VFL VFL Round 2: Sandringham vs Box Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

crickey. i have never been so wrong about a draftee before. i was against drafting acres but kick me sideways he can play

i can see the comparisons to fyfe. he just might best of the lot if he can get the body right

his work through traffic is amazing. just seems to read it so well and find space

Any particularly reasons? We saw very little of him at the champs but his w.a colts form was outstanding. Was very popular in the "bigfooty world"

Any particularly reasons? We saw very little of him at the champs but his w.a colts form was outstanding. Was very popular in the "bigfooty world"

Thought he was half back flanker that looked good in a lose role. Was more keen on going for an out and out mid.

But I've been proven 200% wrong. It's not like I watch colts anyway. Most I keep up with is subi or what others are saying

Plus he was a falcon. For those over east that's like Carlton or the pies

Thought he was half back flanker that looked good in a lose role. Was more keen on going for an out and out mid.

But I've been proven 200% wrong. It's not like I watch colts anyway. Most I keep up with is subi or what others are saying

You deserve the sack for disagreeing with me. ;)

Yer fair enough. He has the ability to play anywhere, I hope we don't develop him as a defender and I don't think we will. I'd like to see him start on the wing, perhaps a similar role to Farren Ray before coming a full time mid. It's going to be interesting to see how the coaches play and develop Blake in terms of his role/position. If the stars align for us and Blake he really has the potential to become a Nate Fyfe/ BJ (circa 2010) player.

A Steven, Billings, Dunstan, Acres midfield in a few years could be well..........delicious

Well found Stanley. What a great write up of Acres, with the listing of him as number 1 in WA. Quotes from this that stood out to me:

1. Blake Acres

Acres is clean, crisp and any other adjective you want to use to describe an elite ball user and here's the big one, an elite decision maker, there are no hail marys, no long bombs, no kicking for touch. Acres hates to waste the ball, think of a Pendlebury or a Mundy, these players wait that extra half second to identify a more advantageous target and have the required skill, by both hand and foot to hit these targets 9 times out of 10. It opens up the play, it's an intangible that will never show up on any stat metric, the ability to weight a foot bass, or a handball so a teammate doesn't have to break stride is gold, absolute gold.

Acres for me, is the complete package from WA, he's won the gene lottery, he has had a brother to torment and compete against, honing his skills from an early age on the field and at home, his ball winning ability is unquestionable. Decision making is elite, a capable overhead mark with an instinct for goal.

No Amro2Roo - the comment from Thunda about disposal in the Frankston game, was about Cam Shenton.

As opposed to doing what we should have and using a 2nd rookie pick on making Cockie look a listed St Kilda player?!

As much as all this chat about recent Saints signings is grand, I'm most intrigued by Milera. In 2013 he was finding it impossible to get the ball. After a proposed posiiton change and working in the offseason with the defenders, he looked nearly out on his ear. Now he's getting 27 in the VFL. Is he looking like he's got enough to run through the middle? Seems too lightweight to me.

Just on this, I see it time and time again with indigenous players. Blokes like Walters, Garlett, the Jettas are all pigeon holed as forwards because of their 'silky skills' and 'flair' but played as midfielders in their underage years or in VFL now in the case of the Jettas.

When we drafted Milera he was a mid, not even an outside one if you look at his highlights from his draft year, he would go in and do all the tough stuff. I recommend everyone have a look at the clip, in fact I might find it myself. But it seems to happen all the time, and indigenous players like any player will struggle with a change of position that they aren't suited to.

Anyways had a quick look and couldn't find the video, but the way he is playing in the VFL this year is much closer to what his output was like at Port Adelaide

Just on this, I see it time and time again with indigenous players. Blokes like Walters, Garlett, the Jettas are all pigeon holed as forwards because of their 'silky skills' and 'flair' but played as midfielders in their underage years or in VFL now in the case of the Jettas.

When we drafted Milera he was a mid, not even an outside one if you look at his highlights from his draft year, he would go in and do all the tough stuff. I recommend everyone have a look at the clip, in fact I might find it myself. But it seems to happen all the time, and indigenous players like any player will struggle with a change of position that they aren't suited to.

Anyways had a quick look and couldn't find the video, but the way he is playing in the VFL this year is much closer to what his output was like at Port Adelaide
Milera was rail thin when he got here in 2011 so I'm assuming the coaches thought he's not going to be able to get near the ball in the midfield. Hope he gets another crack at it soon.

Wasn't there a point at last years draft, just after Dunstans name was read out, it had Trout (?) turn around and say something to the table behind him, before reading out Acres name?

Probably was saying to everyone 'can't believe this, you ******* beauty'!

#winning :cool:
I recall the Saints were set to draft Billy Hartung at 19 (Hawks took him at 24) when they nearly fell out of their seats when Acres was still available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yer fair enough. He has the ability to play anywhere, I hope we don't develop him as a defender and I don't think we will. I'd like to see him start on the wing, perhaps a similar role to Farren Ray before coming a full time mid. It's going to be interesting to see how the coaches play and develop Blake in terms of his role/position. If the stars align for us and Blake he really has the potential to become a Nate Fyfe/ BJ (circa 2010) player.

A Steven, Billings, Dunstan, Acres midfield in a few years could be well..........delicious

100% agree. i agree with the ray comparison

I recall the Saints were set to draft Billy Hartung at 19 (Hawks took him at 24) when they nearly fell out of their seats when Acres was still available.

he has the potential to go past sheed IMO, guess the eagles didnt want too speculate too much and were keen on going with sheed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back