Bulldogs awarded for bravery

Remove this Banner Ad

Crosssy and Williams our brave boys, well done guys...

Bulldogs awarded for bravery

5:53 PM Wed 5 December, 2007
for westernbulldogs.com.au

News
LeasePlan Western Bulldogs players, Daniel Cross and Tom Williams have been rewarded for their bravery in October when they jumped into Victoria Harbour while on holiday and saved a young girl’s life.

The Director of Marine in Hong Kong has advised the club this week that the players have been awarded the certificate of commendation with a plaque to be presented by the Director of Marine early next year.

Both players were surprised to receive the news this week and said they would do the same thing again if they saw someone in trouble.

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose said the club was extremely proud of both players and said the acknowledgement from the Director of Marine in Hong Kong highlighted the fact that their actions were out of the ordinary.

“They are both remarkable young men who work extremely hard on the field and behave commendably off the field. I was not surprised to hear they acted the way they did at the time.”

The girl, still wearing her school uniform is believed to have been attempting suicide. She was spotted by passersby in the waters of Victoria Harbour about 7.30pm (Hong Kong time) on 4th October, 2007.

After hearing shouts from bystanders, midfielder Daniel Cross and defender Tom Williams dived into the harbour and swam to the rescue of the drowning woman.

The two players tried to use a life ring, however ended up having to drag her to shore.

Both Cross, 24, and Williams, 21, suffered minor cuts and bruises but said they were feeling fine.

"We noticed someone jumping in but to be honest we thought it was just one of the local fishermen. Then we realised something was wrong and just jumped in," Williams said.

"We had to swim 10km's to get her out and fight several sharks off at the same time ....... no really it was just 200m!" he laughed.

The pair, in Hong Kong as part of an unofficial team trip, were waiting to board a cruise boat when the alert was raised.

Cross still had his wallet and mobile phone in his pockets at the time of jumping into the water so his teammates were planning to buy him a new phone, however Telstra quickly responded offering a free phone.

Importantly I hope the young girl is well & it would be nice if she was onhand at the presentation.

That would be very unlikely. If she wasn't sure if she had failed at life she can be certain the she failed in ending it. She might not be to keen on thanking the people that ruined her attempt.

Although i would like to find out if she is still alive.

That has been used before:rolleyes:

But ofcourse, they have to rehash parts of the previous articles to spice it up a bit - but I never tire of reading it, especially if it concerns our players.

The main thing is both boys have been acknowledged by the Director of Marine over in Hong Kong and they did good. Good press is good press!

Our off field record is something we can all be proud of .It is so important these days .I just hope we dont get a fine from the AFL for bringing the game into repute.

Our off field record is something we can all be proud of .It is so important these days .I just hope we dont get a fine from the AFL for bringing the game into repute.

I agree. I guess Clayton and his crew do a fair bit of work identifying not only the best footballers but solid citizens.
I wouldn't discount the fact that we had the likes of Grant, Darcy, Smith, West and Johnson as the leaders of our younger players either.

I agree. I guess Clayton and his crew do a fair bit of work identifying not only the best footballers but solid citizens.
I wouldn't discount the fact that we had the likes of Grant, Darcy, Smith, West and Johnson as the leaders of our younger players either.

Interesting point..where does the recruiters morals sit. Is winning more important than getting a nice bloke?

Did Cousins\Kerr etc have any bad press about them as a youngster? I seem to remember hearing negatives about Buddy Franklin as a juniour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back