Traded Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

What the hell has he been doing for the last month and a half?
Dudley%20Moore%20as%20Arthur.jpg

MFC: I want to be remembered as a Demon: Clark

“I want to be known as a Melbourne player and not the guy who came across from Brissy (Brisbane). I’ve really loved the supporters here - they’ve got a lot of passion for the footy club and it’s great to see,” he said.

“They’ve done a great job this year of sticking with us through a really tough season. I really appreciate their support and I’ve never really felt that support from supporters before, so it’s been great.

“Hopefully, they can stick with us for many more years, and we can give them some reward for doing so.”

MFC: Clark aiming to complete most of pre-season

KEY FORWARD Mitch Clark is optimistic he will start running in mid to late November, after suffering a serious foot injury which sidelined him for the second half of the 2012 season.

Clark, who topped Melbourne’s goalkicking with 29 goals this year from 11 matches in a fine first season, said he would spend much of September and October “hanging around the footy club” to ensure he had the best chance of success for the 2013 season.

“My main focus is getting this foot right, and making sure I get most of the pre-season in,” he told melbournefc.com.au.

Mitch Clark Season Review

Pre Season
Nobody was sure what to make of Mitch Clark when he walked out on the Brisbane Lions following the completion of an uneasy 2011 season. Many thought he was going to Fremantle, returning home to Western Australia in the process. Many, except for Mark Neeld and his new team. Neeld flew up to Brisbane to make a personal bid for Clark's services - promising to make Clark the go-to man in Melbourne's forward line as they looked to improve in 2012. Eventually, Brisbane (and Clark) accepted a deal which saw Clark go to Melbourne in exchange for pick 12 in the National Draft. Some derided the move - saying that Clark had unfulfilled potential and had kicked 27 goals in 17 games as a forward last year. Others - particularly Melbourne fans, were quietly excited for the move, believing that he could be the man to solve Melbourne's forward woes.

In December, Clark was handed the #11 jumper by president Jim Stynes, shortly before his tragic passing.

He Said It: "Often there's a little bit of expectation (on recruits), but he's a big fella, he's can handle all of that. I don't think he's going to have any problem with what's going to be thrown at him. We'll see how we go, but the proof will be when he gets out there and starts to play." - Jim Stynes

"I was really excited about the opportunity to wear the jumper from the start, I just wanted to tick that box by meeting with him and talking to him about it first. After I did that it was a pretty easy decision. The way that people talk about him around the club - and the couple of times I've spoken to him myself - I know he's such a generous and amazing guy." - Mitch Clark

NAB Cup
Round 1 of the NAB Cup saw Melbourne take on Gold Coast and Brisbane on an extremely wet night at Metricon Stadium - a night which didn't really favour forwards such as Clark. However, Clark was undeterred, taking a strong mark in the very first minute, and kicking a goal. It was the kind of start everyone at Melbourne - coaching staff and fans alike, wanted to see, and it only got better from there. Clark began his Melbourne career kicking 1.2 in a three point loss to the Gold Coast. In his second game against the Lions, he was well held by Matt Maguire. However, the first night saw a lot of encouraging signs.

In a sensational win against the Magpies, Clark was rested.

Round three saw Melbourne take on Hawthorn at Etihad, and Clark again showed encouraging form. Playing on new Hawk Jarrod Boumann for the majority, Clark kicked three goals from limited opportunities as Melbourne were routed by 79 points. Clark was named Melbourne's best, great signs for our new recruit. In Melbourne's final NAB Cup game, against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium - a forgettable 48 point loss, Clark contributed three more goals.

NAB Cup Form:
Games: 4
Goals: 7

2012 AFL Premiership Season
Round 1 (Vs Brisbane @ MCG)
Stats
Kicks: 9
Marks: 4
Handballs: 1
Output: 2.1

Round 1 saw Clark take on his old club, Brisbane, at the home of football. After the passing of Jim Stynes, Melbourne were disappointing in their first outing for 2012, whacked by 41 points. Clark kicked two goals late in the game, and had 10 disposals. Afterwards, he was criticised in a scathing attack by former coach and commentator Leigh Matthews. During the game, he was also subject to bronx cheers halfway through the final quarter.

