All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
North Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rocker fronts Kangas' resistance to AFL Gold Coast push
Martin Boulton | November 2, 2007

svKANGAS_wideweb__470x315,0.jpg

Tim Rogers, You Am I frontman and dedicated North Melbourne fan, will organise a benefit concert to raise funds and support for his club.
Photo: Peter Rae

MUSICIAN and passionate North Melbourne supporter Tim Rogers has joined a rearguard action of Kangaroos fans who want to stop their club being moved to the Gold Coast.

A day after AFL boss Andrew Demetriou set a 30-day deadline for the Kangaroos board to decide whether to leave town, Rogers has revealed plans for a benefit concert to raise money and support for keeping the club in North Melbourne.

Rogers, who fronts rock band You Am I, told The Age it was "crisis time" and the league's agenda placed "big business and money" ahead of the Kangaroos' rich history.

"That might be a very simplistic way of looking at it, but I'm a simple person and this makes me sick," he said. "Imagine if this was happening to your club."

Working with members of the newly formed We Are North Melbourne supporters group, Rogers has called together friends and musicians to stage a concert at the Prince of Wales in St Kilda. A date is yet to be set.

"It's a rally for North Melbourne and I know North people will support it.

"There's been talk we're going down without a whimper, which is not the case," Rogers said. "We've been lied to and we're sick of what we're being told."

On Wednesday Mr Demetriou revealed the Kangaroos debt had reached $4.25 million and urged the board to give "serious consideration" to relocation, or the league would issue a separate licence for a 17th club based on the Gold Coast.

"We've got a responsibility and obligation to all our clubs to grow the game nationally and we think it's an exciting opportunity," Mr Demetriou said.

"We're not telling the Kangaroos to do anything (and) we didn't threaten the Kangaroos with anything in relation to withdrawing funding."

The club receives annual funding of $1.4 million through the league's annual special distribution payments, which is due to be reviewed at the end of 2009.

Next year the club will play four games at Carrara as part of a three-year deal worth $400,000 per match.

Kangaroos chief executive Rick Aylett said the board would "evaluate all options" over the next month in an effort to secure "the best long-term future" for the club.

Onya Timmy (and our own The Other Dean).
Good publicity. Good chance to turn up and rally together.
Tim Rogers and ToD will put together a great line up (as if You Am I isn't enough on it's own) and cash will be raised. But the media will be the main part.

We have to pack the Prince of Wales.

Rocker fronts Kangas' resistance to AFL Gold Coast push
Martin Boulton | November 2, 2007

svKANGAS_wideweb__470x315,0.jpg

Tim Rogers, You Am I frontman and dedicated North Melbourne fan, will organise a benefit concert to raise funds and support for his club.
Photo: Peter Rae

Working with members of the newly formed We Are North Melbourne supporters group, Rogers has called together friends and musicians to stage a concert at the Prince of Wales in St Kilda. A date is yet to be set.

Top stuff.

POW have cut us a good deal, and I think you'll agree, it's a killer venue.

Dates and finalised bill to come.

However.....

WTF ? Would someone from WANM care to explain the line I have bolded in the article above ?? Cos' I'd really love to hear it.

Or shall I just quote the PM I received today that guaranteed me Martin Boulton had been expressly informed that this was NOT a WANM-organised benefit ??

Top stuff.

POW have cut us a good deal, and I think you'll agree, it's a killer venue.

Dates and finalised bill to come.

However.....

WTF ? Would someone from WANM care to explain the line I have bolded in the article above ?? Cos' I'd really love to hear it.

Or shall I just quote the PM I received today that guaranteed me Martin Boulton had been expressly informed that this was NOT a WANM-organised benefit ??

Guys, let's not squabble, certainly not on a public form ... great work in organising this.

Guys, let's not squabble, certainly not on a public form ... great work in organising this.

Yeah, you're right. Probably best to have that kind of discussion near a back door.

Yeah, you're right. Probably best to have that kind of discussion near a back door.

C'mon mate, take it easy. It's probably just the Age editor chucking that in, and even if not, the WANM people deserve all the praises from all of us for at least putting us on the map. Either way, I am sure you're not after any personal recognition here - if you were you'd put your own name into the article. It's all about our common cause.

