Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi KM, Brayshaw better 'age for age' than Wines and Dunstan? Is he really worth a top 3 or 4 given the talls available. How much of his dominance would be due to a general lack of high quality mids early in the draft. Ie, where would he have gone last year - after Kelly??

Last edited:
What's mcCartin like height and size any comparison

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Current players. Similar size to Roughead. Just not the mobile, ground level freak Roughead is.

KM, if you were picking for the dogs, would you take Goddard or Lamb and why? Or Jake Lever?

I think we will have a pick in the 6-10 range, which obviously won't be enough for Wright/McCartin.

Probably Goddard, mostly because he's the only guy you look at and know is a key position player.

Lamb is a freak of a forward but isn't a true key position player and Lever while he may become a key defender more likely settles as a third tall.

That said I think the Dogs finish too high for Goddard.

Although the Crows bounced back well yesterday I agree we've got a lot of work to do in order to make the 8.

In any case, is there any chance someone like Durdin can do a Wingard and slide past the first 5 picks?

Hard to see Durdin sliding past pick 5. He's a quality talent and anyone who's watched him knows it but funnier things have happened with that Brodie Grundy guy at the same time a couple of years back a consensus top 3 selection so you can never say never this far out. It's just highly unlikely.

Hey KM I was wondering what you know about Kade Answerth from Oakleigh and also for next years draft Theo Thompson from Sandy Dragons?

The Caufield Grammar connection eh?

Answerth is starting to get regular games in the TAC Cup which is a good start. Not on my radar yet but always happy to keep a lookout and will take note if/when he starts to dominate games.

I don't believe Thompson has debuted yet at TAC Cup level or if he has I'm not aware of it yet.

Hi KM, Brayshaw better 'age for age' than Wines and Dunstan? Is he really worth a top 3 or 4 given the talls available. How much of his dominance would be due to a general lack of high quality mids early in the draft. Ie, where would he have gone last year - after Kelly??

Wines is better than Brayshaw. Brayshaw is better than Dunstan. He's someone I'd certainly say with further improvement can enter that conversation as a similar immediate quality midfielder.

I'd take a tall first if a guy looks like he can hold down a key position post for the next 10 years but short of that I'd be pretty happy with Brayshaw who looks a ripper in his own right as someone who can be a key component of a good midfield.

Brayshaw may if you consider his age have featured somewhere in the 5-10 range. Melbourne last year at 9 I expect would have favoured him to Salem.

Interesting that two OK TAC Cup games takes a guy from the 30's into "Potential A Grader"

Last edited:
Thoughts on Petracca KM?

If he can prove he can play midfield this year he'll shoot up the rankings IMO, I'd still have him fairly high up anyway.

Dominant forward but he really needs to prove that he can dominate as a full time onballer to be a top end selection. At 185cm he's not dominating as a forward and monstering guys thanks to size.

I half expect as dominant as he is that he'll feature mid draft as dominant as he is - similar to Membrey (Sydney) a couple of years back but he's still got the opportunity to go high if he has a strong u18 champs and shows he can make this transition.

Okay, KM. Carlton continue to bomb in 2014 and end up with pick 5 and pick 6 for Gibbs. Who do we select to ensure we have a tall marking forward capable of kicking 50 goals a season some time this decade?

It's not clear any of Wright, Durdin, McCartin or Goddard are available. Many have them top four on their draft boards. If one slides Carlton must jump at them and take the next best available with the other pick.

Wright and possibly McCartin are the guys I see as potential 50 goal a year key forwards. Durdin may settle in the back half but could he if becomes a full time forward.

Goddard I'm not as confident in and I see him more as a slightly better Sam Day who can be good and a key component to a team but probably not your centerpiece key forward to build around.

Hey Knightmare not sure if you keep notes from previous years or what your database is like but a few Essendon posters are asking questions about one Alistair Kefferd. A 22 year old KPF who has some tricks to work with. Wondering if you had a draft profile or any knowledge from his draft year (presumably 2010).

Dominant forward but he really needs to prove that he can dominate as a full time onballer to be a top end selection. At 185cm he's not dominating as a forward and monstering guys thanks to size.

I half expect as dominant as he is that he'll feature mid draft as dominant as he is - similar to Membrey (Sydney) a couple of years back but he's still got the opportunity to go high if he has a strong u18 champs and shows he can make this transition.

He's started playing as a mid this year already hasn't he? Including one game where he had 20 contested possessions if I heard right.