He Said It: "They're unforgiving, aren't they, the crowd..." - Anthony Hudson (upon Melbourne fans bronx cheering Clark)

"He (Clark) had a good year in the ruck in 2009 but he's never looked more than an average key position player. Ben Hudson will be a better recruit for the Lions than Mitch Clark for Melbourne and save about half a million dollars in the process." - Leigh Matthews

"Hudson's going to be a great pick-up for the Lions I'm sure and hopefully I can be a good pick-up for the Demons. I'm not going to worry about what Leigh or anyone else is saying. What I care about is how my teammates and my coaches see me within my club. If I can just play my role for the team then I'm happy with that." - Mitch Clark

Clark would bounce back from this spray very quickly.

Round 2 (Vs West Coast @ Patersons Stadium)
Stats
Kicks: 7
Marks: 0
Handballs: 5
Output: 5.0

Clark's second game for Melbourne saw him record his best haul during the season, kicking five goals. Three of the goals, it should be said, were fairly opportunistic, snapping them on the right foot, one-on-one with his defender, but there is no doubt Clark would have been happy with his performance. Indeed, Clark kicked five of Melbourne's nine goals, and without him, it would be fair to say Melbourne would be in more scrutiny than they already were, having lost by 108 points to the Eagles. Clark brought his running total to seven goals and was looming as a possible Coleman Medal chance in a team already struggling.

He Said It: "Needs it to come back... it's not bad... it's beautiful. Wonderful kick from Mitch Clark - he's got four. He's doing his job." - Matthew Campbell

Round 3 (Vs Richmond @ MCG)
Stats
Kicks: 8
Marks: 5
Handballs: 0
Output: 2.3

Clark's solid start at Melbourne continued with another two goals, bringing his running tally to nine goals in three games in another disappointing loss, this time to Richmond. Although Melbourne's form was very poor, supporters were given a reason for optimism as the form of Clark was shining very brightly, proving that Melbourne had recruited him very wisely.

Round 4 (Vs Footscray @ MCG)
Stats
Marks: 5
Handballs: 0
Output: 1.2

In the Jim Stynes tribute match, Clark was not only substituted out of the game, but taken to hospital, following a dramatic fall from crashing a pack including James Sellar, Easton Wood and Mark Austin. Beforehand, Clark had presented well and continued his good form, despite only kicking one goal. Undoubtedly, Clark was very lucky to suffer only minor neck damage, as others had previously been unlucky in the same scenario.

He Said It: "This is the man you'd be trying to kick it to at every opportunity." - Jason Dunstall

"He's nearly killed himself there." - Eddie McGuire

"Looking back, I was lucky, and the docs said I was pretty lucky, I pretty much went to hospital straight away and got the scans. "I watched it back the next day and it obviously didn't look great. It frightened a few of my family and friends. Mum and Dad were pretty crook watching it back in Perth, but the club was great in letting them know what was happening to me." Mitch Clark

Round 5 (Vs St Kilda @ MCG)
Although Clark desperately tried to prove his fitness for the St Kilda game, Clark was not cleared by Melbourne medical staff, and sat out the 18 point loss to St Kilda. Had Clark been cleared to play, there may well have been a different result, but it was not to be. This would be the only game Clark would miss before his season ending foot injury.

He Said It: "I ran around on the Friday and tried to convince them, but they took the conservative approach, I suppose that just shows the care that they have for the players." - Mitch Clark

The missed game was a chance for Melbourne supporters to reflect back on Clark's impressive form since crossing over from Brisbane, kicking 10 goals in four games at an average at 2.5 goals a game, which is all that Melbourne could have asked of him.

Round 6 (Vs Geelong @ Simonds Stadium)
Stats
Kicks: 16
Marks: 8
Output: 4.2

Looking back, this was probably Clark's best game for the season upon his return to the senior lineup. Up against the reigning premiers, Clark had the equal second most possessions of any Demon (an amazing achievement for a player who had played most of the day up forward), and also kicked four goals. Clark was deservedly Melbourne's best on a day where they had thoroughly improved on their last trip to Geelong.