C'mon mate, take it easy. It's probably just the Age editor chucking that in, and even if not, the WANM people deserve all the praises from all of us for at least putting us on the map. Either way, I am sure you're not after any personal recognition here - if you were you'd put your own name into the article. It's all about our common cause.

For a start, personal recognition is of no consequence to me. But thanks for the backhander, anyway. Appreciate it. If people believe that it is what is motivating me, then some other fcuker can organise this. Simple.

With all due respect, vlad, I'm not sure you know the full story here, so I'm a little disappointed you have found it necessary to weigh in.

For a start, personal recognition is of no consequence to me. But thanks for the backhander, anyway. Appreciate it. If people believe that it is what is motivating me, then some other fcuker can organise this. Simple.

With all due respect, vlad, I'm not sure you know the full story here, so I'm a little disappointed you have found it necessary to weigh in.

No I don't know the full story, but what backhander are you talking about?
FFS, all I was trying to say was that now is not the time to get personal with any of our "internal" family. I didn't mean to imply that you did want personal recognition - which is why I said I am sure you did NOT.

I think it's a great idea (this concert) and I just didn't want to see any negative elements around it, that's all.

Journalists fudging things for a story? Well I never...

I've actually noticed quite a few liberties taken with the WANM name already by the media. Despite a fairly dogged line being taken from the start that the group was primarily about handing the decision making process back to the members, I recall newspapers stating that WANM was "leading the anti relocation push" :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a great idea trevagreene, a membership booth is I suspect exactly what Tim would want.

And well done TOD getting this thing going. It's very easy to talk about these sort of events but actually getting it going takes tremendous will power.

In terms of WANM, excellent job you guys are doing too, but I think everyone outside of the group needs to be clear that WANM has a specific brief which relates to the ownership structure and is therefore not essentially a catch all for every anti-relocationist. For instance, two of our most effective pro-Melbourne supporters are Peter de Rauch and Bob Ansett and they of course have no interest in dismantling the ownership structure.

Tim Rogers has not stated his position on the ownership structure and quite possibly has no position. From my brief conversations with him, he just wants to support the club. Let's not make assumptions.

I will be the fat middle aged long hair there - we should wear our North jumpers to the gig

As we know, to our club's detriment, the media loves a simple story.

WANM have been in the media, and in such a short time they have gained great exposure, therefore they are seen as the Save North type group.

I know WANM has a specific brief relating to the shareholding structure but it must be acknowledged that they are seen as the group fighting relocation. Perception is everything and we may have to make adjustments accordingly. We may not have time to get stuck in a debate about demarcation lines.

Great news about the gig and getting coverage in the papers. I'll definately go and should be able to bring a few more along. Also, if needed, I'm happy to help out with any piano related stuff.

great idea, i'll be there.

as an aside why was the prince of wales chosen instead of say...the public bar or some other pub in closer proximity to north? no criticism, just curious.

or even at Shagga's new bar in flemington?

go roos

As we know, to our club's detriment, the media loves a simple story.

WANM have been in the media, and in such a short time they have gained great exposure, therefore they are seen as the Save North type group.

Yep. No problems.

I know WANM has a specific brief relating to the shareholding structure but it must be acknowledged that they are seen as the group fighting relocation.

Again, I agree.

Maybe it's just me, but if the group acknowledges that this is role the they occupy amongst the press and to the supporter base, it has to get hardcore on the message. We've got 28 days to save a footy club.

Who will the shares be returned to if the footy club dies? This is the issue of the moment.

As for the gig, TOD has done all the early groundwork. What is run in the press means nothing, but the people involved can't be dealing with 3, 4 or 10 people to organise one thing.

The PoW is a great venue.

Iconic, great band room that fits a lot of people and You Am I kow how to rock it. There will be a fair turnout for this and tickets will be hotly sought after - a little non-band place in Nort Melbourne just wouldn't suit.

The prince will be perfect.

Plus it has a recent footy connection - maybe we should invite Stephen Lawerence (Actually, we could invite Ms. Gillon as well and tell Lawerence that Gillon just threw a billiard ball at his best mate)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back