News & Events Could you place Ukraine on a map?

Remove this Banner Ad

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some serious s**t likely to go down in Ukraine over the next 24-48 hours.

And what do News and Fairfax sites have to say about it?

Hun: Nothing at all. Top stories are Robbo talking about Daisy, and the missing plane.

Australian: Sixth story, with lede saying that Ukraine is about to launch 'anti-terror' assault. Interestingly the article is one of the few which doesn't require a subscription to access.

The Age: Only mentioned in World section, and here they run with the same 'anti-terror' angle as the Aus. Stories at top of page include something about Oscar Pistorius trial, and some wealthy accountant being jailed.

What a farce.

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A lighter take on what is happening wrt US domestic and foreign policy.

1901303_510248852419649_1373420545885364249_n.jpg

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'll tell you who certainly can place Kiev on a map.

The chief of the CIA, who happened to be on a secret trip under an assumed name to the Ukrainian capital just recently.
The White House on Monday warned that Russia would face more "costs" for its interventions in Ukraine and confirmed that the director of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, John Brennan, was in Kiev over the weekend.

"We don't normally comment on the CIA director's travel but given the extraordinary circumstances in this case and the false claims being leveled by the Russians at the CIA we can confirm that the director was in Kiev as part of a trip to Europe," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/14/us-ukraine-crisis-obama-idUSBREA3D1DH20140414

Yeah, we wouldn't want anybody 'intervening' now, would we?

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
Cheap gas and $15b in loans from Russia vs expensive gas and $15b in loans from the IMF. The first was the option Yanukovych went with, the second is what Ukraine will now have to take. Look at the austerity measures enacted in several countries in Europe, look at how many of their people curse the EU and the IMF, and consider what Ukraine now has to look froward to. It won't be pretty.

I've never suggested Yanukovych was a 'good guy'. All I have said is that he was democratically elected. Which he was. I might think jokers like Abbott and Shorten are crooked and lead corrupt parties (and I do) but if Australia votes for these cretins, that is Australia's right. I feel the same way about Ukraine and Yanukovych. How anybody can support what happened in Kiev is beyond me.

There's a big difference between lying scum like our politicians and beating the s**t out of people who vote against you.

It took 3 attempts for Yanukovych to get elected and too suggest the third time wasn't filled with the same "discrepancies" as his first two attempts is rose coloured glasses.

The man was nothing more then a Russian pantsy, who's rise to power was as "democratic" as any of the puppets the US installed in south America.

Russia's deals come with just as much raping of sovereignty as the EU just look a Belarus and how many companies are now directly owned and controlled by Moscow.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
There's a big difference between lying scum like our politicians and beating the s**t out of people who vote against you.

It took 3 attempts for Yanukovych to get elected and too suggest the third time wasn't filled with the same "discrepancies" as his first two attempts is rose coloured glasses.

The man was nothing more then a Russian pantsy, who's rise to power was as "democratic" as any of the puppets the US installed in south America.

Russia's deals come with just as much raping of sovereignty as the EU just look a Belarus and how many companies are now directly owned and controlled by Moscow.

EU Observers called it legit.

And it's not like the new guys aren't as controlled by the oligarchs- who they appointed as the governors of the eastern regions.

Kiev is sending in the tanks to smash up Donetsk. If Yanukovich did the same everyone here would be screaming murder.

Plus the pro Eastern President candidate just got beaten up in Kiev.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Before you read any further, I ask you to look at the following map and mentally pick where you think Ukraine sits.

World_Map_-_Black_&_White_L.jpg

Apparently, when asked to do this, only one in six Americans picked a place within Ukraine's borders. More alarmingly (but not altogether surprisingly), the further from Ukraine they guessed that country to be, the more inclined they were to support US 'intervention' in that region.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...location-the-more-they-want-u-s-to-intervene/

Few people in this thread are going to admit to being oblivious as to the whereabouts of Ukraine. What I would like to know is if you personally would support an 'intervention' by US/NATO forces in the region, if you would support Australian participation in such operations, if you care much about what is taking place over there, and how knowledgeable you feel you are about that part of the world and its current troubles.