He Said It: "They need this target. They need to get it to him (Clark)." - Mick Malthouse

Round 7 (Vs Hawthorn @ MCG)
Stats
Kicks: 11
Marks: 9
Handballs: 2
Output: 3.2

Clark's first quarter, matched on mostly Ryan Schoenmakers, was a joy to watch as he seemingly carried Melbourne on his own, kicking their three goals. However, through lack of forward 50 entries, as has been the case this season, Clark's output dried up, and when it did go inside 50, he was well held by Ben Stratton. Having said that, the first quarter left a lasting impression on many Melbourne fans' season as, for half an hour, they dared to dream.

He Said It: "Tell you what... his kicking... is sweet!" - Dennis Cometti

Round 8 (Vs Sydney @ SCG)
Stats
Kicks: 13
Marks: 6
Handballs: 3
Output: 0.1

A dirty day for the Demons, and Clark's first goalless game, but his 16 possession, six mark game would have pleased him as he continued to give his all. With Melbourne only scoring five goals for the afternoon against the eventual premiers Clark was made to work harder for his possessions and he didn't disappoint, despite only scoring one behind.

Round 9 (Vs Carlton @ MCG)
Stats
Marks: 3
Handballs: 4
Output: 3.4

Again, Clark was the main reason why Melbourne stayed in the game for three quarters, before a last quarter blitz from the Blues blew the Dees away. Clark could have easily kicked six but for some missed opportunities. The fact that Clark managed seven shots on goal would have been pleasing for many Demon fans. For the third time this season, Clark kicked at least half of Melbourne's goals for the match.

He Said It: "His kicking has been very good this season... and that's no exception!" - Dennis Cometti

Round 10 (Vs Essendon @ MCG)
Stats
Marks: 1
Handballs: 6
Output: 1.1

Interestingly, one of Clark's quietest games came in Melbourne's first win of the season, a famous win against Essendon. However, Clark's qualities and improvement as a player shone through late in the third quarter, when Melbourne, needing a goal after Essendon had kicked four unanswered goals, won a free kick when Clark was impeded, and Clark, kicking from 50 metres out with a swirling breeze making his kick that much tougher, scored a crucial clutch goal to bring Melbourne back into the game. For the first time as a Melbourne player, Clark could enjoy the spoils of victory.

Round 11 (Vs Collingwood @ MCG)
Stats
Kicks: 12
Marks: 9
Output: 4.1

On Melbourne's biggest stage of the season - Queen's Birthday - they were threatened to suffer an embarrassing loss against the Magpies, but thanks to the second half efforts of Clark and others, impressed to only go down by 42 points in the end. As Melbourne threatened to come back, Clark became a focal point and was unstoppable in the second half, kicking four goals. By the bye round for Melbourne, Clark had kicked 25 goals from 10 games and was looking good to kick at least 50 goals with games against GWS (x2) and Gold Coast included on the run home.

Round 12 (BYE)

Round 13 (GWS Giants @ MCG)
Stats
Kicks: 10
Marks: 3
Output: 4.1

Don't let the stats deceive you. Clark could, and probably would have, kicked 10 goals or more, but for a foot injury which kept him out for the season following this game. Clark had set the football world alight with four opening quarter goals against the inexperienced Giants, helping to set up Melbourne to a comfortable win, however, his foot injury, a rare Lisfranc injury suffered by the likes of Matthew Richardson and Trent Croad, kept him out for the remainder of the season.

He Said It: "That's a super mark. What a season he's having, hey?" - Bruce McAvaney

"His kicking has been exemplary this season... and that's... no exception! That is a beautiful kick... he is on song!" - Dennis Cometti

"The plan is we want him to be right for the start of the pre-season. His leadership and influence on the group - on and off the field - has been outstanding since arriving at the club." - Josh Mahoney

"Thanks for all the support. Looking forward to supporting all the lads for the rest of the year." - Mitch Clark (via Twitter)

Injury Update

At this stage Clark is recovering well from his Lisfranc tear in his foot and has been managed carefully to ensure that he is able to come back to his best early in 2013. Clark is aiming to return to football by round 1, next season.