Any info on james culleton from south fremantle? Small forward can run through the guts, like his goal nouse and intensity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Collingwood atleast rookie list Mitch Thorp if not, use a pick in the 90's or 100's for him, wish we Rookied him last year as he would be very handy right about now for support up forward, and he would be an instant impact 30-50 goal 3rd tall. Only born at the end of 1988 meaning he would be 26 for the entire 2015 season and would be able to play football for 5+ years. Has leadership and coaching skills and at the very least would provide a 70-100 goal scorer a season for the VFL side.

Who would suit Adelaide's needs and is a realistic chance to get to our range?

Hey Knightmare not sure if you keep notes from previous years or what your database is like but a few Essendon posters are asking questions about one Alistair Kefferd. A 22 year old KPF who has some tricks to work with. Wondering if you had a draft profile or any knowledge from his draft year (presumably 2010).

Kefferd is not one I took note of in his draft year. From memory he played most of the year in the TAC but didn't stand out at the time.

He's started playing as a mid this year already hasn't he? Including one game where he had 20 contested possessions if I heard right.

You are correct he did have the 20 contested possessions in round one through the midfield. He's still a more dominant forward at the moment and needs to continue to improve up the ground. Certainly within his capabilities though.

Any info on james culleton from south fremantle? Small forward can run through the guts, like his goal nouse and intensity

I've seen some of Culleton's games but haven't noted him specifically. Comes across as a nice tackling small but would like to see him hit the scoreboard more.

I hope Collingwood atleast rookie list Mitch Thorp if not, use a pick in the 90's or 100's for him, wish we Rookied him last year as he would be very handy right about now for support up forward, and he would be an instant impact 30-50 goal 3rd tall. Only born at the end of 1988 meaning he would be 26 for the entire 2015 season and would be able to play football for 5+ years. Has leadership and coaching skills and at the very least would provide a 70-100 goal scorer a season for the VFL side.

I wanted Thorp last year also. Wouldn't have minded him instead of Armstrong but we'll see how he goes this year and see if he's still on the radar.

Still a quality talent and is someone I see as a possible component of a front half at AFL level.

Who would suit Adelaide's needs and is a realistic chance to get to our range?

Jarrod Pickett is a nice list fit. Weller, Lever, Lamb and Maynard are others Adelaide likely look in the probable 6-10 range to give you an idea of some names to look out for.

Hey KM,
Any good midfielders you can see still around in the second round? Heard a lot of the better inside mids are small so could get overlooked early. If we were to go say Pickett in the first round could there be a good inside prospect still going around at our second pick?

I just really didn't like what Moore did in the back end of 2012/2013.

He's playing better footy now that he's healthy and I'm only starting to come around to the consensus that Moore is a 1st round talent.

My power rankings are floating so there will be other crazy fluctuations in ratings over the season I'm sure as I see more and notice more things about particularly guys.

Hey KM,
Any good midfielders you can see still around in the second round? Heard a lot of the better inside mids are small so could get overlooked early. If we were to go say Pickett in the first round could there be a good inside prospect still going around at our second pick?

Pickett looks like a top 10 selection at this stage and looks unlikely to slide.

Smaller mids can slide with clubs looking at the recent success those bigger Fremantle mids are having at the moment which just means that a few smaller types might go lower than they perhaps should.

Jaden McGrath and Bradley Walsh are two smaller mids who I can imagine drop into the second round. Both can really play and look like good gets. As Richmond have recently added a stuck of high volume, low quality ball use types I'd look at McGrath to add some more class as a mid/fwd. Despite my first round positioning of him at this point I expect he's considered more a second round selection and if others rise up the draft rankings then he could be an excellent value get in the second round with his talent.

I like the McGrath for us to add some class but we've been reluctant to take sub-180 guys in the past. Any idea of Weller and McGrath's testing? Who would be the quickest guys going around outside the first round guys like Pickett/Smith.
Jordan Cunico looks pretty quick and is a real good height and uses the ball quite well
Brett Anderson wrote in Inside Football, quick and naturally talented player. Has elite skills on either side of his body and can break the lines with his run and carry and played for Vic Country as a bottom ager

Jordan Cunico looks pretty quick and is a real good height and uses the ball quite well
Brett Anderson wrote in Inside Football, quick and naturally talented player. Has elite skills on either side of his body and can break the lines with his run and carry and played for Vic Country as a bottom ager
Remember him from last year. Don't remember him really standing out for his speed from what I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back