's played 1 WSOP event and seems thats all he'll play, not even the Main Event, I guess though why play boring tournaments for $5-$10k a pop when you put that in as a 3xBB in most of your cash games.

He hardly ever plays poker anymore since he manages the Bellagio but he was sitting playing 4 handed at the end of the night with me, Patrik, and Sammy.
That would be one the toughest PLO lineups in the world.

GJ Brian for winning so much, but I don't know if he'd be able to repeat the feat for a while.

I love Bobby Baldwin. He's definitely the best actor in the family.

But seriously, he was interviewed in that poker doco from last year, No Limit, and I liked his no BS serious demeanour.

He wrote a book about Poker, sort of a autobiographical piece, giving lessons as he goes.

I was flipping through it for about half an hour a few weeks ago at Borders. Seemed very insightful, might pick it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back