He Said It: “My main focus is getting this foot right, and making sure I get most of the pre-season in. I’ll sit down with the guys and work out a plan and keep ticking off the days and the weeks - hopefully mid to late November, I’ll be starting to run again hopefully. Hopefully - fingers crossed, it’ll be smooth sailing from there." - Mitch Clark

Season Review
The season should never have come to an end after Round 13. However, for Clark, this proved to be the case with his Lisfranc tear. It was, in all honesty, considering the circumstances and derision he had copped from opposition fans, a super season from Clark. From his humble beginnings in round 1, to the world beater he had threatened to become against the Hawks, to almost stealing the show against the Giants on a day Tom Scully had returned to the MCG, Clark had become Melbourne's focal point.

He Said It: "Mitch was in great form before getting injured. His ability to compete and mark the footy was a highlight, and he kicked multiple goals in most of his games. As well as being in the leadership group in his first year, Mitch was a real leader with actions on the field. He is working very hard on his rehabilitation in order to be ready for another good pre-season." - Leigh Brown

Clark lifted his average goals per game from under one at Brisbane to 2.6 at Melbourne in his first season - an impressive effort for someone who was touted as "a worse pickup for Melbourne than Ben Hudson at Brisbane." While Hudson was serviceable, Clark was, comparitively, on another planet between rounds 6-13.

My Thoughts
I don't think you could have asked for a lot more from Clark this season - he did entirely what he was supposed to do in the timeframe he was in the team. He lead up, provided a contest and most importantly, kicked goals for the Melbourne Football Club. The challenge is to return to the form he had displayed pre-injury when he comes in to the side in round 1, 2013. For the season, I give Clark an 9/10.

MFC: Clark to undergo surgery

MELBOURNE'S Mitch Clark will undergo surgery on Wednesday to remove the staples from his injured foot as he continues to recover from a Lisfranc injury suffered midway through 2012.

The surgery is a scheduled part of Clark's rehabilitation process and another positive indication that he remains on course for an early season return...

On the mend.

MFC: Pre-season update: Viney to Clark

11. Mitch Clark
It’s been great to see Mitch up and about running. It gives the group a real lift to see him back out on the paddock. We’re really looking forward to seeing him join in our fooball sessions after Christmas and move into the next phase of training and then into games.

Leigh Brown

MFC: I want to play round one: Clark

KEY FORWARD Mitch Clark says he has set his sights on making his anticipated return for Melbourne’s season opener against Port Adelaide at the MCG on Sunday, March 31.

“I’ve spent a couple of weeks in a moon boot, but the recovery has been a lot quicker than the last bout of surgery, which is pleasing.

“I’m walking around now and starting to build up in the gym, and then soon I’ll be running again.”

Sounds like he's on the way. Not going to rush things though, big picture. If not round 1 then probably not too long into the season.

MFC: Clark urged to take his time

MELBOURNE forward Mitch Clark has been urged not to rush back from a foot injury just to make the start of the AFL season.

"For Mitch it's about not being too eager to play round one and just dealing with his rehab properly," Dawes said.

"I keep saying to him `Don't get yourself up for round one just because it's round one, just make sure you do everything right.'

There's genuine excitement there but some cool heads too. Slow and steady wins the race.

Mitch Clark Season Preview

It's the question on everybody's lips at Melbourne.

Just when will Mitch Clark make his return to the field?

Luckily, it seems the answer will come sooner, rather than later. Nonetheless, whatever happens from here, Clark's fitness with have huge ramifications on the Melbourne Football Club, either way. We all know what Clark is capable of on the field - 29 goals in nine and a half games proves that. However, Melbourne fans still copped the biggest bodyblow in what was an already negatively eventful season when he was subbed off, citing a foot injury in round 13. A Lisfranc tear, ruling him out for the season, and out for an indefinite period, was the worst possible news a supporter could receive.

However, it does seem that Clark could make his return to the MCG on Sunday afternoon, despite only 60 minutes of football throughout the whole NAB Cup period. However, despite the little football he has played, there is a lot to go through regarding his pre season.