Over to you, bigfooty.

Don't need to pick it internally, unlike most........I've been there. So didn't have too much trouble finding it.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
EU Observers called it legit.

And it's not like the new guys aren't as controlled by the oligarchs- who they appointed as the governors of the eastern regions.

Kiev is sending in the tanks to smash up Donetsk. If Yanukovich did the same everyone here would be screaming murder.

Plus the pro Eastern President candidate just got beaten up in Kiev.

I'm not saying they are some how better I said at the beginning there's no good guys here.

My whole point was to showing that both sides are equally s**t.

And as for your EU observers they also endorsed Bush's re-election.

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
Some serious s**t likely to go down in Ukraine over the next 24-48 hours.

And what do News and Fairfax sites have to say about it?

Hun: Nothing at all. Top stories are Robbo talking about Daisy, and the missing plane.

Australian: Sixth story, with lede saying that Ukraine is about to launch 'anti-terror' assault. Interestingly the article is one of the few which doesn't require a subscription to access.

The Age: Only mentioned in World section, and here they run with the same 'anti-terror' angle as the Aus. Stories at top of page include something about Oscar Pistorius trial, and some wealthy accountant being jailed.

What a farce.
The USA and NATO want you to believe that some serious s**t is going to go down in Eastern Ukraine in the next 24-48 hours, but unless they start it nothing is actually going to happen.

The illigetimate Ukraine government, the one that is self appointed and not elected, has decided that it wants to end protests and occupations by force, similar to what ousted President Yanokvych wanted to do to their protests and occupation of government buildings. The only difference is this has been sanctioned by the war criminals that are the USA administration and her allies. But cosndiering the USA can rig their own elections to install a preferred President of some, it is hardly suprising that they recognise an unelected government in a democratic country.

What you read in the USA aligned press is the side of the story that the USA and NATO want you to read. The truth is the EU is floundering and Russia is on the rise economically. The USA is starting to feel an inferiority complex over the fact that they now have to deal with the rebirth of the Russian superpower on top of the rise of China as a superpower, thus making massive inroads into their perceived self domance of world politics. This domination is done purely for the benefit of USA corporations and not the benefit of the citizens of the countries involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely people can think "Ukraine mail order brides...Russain mail order brides.... must share a border" pick one of the neighbouring European countries and u couldn't be too far off

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting that the pamphlets were handed out were in any way legitimate?

no idea and don't really care to tell the truth

whether legitimate or a hoax or anything else, it is largely irrelevant. it is really how it is received by jews, the broader community and the racist elements that matters.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Europa Universalis IV.
And boy did I get arse kicked in my first attempt at that game today. Damned regency council, followed by the king dying as soon as he came of age, and vassalsed as a result of Austria taking the throne.

But I digress, I was the wrong side of the water and ended up in Kazakhstan when I went to pick Ukraine. (Days before EU4)

And boy did I get arse kicked in my first attempt at that game today. Damned regency council, followed by the king dying as soon as he came of age, and vassalsed as a result of Austria taking the throne.

Best thing to do with Paradox games is to pick a big country to get the hang of the basics. I started EU III with France and CK II with Saxony (because they were a fairly big state in the HRE).

If you need a fun way to learn your obscure geography and minor historical states, you can't go past EU.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

But I digress, I was the wrong side of the water and ended up in Kazakhstan when I went to pick Ukraine. (Days before EU4)

Best thing to do with Paradox games is to pick a big country to get the hang of the basics. I started EU III with France and CK II with Saxony (because they were a fairly big state in the HRE).

If you need a fun way to learn your obscure geography and minor historical states, you can't go past EU.

That new exploit with the scorched earth provinces is great. I can finally play a good hard mode Scottish ironman game without England constantly sending me into bankruptcy.

I think Burgundy is the best game for beginners. Though it's lot harder now that getting Bar isn't one of the starting missions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back