Inaugural BigFooty Keeper League

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats to PG for the win (and in the yearly league too!) - team came good for you at the right time. Great effort by the Pavelskis to make the GF and have a chance to defend the title from last year. For GIWI and I, well we both took over a couple of very (extremely) ordinary squads from inactive players who gave up on participating in the league for whatever reason (Iggy 2 years back, me 3) and have since managed to build them to the point of being very competitive, both losing close semis to eventually finish third and fourth. Marns, there's hope for you yet! (and I see that we have another squad that needs a manager too).

Major change we need to make is to start the league playoffs a week earlier, so as the grand final is on in the second to last week of the season rather than right up to the last day. Pav had no chance, with long term keepers such as Toews, Backes, Quick etc either not playing or only having one or two games for the week - am sure all the squads had similar issues (me with Iginla, Krejci, Krug, Varlamov etc all rested by their respective teams in the leadup to the playoffs - still managed to just steal the win from Iggy).

Great league though - lots of fun - hope we can continue on for years to come.......

Last edited:
Pav had no chance, with long term keepers such as Toews, Backes, Quick etc either not playing or only having one or two games for the week -

These injuries hurt, but congrats to PG

The worst part is they were all DTD, so I couldn't even stash them, and there's no chance I'm dropping them.

Bring on next season

These injuries hurt, but congrats to PG

The worst part is they were all DTD, so I couldn't even stash them, and there's no chance I'm dropping them.

Bring on next season

The DTD at the end of the season was super annoying - I had guys like Kreider who were clearly not going to play for the rest of the season but teams left them DTD rather than put them on IR because those terms become meaningless towards seasons end.

Also agree with suggestion above to move the playoffs a week earlier.

Cheers lads. Nice to do the double!

Unlucky ScottyJC, I thought running out of trades might be my downfall but injuries to Toews and Backes and unexpected great goaltending from Lindback, Anderson and Ramo got the win.

I agree about bumping up the finals a week.

I wouldn't mind winning that playoff for 1st pick next year...

I've got 3 first round picks, 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders and am willing to listen to offers for players.

I could use another starting goaltender given I only have Schneider. And of course, I will consider forwards too.

So if I offered you Quick or Toews or Pavelski, you wouldn't trade?
Pavelski maybe, Quick no. Not because I don't like him, but his fantasy value is pretty average. He doesn't face a tonne of shots and his SV% is average. His Wins is the only good thing he has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick: 29 career shutouts and a 2.32 GAA is nothing to sneeze at for fantasy value...

Don't think whoever you pick first this draft will be more fantasy relevant than Quick.
Sorry, forgot about the GAA. Two categories, there are 6 in goalies.. and he's only good at 2. I'd rather spend it on Goals and Assists than waste it on a fantasy goalie who is useless.

and you'd chew off the hand of anyone who would offer Pavelski for this season's 1st pick (as would anyone), no "maybe" about it.
based on this years season, probably, but based on previous seasons I wouldn't. His shooting % was abnormally high so we'll see how he goes. Plus somehow I doubt first overall would get it done.

Sorry, forgot about the GAA. Two categories, there are 6 in goalies.. and he's only good at 2. I'd rather spend it on Goals and Assists than waste it on a fantasy goalie who is useless.

3 - W, GAA, SO

and you'd chew off the hand of anyone who would offer Pavelski for this season's 1st pick (as would anyone), no "maybe" about it.

Don't think whoever you pick first this draft will be more fantasy relevant than Quick.

This was my point.

And Brades, there are only 5 goalie cats - Quick is elite in 3, W, GAA, SHO, very good in 1, SV% and average in the other, SV

You may say you'd rather spend it on goals and assists, but from my experience, keep this in mind:

There's only 1 W every game, 1 SHO if your lucky (2 on a very rare occasion)

There might be 10 goals a game and 20 assists - of which your opponent might get the lions share.

Guess my point is, offence is easier to replace and obtain; and to say the only reason you wouldn't take Quick is because you don't like him

This was my point.

And Brades, there are only 5 goalie cats - Quick is elite in 3, W, GAA, SHO, very good in 1, SV% and average in the other, SV

You may say you'd rather spend it on goals and assists, but from my experience, keep this in mind:

There's only 1 W every game, 1 SHO if your lucky (2 on a very rare occasion)

There might be 10 goals a game and 20 assists - of which your opponent might get the lions share.

Guess my point is, offence is easier to replace and obtain; and to say the only reason you wouldn't take Quick is because you don't like him
You mean his 26th in the league SV% - how is that good?

I'm 9th in goals, 6th in assists, 7th in PPP. The only offence category I'm any decent in is GWG.. somehow I'm first. Apart from wins and saves, I'm around the mark in all the other categories in goalies. My team needs offence more, it has been my weakest part for the past 3 seasons.

Well done on the win PG. Great run for the cup from the 6th seed. I traded hard and I thought I had a really good chance for a strong run but in the end my goaltending could't keep up with PG's tending in our first round match up.

I've got a lot of high end forwards that I'll be trading for the right goalie.

I'm going to list my keepers now, and put an asterisk next to untouchable..

1. Ryan Getzlaf *
2. Henrik Lundqvist *
3. Logan Couture
4. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
5. Keith Yandle
6. Ryan O'Reilly
7. Henrik Zetterberg
8. Matts Zuccarello

Rookies:
9. Brandon Pirri
10. Jaden Schwartz
11. Olli Maata

I realise that Zuccarello is still a rookie, but I have no other keepers that I want. Justin Schultz I want to keep, but I don't have a slot - so I'm after another keeper spot or I'll trade him and another for an upgrade on a player if possible.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back