Clark spent the last couple of months in his rehabilitation process with Jack Trengove, who had also injured his foot early in 2013. The unfortunate injury to the co-captain was a positive for Clark, who stated to the media: “It’s a long, hard battle in rehab. But fortunately I had Jack Trengove go down, and that helped me a bit. We’ve spent the last couple of months working closely.” Clark also mentioned that he sought advice on the injury from Matthew Richardson, who tore his Lisfranc early in his career.

This week, Clark also stated that it was the first time he had trained together with his new big forward partner Chris Dawes, who himself is facing his own injury battle leading into round one. Clark said of Dawes: “From watching him I’m still trying to learn how he plays and where he moves and where he likes the footy, as all the other boys are as well. So we’ve got two sessions to get it right. I’m not too sure how it’ll work, it should be fun."

Regardless of whether Clark comes back in round one, or round two/three, Clark still has a serious shot of kicking many goals in 2013. Two games against the Giants, the Suns, and the Bulldogs provide excellent opportunities for bags. An early season encounter against the Eagles, in which he kicked five goals against them at Patersons' last year, also provides an opportunity for more goals.

However, with his new partner in Chris Dawes lightening the load, expect Clark to play some role in the ruck in season 2013. In a wide ranging interview with the Herald Sun, coach Mark Neeld said: "Mitch (Clark) has got great agility and between he and Cam Pederson they will share the second ruck role. It allows Mitch to get on his bike a bit more and we're keen for that." The ruck is where Clark, as a Lion, arguably produced his best full season in 2009, as he went close to All-Australian selection. Now, as a Demon, he wants to repay the faith shown in him during his long term injury.

Melbourne's 2013 season largely hinges on the form of Clark, who was somewhat of a talisman for the club up forward last year. If he can return to what we saw, pre-Lisfranc injury, a bumper season is in store for Clark and Melbourne.

Round 1 Review

A dirty day for the Demons but at least Mitch Clark showed a bit of encouraging form before unfortunately suffering an ankle injury as a result of a tackle from Jackson Trengove in the third quarter. Clark kicked Melbourne's opening two goals, including a superb snap in the pocket.

Clark was subbed as a precaution for Sam Blease in the final quarter but early reports suggest that he may be cleared to play Essendon. Otherwise, it was good that Clark was able to get through without aggravating his foot injury from last season. However, the lack of delivery would have been frustrating for Clark, in which the forward 50 seemed to resemble more of a ghost town in the second half.

Kicks: 3
Marks: 2
Tackles: 3
Output: 2.0

Round 2 Review

Another quiet game for Mitch that was not of his doing, as the ball struggled to come in the forward 50, forcing Melbourne to (at times) astonishingly play him down back just to get him into the game. With only 28 forward 50s, Clark's output of nine disposals under his circumstances was an excellent return. By kicking a goal, he remains Melbourne's leading goal scorer, maintaining his record of leading the goalkicking since his arrival at the Melbourne Football Club.

Kicks: 5
Marks: 2
Tackles: 0
Output: 1.0

Season Stats

Marks: 4
Tackles: 3
Output: 3.0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MFC: Clark unlikely for round five
MITCH Clark is unlikely to take on former team the Brisbane Lions this weekend after spraining his right foot against Greater Western Sydney on Sunday.

The key forward put his foot on ice as he sat out the Demons' record-breaking last quarter at the MCG.

Initially there were some fears Clark may have aggravated the Lisfranc injury that forced him to miss the final nine games of 2012.

However, Melbourne coach Mark Neeld said post-match the prognosis was a foot sprain, with Clark to be sent for precautionary scans.

Those scans showed a sprain of the right mid-foot and the Demons have virtually ruled him out of Sunday's game at the Gabba.
*sobs quietly*

Remember he was dominating Queens Birthday one year and singlehandedly kept us in the game. Then Cale Morton made the worst kick ever and ended the game before half time.

Remember he was dominating Queens Birthday one year and singlehandedly kept us in the game. Then Cale Morton made the worst kick ever and ended the game before half time.

Probs a different game but reminded me of this, the groan from Tim Watson.

His best was incredible but only saw it for a very short time. Great contested mark, superb athleticism and kicked like a mule. Despite hating him for 'retiring' then going to Geelong I can't help but be sad at how his career turned out. Was much more talented than Hogan for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back